Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by CrackedLCD
So, my story just got goofier. The new gas station, for which I created a landmark since none previously existed? Yeah, Waze went ahead and created one too, in the wrong location again. Sigh. So now I have four stations showing up, but only the two I created are actually anywhere close to being correct.

To add insult to injury, they got the station name wrong. It's "Gulf-N-Golf" but Waze's version is "Gulf-N-Gulf". Dunno who does their database, but they are sloppy.

I went to at least correct their version and maybe move it to where it should be, but I can't find it, leading me to believe another user deleted the incorrect, misspelled entry already.

Oh well, until Waze gets their act together, I guess it's an extra free 16 point to anyone who discovers the "easter eggs". :geek:
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
deeggo wrote:That golf gulf thing may be a translation issue. We have had cases in Netherlands where a gas station named Total was displayed as Totaal. Totaal being the Dutch translation of the English word Total.
Beyond "why would they translate station names", why would they do it in the US to Dutch? Very strange. :mrgreen:
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Are there any updates on the stability of the back end for gas prices? I did an 80 mile round trip today and was only able to report about 8 prices or of 64 stations. Most of the time it just failed outright ("Could not download data") or failed to locate the nearest station. A few times it lost GPS. Other times the station would come up but it would error out "Sorry could not update prices."

That last error, I might add, fails to post prices or award points but still counts against the five entries in five minutes limit, which is super stupid.

I also really wish they'd fix that massive lie where it says "network error" now after posting five prices successfully. They're purposely breaking it to limit submissions... There is no real error!

At least let me keep entering corrected prices even if you limit the points. That's fair!

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
I didn't realize Waze had a price limit it would accept. A while back I submitted a station selling ethanol free for $4.549 a gallon when the same station had regular for $3.339... It didn't balk. And I'm pretty sure I accidentally put a price in at six dollars and it took that as well.

CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Would it work to leave the existing landmark but change the category from gas to something else?

I had a Shell station nearby close, but they left the prices on the sign so people kept updating the station. It also generated several user requests to delete the landmark, which I did.

Now it's slated to reopen and I'll have to redraw it and re enter all the address info and hope that the automated system doesn't add it in the wrong location (again).

CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
In the US, they ask us to post the cash price.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Had there been a database reset in the United States? On my travels today I'm seeing a few stations that were deleted a long time ago showing up again. Edit: in the client, not the editor. I haven't been near a computer today to see what's going on there.

CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Edward50095 wrote:I'm not interested in crowd sourced gas prices.... do you actually "shop" for gas? Do you ever find such a deal that it makes a difference? 10 cents extra in a 14 gallon tank is $1.40. Big whoop. How far will you drive to save $1.40? (Don't tell me.)
Considering the success of GasBuddy's website and apps, millions do shop for cheap gas daily. It all comes down to how fuel is priced in your area, and what type you're using.

Just within 5 miles of where I live, regular unleaded can vary by as much as 24¢ a gallon. That's over $7 difference to someone with a 30 gallon tank in a big gas guzzling SUV. As sketch noted, premium is even wilder. The spread here is over 45¢ a gallon. Unfortunately, it and midgrade are the least reported prices on any system.

I drive a diesel and prices for that fuel can vary as much as premium. I know who has what at what price in my town, generally, but I still post prices on Waze and GasBuddy because I want to help others who may not know cheaper fuel is a few blocks away.

I do wish the implementation on Waze was better, though. If you update just one price, all old prices are updated when you hit Send. The midgrade and premium prices at some local stations are months old because no one is going on to the property to look at those prices. They (we) just update whatever's posted on the sign out front.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
porubcan wrote:I am sorry to say that, most probably, there are better gas prices apps than Waze and I would bet, some of those would have this sorted out already...

Sent from my HTC One
GasBuddy is one of the most popular, but it has no provision for prices beyond the four standard grades. There used to be a comment that could be left along with the price submission and people would use that to write out additional price information, but they removed that from the mobile app during the last update.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CrackedLCD
Raiden38 wrote:
CrackedLCD wrote: GasBuddy is one of the most popular, but it has no provision for prices beyond the four standard grades.
Would be so AWESOME if Waze could connect to GasBuddy!!!
Yeah, but at this point I'd be happy if the price system we have (and Foursquare integration) actually worked. They've both been seriously borked for ages.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message