Toll roads option in the client  Topic is solved

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Toll roads option in the client

Postby fvwazing » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:14 am

foxitrot wrote:Please, Carlos, excuse me for the rant.
scarlogarcia wrote:Hi, I don't know if I lost that information along the thread but, currently, anyone knows how long is a "long dirty road" from the feature "avoid long ones"?

I'm sure no one knows for sure.

I never mind a good rant, foxitrot. Helps setting priorities at times!

Dirt road was last looked into maybe less than a year ago, and it SEEMED at the time a relative thing - a percentage of total route length rather than a fixed distance. Bgodette tried something in his testrig that was obliterated soon after that, if I am not mistaken. With hindsight, that may have been sabotage :evil:!
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby scarlogarcia » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:16 am

I gonna make some tests to discover it and then I'll let you know
scarlogarcia
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Jan924 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Hey,

is the option "avoid toll roads" activated for france already? I'm driving from germany to france the next week and would like to avoid them;)

But did i get it right, even if activated, i couldn't use it, as i'm a german wazer?

Cheers
Jan
AM Karlsruhe/Großraum Backnang (Rems-Murr-Kreis)
Jan924

Postby davipt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:25 pm

Pelle924 wrote:Hey,

is the option "avoid toll roads" activated for france already? I'm driving from germany to france the next week and would like to avoid them;)

But did i get it right, even if activated, i couldn't use it, as i'm a german wazer?

Cheers
Jan

I don't see how the user's home country would affect the avoid-toll in another country ;)

About France, I have no idea, but why don't you try it yourself? Set a destination into Paris, with and without tolls, and see the results.

(let me try if I can go from Portugal to Paris without crashing the system :D)

Update: I'm pretty sure it works. With avoid-tolls I can't ever get a route - I doubt there is proper majors and minors connections through all Portugal (I know one of the roads I need to fix here) and then through Spain and France, whilst without avoid-tolls I get one route - but timeout if I ask for alternatives. It's 1400KM to Paris.

Too bad it doesn't work for such long distances. Back in 2005-2007 navigation worked perfectly form me with Wayfinder and Nokia devices - Düsseldorf-Lisbon is 2400KM. (full disclosure: I might have been involved in the shameful destruction of Wayfinder, I apologize for my small part in it)
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Jan924 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:15 pm

Problem is, i can't activate "avoid tollroads", because i just don't have this option;)
Jan924

Postby davipt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Pelle924 wrote:Problem is, i can't activate "avoid tollroads", because i just don't have this option;)

Oh, that. But isn't there any Auto-Bahn with tolls in Deutschland? I know the ones around Düsseldorf where I lived were all free, but I had a feeling there were some (update: wikipedia says no, only trucks and electronic non-stop payment).

You can always ask for the toll road option, because Nordschleife is officially a "public road with tolls" ;)

Update: it may happen that as soon as you cross the French border you may get an server push that may enable the avoid tolls. I'm not sure about this. This is based on the knowledge that my Portuguese friends when fly to Germany or Holland will get their clients update with the German or Dutch TTS languages, but no idea about the tolls nor am sure when the update happens - right after crossing, or may need a restart, or may need some hours, sorry.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Jan924 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 pm

davipt wrote:
Pelle924 wrote:Problem is, i can't activate "avoid tollroads", because i just don't have this option;)

Oh, that. But isn't there any Auto-Bahn with tolls in Deutschland? I know the ones around Düsseldorf where I lived were all free, but I had a feeling there were some (update: wikipedia says no, only trucks and electronic non-stop payment).

You can always ask for the toll road option, because Nordschleife is officially a "public road with tolls" ;)

Update: it may happen that as soon as you cross the French border you may get an server push that may enable the avoid tolls. I'm not sure about this. This is based on the knowledge that my Portuguese friends when fly to Germany or Holland will get their clients update with the German or Dutch TTS languages, but no idea about the tolls nor am sure when the update happens - right after crossing, or may need a restart, or may need some hours, sorry.

well that would be shit if waze doesn't include the nordschleife in its routing anymore.. :D but yes we have no highways with tolls, but having the "avoid toll" option would make scence, just in case you'd like getting a route through other contries (which does happen in europe ;) )

but still the question if france even is activated for toll free routing..
Jan924

Postby davipt » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:18 pm

Pelle924 wrote:
davipt wrote:

well that would be shit if waze doesn't include the nordschleife in its routing anymore.. :D but yes we have no highways with tolls, but having the "avoid toll" option would make scence, just in case you'd like getting a route through other contries (which does happen in europe ;) )

but still the question if france even is activated for toll free routing..

I've asked already for some consistency over Europe for features like avoid-tolls as we can freely drive around.

I'm sure the feature is enabled in France but I hope some French colleague can confirm it.

To further clarify non German readers the Nurbürgring Nordschleif - green hell - circuit can be driven by anyone because it's not considered a race track, but is officially "a regular one-way road with tolls". Of course the insurance companies are smart enough to find loopholes to avoid covering that *road*.

So officially there is one road with tolls and hence a reason to enable the feature!

Update: viewtopic.php?f=197&t=45045

Sent from my iTapatalk
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby foxitrot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:39 am

There is one major design flaw with toll roads and its implementation in the client - why the heck is the option available just when I'm physically (GPS) placed in the country, where toll roads' coverage is being considered "complete" and the functionality being enabled for routing? I could understand why Waze hesitates to enable the routing functionality in a country, where the coverage is not yet considered "complete enough", but why should the switch be kept hidden, when I'm planning a route through a country, where it is live?

(The same problem, when I'm 5 km inside a country, where gas stations are not "switched on". Illogically I'm not allowed to see gas prices in the neighboring country, where GS are completely functional. I've to cross the border, then I'm suddenly allowed to. The prices should be hidden, not the option to see them!!)
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (OP-X March-me-Low).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:52 am

foxitrot wrote:There is one major design flaw with toll roads and its implementation in the client - why the heck is the option available just when I'm physically (GPS) placed in the country(...)

Fully agree, hence why I asked at least "for some consistency over Europe"
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App