Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by harling
We have experienced first-hand the down-side of addressing this issue by making toll penalties cumulative: Eventually, the penalty builds up to the point where it is "better" to violate a turn restriction or directionality.

IMO, if you're already on a toll road when you start to navigate, and you have "avoid tolls" set, Waze can leave it to the driver to find a legal way off the toll system. Scenario: user has "avoid tolls" set, but on a particular trip selects an alternate route that includes a toll road. While on the toll road, Waze recalculates for whatever reason. Does the driver want Waze to keep trying to route him off of a toll road that he voluntarily entered?

This is another case where Waze should assume a certain amount of competence on the part of the driver. Exits on toll roads are usually clearly marked.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by harling
foxitrot wrote:If the driver were already on a Toll road, while his preference were "no toll" and the road would consist of an uninterrupted stretch of tolled segments, then the routing engine would have no problem to route him along the Toll road indefinitely long. But he should be navigated away, ASAP...
In my experience, exits from toll roads are usually clearly marked, and there aren't many opportunities to get lost or go off-track (e.g., they usually don't even let you reverse direction). If you're on a toll road and you navigate somewhere with "Avoid Tolls" enabled, I think it's fine if Waze lets you choose with the steering wheel whether to leave the toll road or not. Maybe you took this one toll road for a reason, and don't want Waze telling you to get off at every exit.
harling
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/a/ad/W ... os-sig.png
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.

Post by iniochos
Hi,

Greece covered over 90% of toll roads. Please enable avoid tolls option for driving directions in Greece.

Many thanks!
iniochos
Send a message

Post by Jan924
Hey,

is the option "avoid toll roads" activated for france already? I'm driving from germany to france the next week and would like to avoid them;)

But did i get it right, even if activated, i couldn't use it, as i'm a german wazer?

Cheers
Jan
Jan924
Send a message
AM Karlsruhe/Großraum Backnang (Rems-Murr-Kreis)

Post by Jan924
Problem is, i can't activate "avoid tollroads", because i just don't have this option;)
Jan924
Send a message

Post by Jan924
davipt wrote:
Pelle924 wrote:Problem is, i can't activate "avoid tollroads", because i just don't have this option;)
Oh, that. But isn't there any Auto-Bahn with tolls in Deutschland? I know the ones around Düsseldorf where I lived were all free, but I had a feeling there were some (update: wikipedia says no, only trucks and electronic non-stop payment).

You can always ask for the toll road option, because Nordschleife is officially a "public road with tolls" ;)

Update: it may happen that as soon as you cross the French border you may get an server push that may enable the avoid tolls. I'm not sure about this. This is based on the knowledge that my Portuguese friends when fly to Germany or Holland will get their clients update with the German or Dutch TTS languages, but no idea about the tolls nor am sure when the update happens - right after crossing, or may need a restart, or may need some hours, sorry.
well that would be shit if waze doesn't include the nordschleife in its routing anymore.. :D but yes we have no highways with tolls, but having the "avoid toll" option would make scence, just in case you'd like getting a route through other contries (which does happen in europe ;) )

but still the question if france even is activated for toll free routing..
Jan924
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
ottonomy wrote:I would like to see some differentiation in settings based upon whether a toll road is automated-only (no pay booths, but only sensors for on-board chips or transponders, like FastTrak) or a traditional toll road, where one can pay at a booth on a one-time basis. I don't mind paying for toll roads on occasion, when they will save me a great deal of time, so I leave the "avoid toll roads" setting switched to off. The problem is, sometimes Waze will direct me onto a toll road which has no option to pay as I go, and I have to figure out on the fly how to get out of the situation. In some cases, the "toll road" is actually just a toll lane, separated by some kind of barrier from the main road. When I don't enter that lane after Waze has instructed me to, because I have not got the required transponder device in my vehicle, Waze doesn't understand that I am now driving parallel on the main road instead, and as such will fail to give me the correct exit instructions, as the toll lanes sometimes exit to the left, and at different locations from the main road.
The Detour or Road Closed button we've been waiting for, and is in development on the back-end would help with this problem also.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
They should make the Toll Roads work the same way as Parking Lot Roads. They got that working perfectly.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:They should make the Toll Roads work the same way as Parking Lot Roads. They got that working perfectly.
But it isn't quite that simple everywhere. Parking lots have an "exit" penalty. If a Toll Road is made of bits where some are toll and some are not, then this "exit" penalty would apply multiple times.
But that's fine...if you have tolls set to "avoid", it'll still avoid them. If you have it turned off, it would ignore the restriction.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
paulkok_my wrote:
Un-install the app, delete the waze folder and re-install. That should solve the problem.
I think the question is, if all of the toll roads in Puerto Rico have been mapped, why hasn't the feature been enabled for Puerto Rico?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message