Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Postby amiga6 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:55 pm

Gasoline prices are not updated in the client. This step allows more fail to update prices, and ultimately it will be more leaving Waze for another gps.

I can not seem to score points nor
Screenshot_2013-01-11-06-46-18.png
Screenshot_2013-01-11-06-46-18.png (51.35 KiB) Viewed 7262 times

Screenshot_2013-01-11-19-15-07.png
Screenshot_2013-01-11-19-15-07.png (45.69 KiB) Viewed 7262 times
I'm using Samsung Galaxy S6 Android 6.0.1 Swedish and the latest Waze version.

amiga6
Area Manager
Area Manager

Sv: Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Postby amiga6 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:49 am

Tonight was The bugs gone, everything works. :-)

Skickat från min GT-I9300 via Tapatalk 2
I'm using Samsung Galaxy S6 Android 6.0.1 Swedish and the latest Waze version.

amiga6
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Nacron » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:12 am

Haha caught a user who just confirms prices for points. This Aloha gas station has been closed for a year yet he's still confirming the prices from last year

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | 5.1.1 | Waze 3.9.8.0 RC beta
Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM
ImageImageImageImage
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Re: Re: Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Postby foxitrot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:26 am

Nacron wrote:Haha caught a user who just confirms prices for points. This Aloha gas station has been closed for a year yet he's still confirming the prices from last year

Maybe the always-only-confirmed prices should be reset after the default timeout period (two weeks ATM) and need to be manually entered at least once in a while? (Could be inconvenient, if some prices really do not change, but it would solve this way of cheating.)
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new social Android 4.0.xx.yyy (OP-X LOL-a-popp).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Twister-UK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:08 am

foxitrot wrote:Maybe the always-only-confirmed prices should be reset after the default timeout period (two weeks ATM) and need to be manually entered at least once in a while? (Could be inconvenient, if some prices really do not change, but it would solve this way of cheating.)

Given that this station is still showing up as a valid location for price updates, either it hasn't been removed from the map, or the flakey back-end implementation has kept a ghost copy of this station in the database after it's been deleted in WME. So even if the price data gets reset after x days of staying at the same values no matter how often those values are confimed, surely all the points-fanatics will just have to enter new prices every x days and then continue confirming them as at present until the next x day timeout, then enter new price again and continue...

The real problem here is that the client believes this station is still active - fix that problem (either by a local editor removing the station from WME, or by Waze fixing their databases to prevent deleted stations continuing to appear in the client) and the problem of points-fanatics being able to earn points by confirming non-existent prices would be resolved without any means for them to work around it in the client.

They could always start editing the map and adding fake stations along their daily routes, but once that activity has been detected (and if Waze is already aware of their previous fake-price-pointgrabbing, it should be easy for them to quickly pick up on any odd-looking editing behaviour) Waze simply slaps a permaban on their editing rights, or possibly even removes their ability to earn points for anything but still allowing them access to the client in "read-only" mode so that it still functions as a satnav but without exposing any of the functionality (hazard reporting etc.) that could be used to inject malicious data and screw things up for everyone else if the user takes affront to having their point grabbing activities curtailed.
L4 AM for NW London and Shetland Islands - HTC One M8/Android 5.0.1
Waze App 3.9.9.0, not about to switch to 4.x any time soon...
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork and Chrome Web Store
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby foxitrot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:28 am

Twister_UK wrote: So even if the price data gets reset after x days of staying at the same values no matter how often those values are confimed, surely all the points-fanatics will just have to enter new prices every x days and then continue confirming them as at present until the next x day timeout, then enter new price again and continue...
... and the problem of points-fanatics being able to earn points by confirming non-existent prices would be resolved without any means for them to work around it in the client.

I understand the problem with flakey ghost copies of GS in the DB. But I think that these points-fanatics would not bother entering some guessed prices, if the fields were empty.
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new social Android 4.0.xx.yyy (OP-X LOL-a-popp).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Twister-UK » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:31 am

foxitrot wrote:
Twister_UK wrote: So even if the price data gets reset after x days of staying at the same values no matter how often those values are confimed, surely all the points-fanatics will just have to enter new prices every x days and then continue confirming them as at present until the next x day timeout, then enter new price again and continue...
... and the problem of points-fanatics being able to earn points by confirming non-existent prices would be resolved without any means for them to work around it in the client.

I understand the problem with flakey ghost copies of GS in the DB. But I think that these points-fanatics would not bother entering some guessed prices, if the fields were empty.

I don't quite share your optimism here - given the lengths some users will go to in collecting points at the expense of data integrity, I'm not sure having to make up a price (they'd only need to fake the price for one fuel type in order to "earn" their 8 points, making it even easier than the genuine user who goes to the trouble of correctly updating several fuel type prices to earn the same points) a handful of times a month would be much of a disincentive.

To be honest, given that it is only 8 points/station, and given that there aren't all that many ghost stations in the db, I don't think it's worth expending much effort on changing the behaviour of price entry/confirmation just to stop some users picking up a few extra points each day from ghost stations - better for the Waze programmers to concentrate on resolving the problem which is allowing these ghosts to remain in the db in the first place.
L4 AM for NW London and Shetland Islands - HTC One M8/Android 5.0.1
Waze App 3.9.9.0, not about to switch to 4.x any time soon...
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork and Chrome Web Store
Twister-UK
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby CBenson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:11 pm

Twister_UK wrote:Given that this station is still showing up as a valid location for price updates, either it hasn't been removed from the map, or the flakey back-end implementation has kept a ghost copy of this station in the database after it's been deleted in WME.

This is a US station. The US stations can't be deleted in WME.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.1.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mchaves » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Waze 3.5.3.0 + iPhone 4S + iOS 6.1 @ Brazil.

Several gas stations here have a standard 2.00 price (on Waze) for regular gasoline, and no price for the other fuels types. If I try to enter a fuel price, I may be able to do it for the ones already with a value (like the fake 2.00), but I never can do it for the ones with no values.

I think this is clearly a bug for the ones with no prices. Not sure what is the criteria to block my edits for the ones with prices.
mchaves

Re: Re: Re: Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Postby Nacron » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:37 am

CBenson wrote:
Twister_UK wrote:Given that this station is still showing up as a valid location for price updates, either it hasn't been removed from the map, or the flakey back-end implementation has kept a ghost copy of this station in the database after it's been deleted in WME.

This is a US station. The US stations can't be deleted in WME.

Yup. We have to jump through hoops with the support form to get them fixed or removed

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | 5.1.1 | Waze 3.9.8.0 RC beta
Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM
ImageImageImageImage
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App