Toll roads option in the client  Topic is solved

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Toll roads option in the client

Postby floppyrod84 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:09 am

.....in your country and/or States FORUM....not here. Sheesh!
floppyrod84

Toll roads option in the client

Postby fvwazing » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:18 am

I think xteejx wants to point out that you are posting over a particular road in a thread that is dedicated to the worldwide implications of tollroads.
As there is no specific tollroad-thread for CA you may want to put your remarks here: viewtopic.php?t=22205
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby CBenson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:49 am

Or possibly here: viewforum.php?f=251
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jentdrive » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:13 pm

Is there a dedicated page I can bookmark with a list of countries with toll road support?

Also, I drive a 6.5 hour trip to visit my family but I end up paying about $40 each way over about six tolls. According to the Google Maps "avoid toll roads" option I can eliminate most of these and only add an hour to my trip. Will I be able to tap the "Routes" option and see a toll-free (or toll-minimized) alternative, even if it adds more time and distance to the route?

Thanks!
jentdrive

Postby ottonomy » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:02 pm

I would like to see some differentiation in settings based upon whether a toll road is automated-only (no pay booths, but only sensors for on-board chips or transponders, like FastTrak) or a traditional toll road, where one can pay at a booth on a one-time basis. I don't mind paying for toll roads on occasion, when they will save me a great deal of time, so I leave the "avoid toll roads" setting switched to off. The problem is, sometimes Waze will direct me onto a toll road which has no option to pay as I go, and I have to figure out on the fly how to get out of the situation. In some cases, the "toll road" is actually just a toll lane, separated by some kind of barrier from the main road. When I don't enter that lane after Waze has instructed me to, because I have not got the required transponder device in my vehicle, Waze doesn't understand that I am now driving parallel on the main road instead, and as such will fail to give me the correct exit instructions, as the toll lanes sometimes exit to the left, and at different locations from the main road.
Country Manager & Local Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - South Atlantic
Area Manager - Southern California
ottonomy
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:03 am

ottonomy wrote:I would like to see some differentiation in settings based upon whether a toll road is automated-only (no pay booths, but only sensors for on-board chips or transponders, like FastTrak) or a traditional toll road, where one can pay at a booth on a one-time basis. I don't mind paying for toll roads on occasion, when they will save me a great deal of time, so I leave the "avoid toll roads" setting switched to off. The problem is, sometimes Waze will direct me onto a toll road which has no option to pay as I go, and I have to figure out on the fly how to get out of the situation. In some cases, the "toll road" is actually just a toll lane, separated by some kind of barrier from the main road. When I don't enter that lane after Waze has instructed me to, because I have not got the required transponder device in my vehicle, Waze doesn't understand that I am now driving parallel on the main road instead, and as such will fail to give me the correct exit instructions, as the toll lanes sometimes exit to the left, and at different locations from the main road.

The Detour or Road Closed button we've been waiting for, and is in development on the back-end would help with this problem also.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:16 am

ottonomy wrote:I would like to see some differentiation in settings based upon whether a toll road is automated-only (no pay booths, but only sensors for on-board chips or transponders, like FastTrak) or a traditional toll road, where one can pay at a booth on a one-time basis. I don't mind paying for toll roads on occasion, when they will save me a great deal of time, so I leave the "avoid toll roads" setting switched to off. The problem is, sometimes Waze will direct me onto a toll road which has no option to pay as I go, and I have to figure out on the fly how to get out of the situation. In some cases, the "toll road" is actually just a toll lane, separated by some kind of barrier from the main road. When I don't enter that lane after Waze has instructed me to, because I have not got the required transponder device in my vehicle, Waze doesn't understand that I am now driving parallel on the main road instead, and as such will fail to give me the correct exit instructions, as the toll lanes sometimes exit to the left, and at different locations from the main road.

I think there are too many combinations to ever be able to get all that logic into a client, any client. I do understand you completely on the electronic only tolls - we've also got since some years in Portugal those electronic only billable sensors that forces people to buy the sensors - or even worse, forces the Spaniard to buy a Portuguese sensor just to enter our country, wth?!? - but at the end people should just buy the sensor (*) and on the client just decide to take a toll and pay or not. I've seen crazier requests like time based tolls or number-of-people-in-the-car based tolls and what not. It would be a slippery slop. Then what about an option on the client to say "I'd pay up to x amount of money" ;)

(*) unless using the sensor becomes more expensive than paying cache or with a card. Here in Portugal the sensor is tied to the debit card, so it's exactly the same price, and the sensor itself can be bought for something like €20 or €25 or paid monthly. And I know people that refuses to buy the sensor or to pay with any card for privacy concerns, but hey it's a public road and your car has a licence plate, what do you mean privacy? ;)
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby shirlig » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:24 pm

Toll roads feature has been enabled in Ireland!
shirlig
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby floppyrod84 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:57 pm

Umm...."potato"? :) (Irish parents)
floppyrod84

Postby g0wfv » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:46 pm

I've not read the whole thread, so apologies if this has been requested previously!

After a journey which involved a suggested route along the M6 toll, I enabled the avoid toll option to get a more 'pocket friendly' route, only to 'forget' to disable it on a journey where the expected route would have been the Dartford Crossing. The suggested route on that trip was via the Blackwall Tunnel, thus doing what it should, but not an ideal route for me!

I would like to see an 'avoid toll roads' option on a per journey basis. Some toll roads I prefer to avoid (ie M6 toll) whereas others I don't mind as the alternative route is a little convoluted (ie Dartford Crossing or Humber Bridge!)

Perhaps a popup that only appears if the global avoid is unselected and the route suggested then contains a toll road?
g0wfv

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App