Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Post by
Hi guys,
Glad to be on the forums again!

Recently Waze has added Gas Station prices as one of the crowd sourced features it offers to its millions of Wazers around the world.
While the experience on the Waze app should be the same for all users, the back end works a little different - based on your country - and therefore when you're editing Gas Stations, you'll notice a different behavior in Different countries.

Not familiar with this feature and want to see how it works on the app itself? See our wiki article here.
The purpose of this post is to explain where we stand in the matter of adding new gas stations, and updating gas prices.

Adding a new gas station vs. Adding a new landmark:

The list of gas stations you see when searching for Gas stations near your location comes from a special list of Gas Stations, and not from the general list of landmarks.
Adding new stations to this list depends on the country you're in.

In the US:
* Waze has a full set of Gas Stations, and at the moment we're not able to update stations on this list.
* Adding a new landmark of Gas station type will NOT add the station to the list. It will add it to the map, and if you enter a name, you will be able to search and navigate to it - just like any other landmark - but won't be able to update prices.
* We currently don't have the Gas prices feature available in Canada.

In all other countries of the world:
* We have added Gas / Petrol brands based on your feedback so far, so when you add a gas station landmark in your country, you should see an option to choose a BRAND.
* No Brand choice in the ediotr? Contact us and send us the full list of brands in your country. See this part of the wiki article for more info on what we need in order to add it.
* Once you update the gas station, it will be added to our lists, and once your country has the gas price feature (see below), you will be able to update the price for that country.
* Keep on updating more gas stations - you're making great progress (see this blog post by Edon for more details).
* Once we feel a country has good coverage of gas stations, we will enable the gas prices feature in that country (see below).
* Waze is also checking various options to have a full list provided and updated to the system (as we did in the US). Once we have these lists, we will integrate them with all the gas stations you've entered. You will also notice new gas station landmarks will be added where they were missing. In other countries (outside the US), you will be able to edit gas stations even if they are imported.

In any way, your work on the gas stations now will not be lost - so for those who have already started mapping gas stations, keep up the good work!

======

Updating Gas Prices:

In the US:
* We get new prices update automatically once a day, but we still rely on the community to keep them updated, as gas prices change frequently.

In all other countries of the world:

* In most countries the gas price feature isn't available yet, as we're waiting to have a good coverage of the gas stations before starting the service.
* We will slowly add this feature to more and more countries as we feel the coverage there is sufficient. As mentioned before, we're working on adding a full list of gas stations to a few countries, and hopefully we will have the gas price feature in your country in the near future too!

POSTER_ID:84

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
clferraz wrote:Hi...

In Brazil, we use the comma as decimal delimiter instead of the point. The Waze for IOS does not accept comma to update fuel prices...
Are you using v 3.2.2.0?

EDIT: Disregard. I believe this is still a known issue as someone already posted about price entry problems for Brazil in the official feedback thread for v3.2.2.0.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
FreeMan12 wrote:I noticed tonight that "3rd Party" is reporting "N/A" for various octane ratings of gas, not just users doing drive-byes. Need to get a better source!
Please post editor location details in this thread: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24853
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
ryryryry87 wrote:
xtago wrote:also with Australia being slightly larger than the USA it's going to be hard to pick up heaps of petrol stations to be honest.
Area
Austrailia: 7,692,024 km² (2,969,907 mi²)
USA: 9,629,091 km² (3,717,813 mi²)

Population
Austrailia: 22,811,539
USA: 314,762,000
xtago just keeps on making up crap and trying to pass it off as fact. :roll:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
tallyg8tor wrote:I have since fixed the house numbers, but it still shows up in the old, incorrect location. I am guessing that I either have to wait for it to be updated or that new editing feature to be added for the US.
In the US, we have no currently ability to effect gas station adds or changes. We hope someday... but because Waze and a 3rd party are "tied" together, I am unsure how they may go about giving us this ability.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
YankeesOSU wrote:Maybe Waze should create a forum for "Feature Suggestions".
Maybe the already-existing "Issues and Requests" forum which exists also under App and Editor forums?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
KS3J wrote:Is the ability to update the gas stations under development? It would make sense, since just about everything else in Waze is crowdsourced.

In addition, I have found quite a few gas stations in my area that are displaced as much as half a mile from their actual locations. Does moving the gas station landmark result in correct navigation, or is the incorrect position "sticky?"
All gas station info in the app is live connected to the editor. In tests, in fact, you can add a new station and immediately find it in the app. Seriously, it's immediate.

As for the search location, we've made Waze aware that the search location hasn't matched the actual landmark, and they are surpised. I haven't tested this recently, though. They are supposed to match completely, but there may be a bug in the system.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
porubcan wrote:I'm not sure, but are US gas stations handled the same way like ROTW? In past they surely weren't and GS database was not linked with landmark DB.
Not sure about exactly how they are handled in ROW, but the US gas station landmarks are what are used for updating prices in the US. This was enabled April 14, 2013.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlexN-114
What I wished for the gas prices feature is another GUI for the input of gas prices.
Now I have to input 16 digits for one station, even if the proce changes only for some cents.
My suggestion is:
After tipping on a price, it becomes zoomed (so you can see it better at a bad light) and a slider to change the price. ;)
AlexN-114
Send a message
best regards Alex ;)
AM Waldviertel (NÖ)/Forest quarter (Lower Austria) / CM Austria / GC
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/8/87/RWrsig.png
HiLiCi @ greasyfork.org or @ userscripts.org

Post by ally_b
FreeMan12 wrote:I think that the selection of "Not Available" needs to either be expanded or more completely verified.

Here in the US many to most gas stations will list the price for regular unleaded and diesel on their big signs. I think that a lot of people are driving around entering prices as they drive by (dangerous, covered already), and entering "N/A" because they don't know the price of mid-grade and premium. As I understand it, this defeats the purpose of being able to enter your preferred fuel type and searching for it as you're driving.
If somebody selects "N/A" does this prevent others from entering a price for that type of fuel? For example, my local Sainsbury's (UK supermarket fuel station) stocks 3 out of the 4 types of fuel available in the UK version of Waze - normal unleaded, super unleaded and diesel. It doesn't stock LPG which is the 4th type of fuel in Waze.

Currently Waze is showing prices for normal unleaded and diesel, but "N/A" for super unleaded and LPG. When I tried to enter the latest prices, it let me update normal unleaded and diesel, but came back with an error saying something like "Whoops! Fuel type not available" when I tried to enter the super unleaded price.

I usually run my car on super and the prices for this fuel vary wildly, from 3p to 8p a litre more than standard unleaded, depending on the brand. Also, UK fuel stations very rarely show their price for super on the board outside, normally it's just normal unleaded and diesel. You have to actually pull up at the pump to find out the price for super, and I was hoping that Waze would be able to help me avoid having to do this.

So far, the fuel price feature is worse than useless for me, Waze need to sort this problem out.

https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&l ... rks=623351
ally_b
Send a message
ally_b

Post by amiga6
Gasoline prices are not updated in the client. This step allows more fail to update prices, and ultimately it will be more leaving Waze for another gps.

I can not seem to score points nor
Screenshot_2013-01-11-06-46-18.png
(51.35 KiB) Downloaded 8036 times
Screenshot_2013-01-11-19-15-07.png
(45.69 KiB) Downloaded 8027 times
amiga6
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
I'm using Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra Android 13 Swedish and the latest (beta) Waze version.