Using Waze with Android Auto

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Using Waze with Android Auto

Postby fmoto » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:47 pm

Hello:

I use Waze through Android Auto. I connect my Samsung 6S Edge via USB cable and for the most part it works fine, however lately I've noticed a problem.

When AA comes up on my screen I say "OK google"...and after the beep I say "Take me Home"
MOST Of the time, AA says "Handing off to Waze" and the route is calculated and navigation begins with all of the warnings for police, potholes...

Lately I've noticed that sometimes when I say "Take me home" the response is "Navigating home" and I get a Waze map zoomed out with NO navigation route and NO warnings or icons for other wazers.

Once that problem happens, no matter what I do, it will never navigate or show warnings again. I can unplug the phone from USB and re-plug it in, I can restart the phone or even restart the car and it still doesn't help.

The only thing I have found will USUALLY work is to unplug the phone from USB, power off the car, open and close the door, then open the door, plug in the phone, close the door and start the car. Obviously this isn't practical when driving. I have read through this thread and tried anything noted with no luck. I've also tried manually touching the Waze screen and choosing "home" but it still will not navigate. I've tested other cables as well.

I also run into the same issue if Waze hangs while searching for a destination or sometimes when I switch from one destination to another. If I say "OK google" followed by "Open Waze" everything seems to just hang until I unplug my phone from USB....but this still does not get navigation working. I have the latest versions of Waze & AA as well as my Ford Sync3 system and I've been using Waze this way for months without experiencing this problem at the frequency I am experiencing it now.

Has anyone found a fix or workaround to get out of this when it happens and to get Waze navigation and warnings to work again? I'm hoping there is a setting I'm missing or a way to reset everything while driving.
fmoto

Postby rickprosser » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:27 pm

I am having a new issue with Waze and AA. Used to work fine, but in the last week - when AA starts running, Waze freezes and/or goes away and I cannot open waze again until I disconnect the usb cable. Google maps seems to work fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled waze with the same results.
rickprosser

Postby georgenqueiroz » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:13 pm

rickprosser wrote:I am having a new issue with Waze and AA. Used to work fine, but in the last week - when AA starts running, Waze freezes and/or goes away and I cannot open waze again until I disconnect the usb cable. Google maps seems to work fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled waze with the same results.

What's your phone? Is it a Xiaomi device? Did you buy it recently? I asked those questions because a friend of mine that has a Xiaomi Mi 6 is facing exactly the same problem.
George Queiroz

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
georgenqueiroz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby JohnK3TN » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:49 am

How do I stop navigation running Waze Over Android AutoPlay?? There is no stop button on the screen and no voice commands seem to do so.
JohnK3TN

Postby georgenqueiroz » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:38 am

JohnK3TN wrote:How do I stop navigation running Waze Over Android AutoPlay?? There is no stop button on the screen and no voice commands seem to do so.
I think you can do it by clicking on ">" next to the time left.[ img ]

Enviado de meu Moto Z3 Play usando o Tapatalk
George Queiroz

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
georgenqueiroz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby fmoto » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:12 pm

fmoto wrote:Hello:

I use Waze through Android Auto. I connect my Samsung 6S Edge via USB cable and for the most part it works fine, however lately I've noticed a problem.

When AA comes up on my screen I say "OK google"...and after the beep I say "Take me Home"
MOST Of the time, AA says "Handing off to Waze" and the route is calculated and navigation begins with all of the warnings for police, potholes...

Lately I've noticed that sometimes when I say "Take me home" the response is "Navigating home" and I get a Waze map zoomed out with NO navigation route and NO warnings or icons for other wazers.

Once that problem happens, no matter what I do, it will never navigate or show warnings again. I can unplug the phone from USB and re-plug it in, I can restart the phone or even restart the car and it still doesn't help.

The only thing I have found will USUALLY work is to unplug the phone from USB, power off the car, open and close the door, then open the door, plug in the phone, close the door and start the car. Obviously this isn't practical when driving. I have read through this thread and tried anything noted with no luck. I've also tried manually touching the Waze screen and choosing "home" but it still will not navigate. I've tested other cables as well.

I also run into the same issue if Waze hangs while searching for a destination or sometimes when I switch from one destination to another. If I say "OK google" followed by "Open Waze" everything seems to just hang until I unplug my phone from USB....but this still does not get navigation working. I have the latest versions of Waze & AA as well as my Ford Sync3 system and I've been using Waze this way for months without experiencing this problem at the frequency I am experiencing it now.

Has anyone found a fix or workaround to get out of this when it happens and to get Waze navigation and warnings to work again? I'm hoping there is a setting I'm missing or a way to reset everything while driving.

So far the only thing that seems to help is ensuring that WiFi is off. It looks like either AA or Waze try to grab a weak WiFi signal and the hand-off from AA to Waze gets lost. Anyone else getting the "Navigating to ..." audio instead of "handing off to waze"??
fmoto

Postby world_v6i0bad8 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:23 pm

Hi All,

Am I the only one or is it normal that the auto-suggest function does not work via Android Auto? For me it was very convenient that opening Waze on the phone on workdays morning/evening will automatically take me to work/home (so just one click). This seems to be lost on Android Auto but I don't understand why it works differently.

The above is particularly painful because the work/home destinations usually don't appear on the main screen of Android Auto, so I cannot simply and quickly start navigating to these favourite spots (which I use 90% of the time). Although I noticed that sometimes they did appear on main screen but I have no idea what this depends on.

On phone: click on Waze icon -> will automatically navigate to work/home if I don't interrupt
on Auto: plug in phone -> click on Navigation icon -> choose Waze -> click on menu (3 lines) -> click on work/home
world_v6i0bad8

Postby Morrison66 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:22 pm

world_v6i0bad8 wrote:Hi All,

Am I the only one or is it normal that the auto-suggest function does not work via Android Auto? For me it was very convenient that opening Waze on the phone on workdays morning/evening will automatically take me to work/home (so just one click). This seems to be lost on Android Auto but I don't understand why it works differently.

The only way i am able to get auto-suggest is to start waze on phone, before plugging it into AA usb cable
Morrison66

Postby fmoto » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:00 pm

I've also noticed that all of the WAZE voice commands like "report police" don't function inside Android Auto.
fmoto

Postby Kroevelke » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:21 am

I use Android Auto on my phone (OnePlus 3T). When navigating I see the Waze map, but Waze also shows me these overlay cards like when it is running in the background. Does anyone know how to turn these overlay cards off?
Kroevelke

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App