Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Incident Reports - Which Side of Road?

Post by Bschorr
One thing I found challenging using Waze in Los Angeles this week was that there were a LOT of incident reports (Traffic, cars on shoulder, etc.) which was fine, but it was impossible to know if the incident was on my side of the road or not.

It would be great if you could adjust the display of the incident "balloon" so that it was "facing" the direction the incident is on. i.e. incidents on my side of the road would appear as they do now, incidents on the other side would be upside down.

Alternatively - how about rotating the incident balloons 90 degrees so that incidents on the right-side of the road, jutted off to the right from the map, while incidents on the left side jutted out on the left-side?

Maybe even an option to not even display incidents on the other side of the road?
Bschorr

POSTER_ID:8108051

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
In routing mode, I can see how this would be possible, but for any other road, there's no way for Waze to properly indicate if it is "my direction" or the "other direction" because "my direction" is undefined in those cases.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by bretmcvey
Thank you for asking about this issue. I've often wondered if it was a futile attempt to report incidents that impact users going in the opposite direction on the same street. This is something either Waze needs to fix, disable or better explain the intentions of reporting (other lane).

I personally wouldn't mind a side of the lane/road option. I presently add a text detail when reporting a hazard to explain if the hazard is either towards to the Left-hand Shoulder or the Right-hand Shoulder of the road. Even when it comes to construction the ability to explain "Merge Right... Left Lane Closed" would be nice to have at some point.
bretmcvey
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 1
Send a message
Regional Coordinator - Plains Region
Global Waze Champ | Country Manager: USA | State Manager: Nebraska
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.png

Post by CBenson
kentsmith9 wrote:This does bring up two different questions I was going to clarify in the Wiki if anyone can confirm for sure. If not I will send a support question to clarify.

On a single road with both directions of travel, if someone reports an incident for their direction does the pop-up alert only appear for that direction? For things on the shoulder that makes sense, but for Police who can watch both directions or things that are in the middle of the road, both directions of travel would want to be alerted.
The pop-up only appears for the direction indicated in the report. There is currently no method (other than submitting multiple reports) to get the pop-up to display in both directions.
kentsmith9 wrote:On a divided highway separated into two one-way roads I believe Waze determines the roads are the same based on name and treats the "my lane" option as your current direction of travel and "other lane" as the opposite direction of travel. Have we confirmed that roads with named directionality are decoded properly, e.g., "I-80 N" and "I-80 S" are the same road for incident reporting purposes?
I do not believe that this actually works (at least in North America). If you submit an "other lane" report on a split road (i.e. a one way road), I do not believe that anyone will get the pop-up.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by floppyrod84
To be honest, the server infrastructure is the priority at the moment, and rightly so imo.
Give Waze a chance to fix the background stuff and I'm sure they'll be back to the usual workflow. :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
Bschorr wrote:It would be great if you could adjust the display of the incident "balloon" so that it was "facing" the direction the incident is on. i.e. incidents on my side of the road would appear as they do now, incidents on the other side would be upside down.
To be clear, are you aware that the option to mark the other lane, is speaking of the other direction of travel not just the left vs. right side of the road?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
This does bring up two different questions I was going to clarify in the Wiki if anyone can confirm for sure. If not I will send a support question to clarify.

On a single road with both directions of travel, if someone reports an incident for their direction does the pop-up alert only appear for that direction? For things on the shoulder that makes sense, but for Police who can watch both directions or things that are in the middle of the road, both directions of travel would want to be alerted.

On a divided highway separated into two one-way roads I believe Waze determines the roads are the same based on name and treats the "my lane" option as your current direction of travel and "other lane" as the opposite direction of travel. Have we confirmed that roads with named directionality are decoded properly, e.g., "I-80 N" and "I-80 S" are the same road for incident reporting purposes?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
CBenson wrote:
kentsmith9 wrote:On a single road with both directions of travel, if someone reports an incident for their direction does the pop-up alert only appear for that direction? For things on the shoulder that makes sense, but for Police who can watch both directions or things that are in the middle of the road, both directions of travel would want to be alerted.
The pop-up only appears for the direction indicated in the report. There is currently no method (other than submitting multiple reports) to get the pop-up to display in both directions.
If that is actually how it works, that is not very helpful for two-way roads when the police watch both directions of travel from either side of the road. Does anyone know if this has been discussed with the developers?
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by RallyChris
Yes this has been discussed, and in another thread it looks like other lane might be broken right now, but it is planned for a rework.

Unfortunately these type of polishing project just don't appear to be getting any developer time right now.
RallyChris
Send a message
Portland, OR / USA - Mega Mapper
Wiki: Area Manager | Map Editing | Known Issues List
Official Suggestion Websites (hosted by uservoice):
Waze Client | Waze Website / Editor
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/d/d9/W ... 00k_5c.png