These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Unable to start without high precision location?

Post by bomba6
Waze 4.23.0.3 now requires high location accuracy settings.
In previous versions you could just hit "back" and ignore the message.
In this version this is no longer an option and you must change the location settings globally. Otherwise, Waze will simply close. :evil:

Waze currently has permissions on Location, and my phone location settings are GPS only.

Rolling back to previous version.
bomba6

Post by bomba6
low_wh74 wrote:WAZE 4.23.0.4 for Android is now available in Google Play Store.
Same behavior in 4.23.0.4.
bomba6

Post by AH-NEast
Agree that this block must be removed. Waze is demanding a system setting be changed which is not required. GPS "Device Only" mode is more than adequate for a mapping app.

Rolling back until sorted.
AH-NEast

Post by denialo
i'm very concerned about this new "minor bug fix / improvement" about mandatory sending anonymous location data to google even when no apps are running and am reverting back to older version where also the popup to enable "high" precision should be removed completely & forthwith.
denialo

Post by agent101
I am signing under every word in this thread. Waiting for fix. Until then - I heard here maps traffic info got better lately, will be checking this out!
agent101

Post by br3623
Agree completely, left one star review in google play, will use maps until waze can be GPS only again without annoying prompt at every start-up....
br3623

Post by AndreyKarpenkoSpeedy
Hi I have the same issue with new version of Waze on One plus one. I'm thinking to uninstall Waze ... I have no choice :(

Post by betteroffcamping
Okay, I'm putting in my 2 cents. I, too, and really unhappy with this new requirement. I am very concerned about my privacy and had to talk myself into using Waze regularly back in 2010 because of my concerns. "GPS - only" mode is how I have my location for all things, and now Waze requires "high accuracy" mode. Worse, it's on globally, permanently. I have to remember to turn it off when I'm done, and that's frequently forgotten (by design, I'm sure). Remember, Google, when your motto was "do no evil"? I'm having my doubts.

Waze - as addicted as I am to your application and service, and as much as I've contributed in both map updates and traffic reports, I am seriously considering dropping you like a hot potato. I do NOT appreciate being given an ultimatum like this, and I WILL choose to not use this app if I must.

BACK OFF.

Post by agent101
Well well well, just got new waze version and from the first glance it seems that we've been heard and high precision location is not mandatory anymore, message still exists on program launch.
agent101

Post by bomba6
wazber1 wrote:The app updated today on my phone and the problem seems to be solved. Even the message of previous versions seems to be gone. Way to go Waze! Thank you.
Can confirm.
Version 4.24.0.2 removed that message (and also the old popup).

Thanks Waze.
bomba6