Toll roads option in the client  Topic is solved

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Toll roads route preference changes

Postby MooMinIL » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:50 am

Hello,
I've been an avid waze user for years now and there's one thing that's been bothering me quite a bit:
The preferences regarding whether or not I would like to take a toll road are lacking one major option: "toll roads as a second priority".
For someone such as myself, who lives next to a toll road that is stupid expensive but occasionally useful (depending on the traffic) the default choice of road would be the free one, as the difference in travel time is usually somewhat negligible but one in a blue moon, I'm in a hurry and that toll road starts to look rather appealing.
The problem starts when I want to check how much faster the toll road would be and whether or not it's worth my money: right now the proper course of action is to navigate through multiple settings screens and turn the toll option on, then see if it's actually a better option in the routes screen and choose my route (not to mention the fact that of course I forget to change the settings after my drive so I have to go through a similar process on my next drive).
Doing all of this during the start of my drive is annoying at best and more often than not a downright dangerous distraction if I don't have a passenger.

To solve this I suggest a new and simple solution: instead of just having a just an option to allow toll roads or block them altogether, how about a third option(let's call it the money saving option): having the toll road appear as the second choice EVEN IF IT'S FASTER. That way, in order to compare the two all I have to do is ask for alternate routes and I can see how much faster the toll road is and choose it if I please.
This solution should be fairly simple to implement and I assume would make the use of waze that much simpler for many folk such as myself.
Good day =)
MooMinIL

Toll roads option in the client

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:16 pm

lakeyboy wrote:Is this something that is being worked on or is it just the way the 'avoid toll roads' feature is programmed?

This is likely part of what is being worked on. We continue to give Waze examples of bad toll routing and related issues and they claim to be working on it.

Tapatalk made me do it.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fvwazing » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:02 pm

Or an indicator, like this? If you get a list of alternatives it is in there too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358690532.288586.jpg
(44.98 KiB) Downloaded 2559 times
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:18 am

I think xteejx wants to point out that you are posting over a particular road in a thread that is dedicated to the worldwide implications of tollroads.
As there is no specific tollroad-thread for CA you may want to put your remarks here: viewtopic.php?t=22205
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:43 pm

I assume that "time and monetary based" means that there are different pricings depending on time of day - that is of no concern in Waze. It routes WITH or WITHOUT toll, price makes no difference. As soon as you have configured 90% of your tollgantries in the map (and have them live) you can ask Waze to enable the toll-switch on the phones.
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:12 am

No idea how much that is in my money, but it probably can be avoided. Did you read the wiki-section on Toll? (sorry, don't have the link on my phone)
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 am

olestas wrote:Don't forget about indication of place of toll and amount to pay. It would be super.

Forget the amount to pay. It differs per type of vehicle, time of day, day of week, number of passengers, type of fuel, amount of traffic on other roads.
fvwazing

Postby tigertanghao » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:27 am

fvwazing wrote:Given that some absolutely want to have an alternative INCLUDING toll and some want alternatives AVOIDING toll the solution can only be to show 1 alternative for each - and indicate which is toll. At least that indication is in the making.

Sorry, I don't like this idea. Avoid toll should same as avoid high way. High way don't show in 2nd /3rd option. Don't mean to mess up avoid high way after this. Waze just finally make it right for it(avoid freeway only).
If user NOT choose avoid toll road , it would be proper to show options with/ without toll road, and allow user to choose. But not otherway. It just destroy this feature.

Completely avoid toll please, if user choose so!!
tigertanghao

Postby fvwazing » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:12 am

Given that some absolutely want to have an alternative INCLUDING toll and some want alternatives AVOIDING toll the solution can only be to show 1 alternative for each - and indicate which is toll. At least that indication is in the making.
fvwazing

Postby tigertanghao » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:04 am

ellipsis wrote:It would be nice if you could completely avoid toll roads... I turned on the option, and now during my commute in Denver, the 2nd and 3rd option are ALWAYS tolls, which is pointless to me since the toll roads are ridiculously expensive and I'm never going to take them, even to save an hour. Between work and home, going on the toll road costs me around $20. There are enough other routes on my commute that I would have other options, but they're always a couple minutes longer than the toll routes and therefore never show up.

+100... It's very expensive in Toronto Canada as well. It make no sense to include in 2nd / 3rd option. I live close to a toll road. Have exactly same issue. Thought the avoid toll road would solve my problem. But seems only half. If user choose to avoid it, just completely avoid it please, please!!!
tigertanghao

Next

Return to Waze App