Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Toll roads option in the client

Post by
Hi guys,

As we agreed, we will enable the "Avoid toll roads" option in the client in each country separately, when we feel (based on your feedback) that we have enough info to start with.

FYI - "avoid toll roads" option has been added to the client in the Netherlands, Hungary and UK. (Menu
-> Settings -> Navigation -> Avoid toll roads ).

Please feel free to test this and let us know if you encounter any issues.

If you feel that 90% (or so) of the toll roads in your country have been properly updated - please send us note via our support page.

I will inform in this thread once toll roads have been added to a specific country.

Thanks!

Shirli

POSTER_ID:94099

Send a message

Post by abc1357
It would be nice if we could actually see the cost of a toll road. For example if there are 2 routes that are within a few minutes of each other, but one cost is twice the other, I would like to take the cheaper one if I am not rushed. The cost will be useful if I am not familiar with the area.
abc1357
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Cloaker wrote:Don't know if I'm not looking hard enough, but I didn't see a place to drop a note, but the U.S. Seems fairly complete. I believe all but 5 states are finished and those 5 are nearing completion. :) Can't wait for this feature. I live very close to a toll road and waze always wants to route me onto it.
When the US country managers, who are tracking by state, agree that we're good to go, we'll let Waze know.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
yudi9040 wrote:Could you please add Canada as well?
Please read the post on how you are to contact them about this.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
deeggo wrote:
MeX_DK wrote:Denmark only has one toll road as it is so :P. And sadly I cant change that since I am not AM of that area.
How about ferries or bridges that aren't free? You must have lots of those 8-)
For Oregon in the US, those are truly the only tollways we have.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
xteejx wrote:There wouldn't be any need to not show alternatives including tolls if they were labelled or a dialog came up, maybe next to the 1,2,3 route numbers have a red T next to it?
That's the plan, but requires a new client rev.

As was proposed many many months ago, Waze should implement the option differently than simply "avoid." There should be possibly three options, similar to autozoom:
  1. Never use (never show or select a route with a toll road),
  2. Avoid (prefer non-toll, but include at least one in routes, especially if it is significantly faster at that time)
  3. Include (primary, initial route selection may include a toll road and 2 of 3 alternate routes can be tolls).
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Looks like US has the avoidance option now. Yay!
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
davipt wrote:...What I would expect was a re-route where waze would try to make me leave the freeway on the next exit and then continue. looking at the map it kind of looks like it. but in practice it continues for the remaining of the segment and at the end of it (usually a junction with an entry or exit) it just says "you have reached your destination" and stops routing.
I don't think your assumption that it should route you off as soon as possible is a valid one. If you get onto a toll road, then the "avoid toll road" option becomes invalid as every single route contains a toll road because you are already on it. Perhaps there is a bug in the system when requesting a route in this type of situation. This is type of situation exactly where the group of people who wanted to mark the toll plaza/toll payment locations only as the toll road, actually makes some sense.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
davipt wrote:I didn't mean it should really route out of the toll road, just that it should route somewhere, being continuing on the toll, or leaving it asap, but not stopping at the end of the current segment ;)
Yes, I agree.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
lakeyboy wrote:Is this something that is being worked on or is it just the way the 'avoid toll roads' feature is programmed?
This is likely part of what is being worked on. We continue to give Waze examples of bad toll routing and related issues and they claim to be working on it.

Tapatalk made me do it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jasonh300 wrote:They should make the Toll Roads work the same way as Parking Lot Roads. They got that working perfectly.
But it isn't quite that simple everywhere. Parking lots have an "exit" penalty. If a Toll Road is made of bits where some are toll and some are not, then this "exit" penalty would apply multiple times.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message