Toll roads option in the client  Topic is solved

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Toll roads option in the client

Postby porubcan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:31 am

DIASHI wrote:I just got a letter from The Toll Roads - Violation Enforcement Dept.

I owe them $125 because WAZE TOOK ME THROUGH A TOLL ROAD BY DEFAULT WITH NO WARNING.

Avoiding toll roads is now checked, but it should have been checked by default to begin with.

Sorry, you are mostly wrong.
1. You owe them $125 because you violated regulations. Waze routed you via best route according the settings in your client. Client's configuration is up to you, not producer of app. Waze even indicated the toll roads as mentioned above. Don't blame Waze, blame yourself.
2. Remember that even you use navigation app, it is your sole responsibility to adhere to law (incl. all instructions given by road signs). I wonder if toll roads in your country are not marked properly by relevant road signs.
This is even clearly stated in Terms of service: Road information prevails. The information provided by the Service is not intended to replace the information provided on the road, such as traffic signs, traffic lights, police instructions, etc.
3. Avoid toll roads option should not be checked by default as many (maybe majority) of users are normally using toll roads as they have toll sticker valid whole year. for those users it would be very confusing if Waze routes them avoiding tolls and we would see boom of URs "wrong driving directions" in such case. also other navigation products have tolls enabled by default and it is up to user to choose to avoid them.

I agree that it would do no harm to have toll roads warning more noticeable. But same can be stated about toll road road sign you just missed too.
Image Image Image
SK Country Coordinator, SK Country Manager, Global Champ, Android Beta Tester
Waze 3.9.9 on HTC One M9, Android 6.0 @ white Škoda Octavia RS Combi
porubcan
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HandOfMadness » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:37 am

Hi, I'm an editor in the United States. I've been getting complaints from people being routed onto toll roads, but they claim "avoid toll roads" is selected in the client.

I have verified in the editor the roads are properly marked as toll roads, and can confirm I'm never routed onto them myself (I have avoid toll roads checked) when going on trips where the toll roads are unquestionably faster.

Any suggestion on what those drivers should do? I'm guess try toggling it off and on a few times, and if it doesn't work, try reinstalling Waze?
CM: Thailand CM: USA
HandOfMadness
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby foxitrot » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:29 am

I understand you all, but have to agree with DIASHI, that "white on gray on a light-blue background" is indeed a too easily overseeable element. (I'd even like to see the corresponding parts of the traffic bar timeline being marked, or dashed, whatever.)

For a similar reason I've been proposing to color the listed [1] [2] [3] Alt. routes with the same color, as they are marked in the parallel Map view - the colors stand out and are being visually identified and matched much faster, than some gray numbers in the boxes.
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new social Android 3.9.xx.yyy (SG-S3 KikiriKat).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby orit_y » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi,

Starting today we activated the toll roads feature in Malaysia.
All thanks to the hard work of the Malaysian community! great job!

Best,
Orit
orit_y
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby alenansk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:20 pm

i have a problem, but i don't know if i should public it in this thread:

after i switch off "allow toll roads" , waze propose me a strange ways, longer by time and by distance.... even if all roads i take are free
i have already verified the editor and there are no toll roads on my way (even if there is a highspeed way but it's unchecked as toll)... i can't understand what's happening
HTC Desire Z
Android 2.3.3
alenansk
Localizers
Localizers

Postby jokizwo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi from Germany. It's true that we have no general toll roads but we have some points were "toll road" is used and avoiding would be wishful. For example there is a ferry over a river near my town. This is marked as toll road. I used to have the option to avoid toll roads ( yes it had been enabled!!!!?) and therefore could avoid the stupid ferry. But currently I do not have this option anymore and waze proposes the routes via this ferry (although you can easily drive by via bridges ...soooo...

Shall we get the option to avoid toll or shall we edit the ferry to non-drivable?!?!? Please advise thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
waze pioneer
jokizwo

Postby Z_R21 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi. A similar situation occurs in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and several other places. There are situations that Waze forces us driving into it when it's not really necessary, and also alternative routes may lead us to the same freeway, so we don't have a possibility to have a "free" route that avoids it. I was able to try and it was working without problems (editing a file in Waze). After last update it's almost impossible to enable it, or better said, it is still posible to enable or disable, but only editing a couple of files and not via the simplicity of a menu. We hope you can add this feature soon, mainly for places where freeways with tolls exist in the same city we drive everyday. Thank you.

jokizwo wrote:Hi from Germany. It's true that we have no general toll roads but we have some points were "toll road" is used and avoiding would be wishful. For example there is a ferry over a river near my town. This is marked as toll road. I used to have the option to avoid toll roads ( yes it had been enabled!!!!?) and therefore could avoid the stupid ferry. But currently I do not have this option anymore and waze proposes the routes via this ferry (although you can easily drive by via bridges ...soooo...

Shall we get the option to avoid toll or shall we edit the ferry to non-drivable?!?!? Please advise thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Z_R21
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby JOHN-LALA » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Please enable this Option for Germany. We had a similar post already on April 2nd...

... and btw. MERRY CHRISTMAS to all !!!

<< explanation:
Yes, we do have toll roads in Germany... not many, as you can read in earlier posts (and here:https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=197&t=45045 ). But the main advantage would be to be able to plan trips to neighboring countries properly.

Scenario: we spend Christmas in Bavaria, for New Years we'll spend some time in Switzerland. To reach our destination we'll have to cross some short distance on Austrian streets.

I do have the "Vingette" for the Swiss Highway system (it's about € 35,00 for the full year) but I would not like to buy the Austrian 10-day-pass (for € 8,50) which I won't be using on the way back!

So I'm sitting here (near Munich) and I would like to plan my trip at least to the Austrian-Swiss border town of "Sankt Margrethen" with no toll roads. From there on I'd like to re-enable toll roads for our further trip.

But alas... I can't even disable toll roads, can't even see the darn option in my settings. All because I sit in good ol' Germany, where we have no toll roads (not yet!!!)

So again: please, please enable the toll-road-option for Germany -- and make my day!!!

end explanation >>
JOHN
JOHN-LALA

Postby Z_R21 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:37 am

Please, enable in Argentna also, we have some freeways with tolls in Buenos Aires, and sometimes it's not convenient to pay for a few hundred meters. It's a must for us to have this option in Waze. Thank you very much.
Z_R21
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby petervdveen » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:22 am

Contact you're coordinator for this!

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App