These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

speed limit of the road on the map

Post by
I just started using Waze and it is the greatest navagation app I have used. I searched the settings but did not see an option to have the speed limit of the road you are traveling displayed on the map it shows my speed. Is there a way to enable that or is that currently under development.

If this question has been posted before my appologies.

POSTER_ID:8551279

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
prandez wrote:The current speed limit feature would be a great improvement for me. Roads in Spain are not always well signed and it is easy to overspeed without noticing.
Sure seems like it would be very difficult, if you can't find the speed of a road when you're on it, to figure out what speed to enter into Waze...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
tgfathergoose wrote:What's the normal speed on a primary street? 35-45 mph? What's the speed on a minor highway? 55-65?
I've got hundreds of miles, maybe thousands, in rural areas of the state where the speed limit is 55+ on regular roads. Some I set to Primary Street just to keep a grid of collector-type roads more visible and for good routing. They won't be set to anything higher because they aren't functionally a highway of any kind.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
realc4ever wrote:Maybe i don't mind a 5 minute delay to my destination if i can avoid the traffic. there should be an option where the user can set the amount in which waze will reroute regardless of an eta change.
Waze stated at the January meetup this year that one of the future user-profile options will be some levels which can be set to determine how "aggressive" Waze will try to re-route you. Based on the feature set they are implementing first, this is likely still some months away.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by bgodette
RallyChris wrote:Some users think this is a needed feature as it is sometimes hard to tell what the speed limit is in an unfamiliar area, and it may not be well signed.
This particular problem has a trivial solution: keep to the outside lane(s) and don't go faster than surrounding traffic. Just like you were hopefully taught in Drivers Ed and the rules of the road booklet. As for residential, you'll never get a ticket for driving too slow unless you're impeding traffic which basically refers back to first rule of thumb.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
tgfathergoose wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
tgfathergoose wrote:What's the normal speed on a primary street? 35-45 mph? What's the speed on a minor highway? 55-65?
I've got hundreds of miles, maybe thousands, in rural areas of the state where the speed limit is 55+ on regular roads. Some I set to Primary Street just to keep a grid of collector-type roads more visible and for good routing. They won't be set to anything higher because they aren't functionally a highway of any kind.
I understand what you're saying, let's keep the app looking pretty. But strictly following the definitions in http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Road_Types_%28USA%29 are those rural 55+ roads acting more like a minor highway or a primary street?
They aren't classified as a highway of any type by CDOT, even on unofficial lists. They're primary county roads. How they're Typed doesn't matter until you get to "long" routes where the route pruning becomes even more aggressive.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
jeff412 wrote:I need it to prevent me from getting a speeding ticket.
There's a tried and true method to avoid getting a speeding ticket. Don't speed. You don't even need to know what the speed limit is, you just need to look outside your windscreen and not drive faster than everyone else and not drive 6 inches off the bumper of the car in front of you.

IOW if you don't drive like an asshat the cops won't notice you from the 1000's of other asshats around you, all breaking one traffic law or another along with you, and decide that you're the lucky winner today.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
jeff412 wrote:If you lived where I do, or if you have traveled like I have perhaps you would have a different perspective on the world around you. Not everyone lives in a big city with "1000's" of vehicles around. I live in a small rural community where a traffic jam is defined by two cars stopped in the road talking to each other. Speed limit signs are easily covered by overgrowth. Get your heads out of your ____'s and realize that your perspective on the world around you isn't the only one.
BFE is even easier; it's as fast as the harvester will go. The same rules apply, don't drive like an idiot and Deputy Strate won't be picking you that day.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by bgodette
gkpdx wrote:
xteejx wrote:Who is going to pay for this data that has already been collected? Plus the licensing issues, and who would own the data after its been updated etc?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
Suppose another company owns rights to a suitable dataset, is willing to license it and wants money. Then the clever negotiating initiative may be to use Waze’ rapidly growing user base and its unique, easy and fun, user-driven update model to arrive at a mutually beneficial ongoing agreement that would produce a "best in class" feature for both companies.
Just like GasBuddy partnered with Waze to grow their base and coverage... oh wait...

It's all my phone's fault for using Tapatalk.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Well, the wazer that gets the ticket can correct the speed limit on the map. Just like providing the jam data to the wazer behind you when you get caught in the jam.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
hohum3001 wrote:I've read a lot of posts here & I have this to say: most people seem to want speed limit information. I think the argument about whether to have it or why is null & void; it'll eventually be a part of waze.

Aside from the obvious convenience of having something beeping at me if I'm watching the road instead of the speedo and going to fast, personally I'd like to see what the speed limit should be for the following reasons:
With all due respect I find your reasons to be misguided. Waze is designed to use actual speed data. I think it would be a mistake to rely on user inputs of government set speeds instead of this real data that waze collects.
hohum3001 wrote:1) traffic is travelling at <x>% of the speed limit. e.g. 25 miles per hour in a 55 miles per hour zone is slow; 25 miles an hour in 30 miles an hour is normal
Under this theory practically all roads leaving Washington, DC at 5:00 PM will be marked slow. I just don't find it useful to have the entire map marked slow.
hohum3001 wrote:2) major routes - do they scew the data any? If I travel a parking-lot road during peak @ 2am, it's going to be FAST because nobody's on it. In truth I don't know if waze accounts for periods in the day - if it doesn't it should.
Waze does account for periods in the day.
hohum3001 wrote:3) a "if there were no traffic on the road, this way would be fastest" route could be offered
Again, I think this option would be better if based on real speed data than if based on speed limit data.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902