Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by floppyrod84
Waze does love the M6 Toll and with good reason. It's at least 10-20% quicker than the M1 or M6, mainly because you have to pay for it.
If you can give us a rough start and end point, and the route you think Waze should take you, we can have a look and see if there are any map problems causing this.
FYI, you'd have got a quicker response from someone in the UK if you had posted in the UK subforum ;-)
Oh, waze does indeed use smaller roads, better than other SatNav apps I find, but the map must be correct, etc.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Wow, nice work with a wealth of information to look at. How I wish more wazers were like this!
I've tried to grab the same route now (10:14pm Tues 17th July) and it's given me A4114, A45, A452, A446 and the M6 to Junction 14.
This is the 2nd route, the first one being pretty much the length of the M6 Toll which is 5 minutes faster according to waze.
I'll take a look at each of those "better" routes and see if there's anything missing or wrong on the waze side. Bear in mind, waze will try to keep to fast roads as much as possible, i.e. lock towards motorways BUT, have you tried this route with the "Avoid Highways" option on? It will avoid the M6 and the M6 Toll completely and may well give the A34 route as an option.
Remember you will need to press the Routes button if the one Waze gives you first off isn't the one you think is right. Especially on longer routes like this where there are a couple of choices with motorways, A roads and that.

Will look into the A34 first off, see if there's anything obvious causing the problem.
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Ok it's taken a good half hour, but there's nothing on any of those routes that is jumping out at me there.
My only suggestion would be, go the way you think is best with Waze running, let it keep rerouting and at the point where it starts following you the way you want, drop a Map Error report, as this will probably be the point where there is an error (if any).
It could be that even with the M6 and Toll backed up, Waze's algorithm isn't accounting for other possibilities because of the "importance" of using supposedly faster roads like motorways.
There are some URs in and around these routes, but I don't see any that would affect routing. I would say it's a lack of data, but looking at the number of GPS tracks around there, it's definitely not that.
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
I completely agree.
So the problem isn't that there aren't reports on those Motorways, as you say there are plenty of wazers around Brum. Seems from the evidence it's the routing algorithm being stupid.
On a Friday evening, do you see automated waze reports (the coloured roads) on them motorways? Could be a lack of historical data if everyone just avoids it.
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Hmm... Maybe this is one to give directly to Waze. Give them all of this information through the NanoRep section on the Support page. Their algorithms may need tuning or refining.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
As far as I can tell there are no problems that would cause this. It appears to be a routing algorithm error.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Which seems to suggest that Brian is in fact correct.
I never used to be routed around a particular traffic build up at the same time every day. It wasn't until enough data was gathered on that road and the alternatives that Waze understood what it was like.
Include map errors, and the chances of it ever working are near on impossible.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Also, the way the algorithms work will never be divulged by Waze. It's their secret sauce, so we as editors and users can only speculate on how it works.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
They are probably going to sell anonymous drive data, yes. They would have no need to supply any internal code with it...

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by gerben
I checked the first half of the last route. TR's were OK, but in the beginning there are two locations where over a short distance, normal streets were used.
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png