Toll roads option in the client  Topic is solved

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Toll roads option in the client

Postby foxitrot » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:46 pm

Have you already signed a NDA with Waze? No? Then imagine it as a "somewhat large value, but not too much".

Wait - has bgodette already found it out? I've possibly missed it being announced, sorry...
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new crashing Android 3.7.xx.yyy (SG-A2 JealousBin).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby foxitrot » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:46 pm

scarlogarcia wrote:
foxitrot wrote:Have you already signed a NDA with Waze? No? Then imagine it as a "somewhat large value, but not too much".

Actually, some NDA are completely unnecessary, mainly when one must config his app based on a unknown size. :(

The problem is, each and every simple value or principle falls in Waze under the "can't disclose" category. Including the dirt road's length.

The crowd has two most important roles: a) observe the black box' behavior, b) according to the observations, draw the best possible map and feed the box with it, then repeat the a)

Since some year and half ago I'm constantly wondering, how advanced and robust the Waze maps would be, if this behavior was already known in advance and 'cast in the stone' (or in the Wiki) by the devs. Without disclosing, what this and that knobs are for and which colors will flow from these tubes...
trying to get used to the good new crashing Android 3.7.xx.yyy (SG-A2 JealousBin).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby foxitrot » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:50 pm

Please, Carlos, excuse me for the rant.
scarlogarcia wrote:Hi, I don't know if I lost that information along the thread but, currently, anyone knows how long is a "long dirty road" from the feature "avoid long ones"?

I'm sure no one knows for sure.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby foxitrot » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:39 am

There is one major design flaw with toll roads and its implementation in the client - why the heck is the option available just when I'm physically (GPS) placed in the country, where toll roads' coverage is being considered "complete" and the functionality being enabled for routing? I could understand why Waze hesitates to enable the routing functionality in a country, where the coverage is not yet considered "complete enough", but why should the switch be kept hidden, when I'm planning a route through a country, where it is live?

(The same problem, when I'm 5 km inside a country, where gas stations are not "switched on". Illogically I'm not allowed to see gas prices in the neighboring country, where GS are completely functional. I've to cross the border, then I'm suddenly allowed to. The prices should be hidden, not the option to see them!!)
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby foxitrot » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:29 am

I understand you all, but have to agree with DIASHI, that "white on gray on a light-blue background" is indeed a too easily overseeable element. (I'd even like to see the corresponding parts of the traffic bar timeline being marked, or dashed, whatever.)

For a similar reason I've been proposing to color the listed [1] [2] [3] Alt. routes with the same color, as they are marked in the parallel Map view - the colors stand out and are being visually identified and matched much faster, than some gray numbers in the boxes.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Toll roads option in the client

Postby fvwazing » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 am

If you have "Avoid toll" on, the first route you will get has no toll. If you ask for alternative routes the 2nd or 3rd route MAY include toll if that gives a substantial advantage. Currently these toll-using routes are not marked as such.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:12 am

Given that some absolutely want to have an alternative INCLUDING toll and some want alternatives AVOIDING toll the solution can only be to show 1 alternative for each - and indicate which is toll. At least that indication is in the making.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:46 am

olestas wrote:Don't forget about indication of place of toll and amount to pay. It would be super.

Forget the amount to pay. It differs per type of vehicle, time of day, day of week, number of passengers, type of fuel, amount of traffic on other roads.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:12 am

No idea how much that is in my money, but it probably can be avoided. Did you read the wiki-section on Toll? (sorry, don't have the link on my phone)
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

Postby fvwazing » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:43 pm

I assume that "time and monetary based" means that there are different pricings depending on time of day - that is of no concern in Waze. It routes WITH or WITHOUT toll, price makes no difference. As soon as you have configured 90% of your tollgantries in the map (and have them live) you can ask Waze to enable the toll-switch on the phones.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App