Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by AlanOfTheBerg
q326nn wrote:The phone must be in the portrait position for the wave and tap to work. If the phone is positioned landscape, it will not start the voice commands. I am using an iPhone 5S.
This is correct. It is an iOS limitation: it disables the proximity sensor when the phone is in landscape mode.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
KuniaKid wrote:Now it only works when I'm sitting in my house. Doesn't do me any good there. I have use a Composite AV cable and never have used BlueTooth. I've submitted a bug report for my issue.
I would not be surprised if this bug causes Waze to be unable to use anything except the built-in microphone for voice command input.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:The secret in the phrasing, is to say "closed lane" and not "lane closed." When Waze reports back what it is reporting, it specifically says "reporting closed lane" and not "reporting lane closed." After listening to the phrase upon successfully getting Waze to report a lane closed, I now get a 75% success rate for reporting a closed lane.
Can you specify which lane is closed (and how many)? i.e. When the construction sign says "Right Two Lanes Closed", can you say "Closed Lane Right Two"?
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
cigator wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
cigator wrote:The only voice command that I can get to work is drive. I have tried "switch off" and it never recognizes the command. Am I missing something?
Due to noisy cars, voice commands rarely work without the use of a headset or in-car BT integration.
I have my phone paired to a Motorola Roadster BT transceiver, so my voice should be picked up with that, not the phones microphone. Seems like a software bug.
Not all headsets are compatible - it depends on several factors including HOW (which protocols) your headset connects to your phone - some will only connect the mic for phone calls. My Jawbone headset works great (Calls, Directions, Voice Commands, etc), but my other one doesn't work with voice commands.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by Ankh-Morpork
I'm having a lot of trouble using voice commands. The "Report moderate/heavy traffic" one works fine, because I'm standing (almost) still.
But as soon as I'm driving and wanting to report whatever, Kate the Waze lady (UK) gets really confused. She doesn't recognise "report" or "hazard" at all. I keep trying, a bit louder every time, up to the point where I'm almost shouting at her to get her to hear me, and then she replies with "cancelled". Well, no! And now I'm well past the hazard so I can't do it again. -_-

Do I have to change a sound setting maybe? When reporting she talks over my car audio as a blue tooth phone call, so I assume she uses the car microphone to listen? I'm not that tech savvy. But normal calls work fine with the microphone.

Apart from that, the word "Select" is pronounced in the oddest of ways: *Sel*-ect, not se-*lect*. ** being the stressed part.
Ankh-Morpork
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites.
https://image.ibb.co/eooB87/Map_Raid_Russia.png

Post by Ankh-Morpork
vince1612 wrote:
Chris_DeSantis wrote: You're not the only one. My experience usually goes like this:

Me: Three finger tap. wait 5 seconds for the microphone to turn green
Waze: How can I help?
Me: Vehicle stopped on shoulder
Waze: One more time?
Me: Vechicle stopped on shoulder!
Waze: Couldn't hear you. Try again.
Me: VEHICLE STOPPED ON SHOULDER, YOU @#$%* COW!!!
Waze: Cancelled
Have you tried saying it like the help page illustrates with the list of voice commands?
  1. App listens, say: "Report Hazard"
    wait, app asks you to specify between several choices
  2. App listens again, say: "Shoulder"
    wait, app asks you to specify between several choices
  3. App listens again, say: "Car stopped"
I've never had any problems with it, nowhere is it written that you can make a full sentence directly and that it will understand.
The swearing sounds very familiar :oops:

@Vince, I, for one, have tried "Report Hazard", and even just "Report". I've tried a whole sentence, I've tried one or two words, I've tried different combinations. When I'm standing still, both "Report Hazard" and "Report" will work fine and she'll ramble on about what options I have. When driving (and I'm talking 30+ mph, usually 50-60), she'll just keep spinning, followed by the "Can't hear you!" and then a very rude "Cancelled!"
Ankh-Morpork
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites.

Post by Ankh-Morpork
Fair enough, I just wanted to clarify in case it wasn't clear in my initial post. *thumbs up*

I'd file a bug report if I knew for certain it wasn't my car that's the culprit. As is, it could be a number of things, and that's not helpful for the Support folks. I don't really drive my SO's car, so I can't test it out it in that one. So I'll see what I can do to narrow it down. Only two people so far (recently), so it's not like it's a widespread problem either.
Ankh-Morpork
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by Ankh-Morpork
Heyjaypay wrote:I have noticed recently that the voice commands aren't working, especially when trying to report a hazard on the road. Reporting traffic, police, etc. Works most of the time but whenever I try to report a hazard, It keeps saying "try again", "I didn't hear you" and finally "canceled". I know it's not myself who's too quiet, as I'm almost shouting trying to get it to hear me :x . I have a feeling it has something to do with spotify and my music, but turning down/pausing my music doesn't help either. It would be nice if waze could not only fix this issue but also add a feature to pause spotify when you wave or tap the screen with three fingers to make voice commands easier to hear :roll: . Anyone else having this issue? If so, any temporary fixes?
Yes, I still have the same problem. It could previously only understand me when driving really slow, but with the latest version even when standing still it refuses to understand me. When previously "Report heavy traffic" worked fine, with the latest version it now sits there listening and doing nothing while I'm repeating the command louder and louder each time. It's just not worth it anymore, this way.
Ankh-Morpork
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by Annie-Od
I am new to Waze and can't get voice commands to work on my Samsung Galaxy Prime. Can anyone help? I have followed all of the instructions I have found without success.
Annie-Od
Send a message

Post by Annie-Od
Although I am still new to Waze, I have been able to resolve a few of my issues with Voice Commands and thought I would post that information here in case it helps someone else. I use a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime phone, Android 5.1.1 and Waze Version 4.5.0.1

I started with no access to Voice Commands at all. Went into Waze > Settings > Voice Commands and Enabled and set to Activate with 3 fingers. Unfortunately, my Samsung Galaxy Core Prime does not recognize 3 fingers as a "gesture". When that didn't work, I changed the selection to 3 fingers or wave.

With that I was able to get the Voice Command screen with the microphone. But, it would always show as "Waiting". It seemed to not hear me. I got out of Waze and went into my phone settings. Under System I chose Language and input > Voice input. Apparently my phone did not default to any type of voice input. I first chose Enhanced Google Service, but for some reason (which I don't understand yet) that didn't work. Then I chose Basic Google Recognition and exited settings.

I went back into Waze with that setting, and now Voice Commands work. It doesn't always recognize what I am saying, but I have able to do several reports by voice. If I figure that out, I'll let you know.

Hopefully, this is helpful to someone. :D
Annie-Od
Send a message