Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by FreeMan12
I think that the selection of "Not Available" needs to either be expanded or more completely verified.

Here in the US many to most gas stations will list the price for regular unleaded and diesel on their big signs. I think that a lot of people are driving around entering prices as they drive by (dangerous, covered already), and entering "N/A" because they don't know the price of mid-grade and premium. As I understand it, this defeats the purpose of being able to enter your preferred fuel type and searching for it as you're driving.

I have some suggestions for fixing it:
1) Add an additional pop-up question when somebody selects "N/A" for a fuel price - "Does this station NOT CARRY this grade of fuel, or do you NOT KNOW the price for this grade?" with appropriate buttons to select. That way, drive byes could select NOT KNOW, leaving the old price.
2) Add an additional button saying "UNKNOWN" instead of just the "NOT AVAILABLE" button.
3) Only allow fuel price entry if the current speed is < 1MPH. This will completely eliminate the drive by entries, and people should be able to enter the price of all grades while standing by the pump.
4) Possibly combine 1 & 2. Always ask the question if someone selects "Not Available".
FreeMan12
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S5 w/root

Indiana

Post by FreeMan12
I noticed tonight that "3rd Party" is reporting "N/A" for various octane ratings of gas, not just users doing drive-byes. Need to get a better source!

http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k331 ... 051712.png
FreeMan12
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S5 w/root

Indiana

Post by FreeMan12
Done. Thanks, didn't see that thread.
FreeMan12
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S5 w/root

Indiana

Post by FreeMan12
My solution is to just stop at the most convenient place, because a few cents a gallon don't really matter that much. But I do enter prices because free points!
FreeMan12
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy S5 w/root

Indiana

Post by fvwazing
deeggo wrote:I would like to propose a smaller number of points for just confirming prices already put in. I fear people will just confirm prices of every station they pass, for gaining points.
5 times confirming without changing a price is unlikely, 10 times is extremely unlikely to be valid. This could be recognized at the server-side.

So after 5 confirms (in a row) you could get a warning, after 10 confirms (in a row) you could be locked from the gasprice-feature for 24h.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
dohlsson wrote:How about a function letting you enter a discount on a brand. Ex when you have a bonus card with discount for every gallon.
If you prefer a single brand - you can select that now. Bonuscards seem to be such a rare occurrence that no one seems to have asked for it yet. For now you will have to do the math yourself.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
So... would its assumed popularity justify an extra field in settings, an extra calculation in fuelpricing (and another complication, another source of usererrors at that)?

[edit]
Aaargh! I just realize that there will not be ONE bonuscard involved but MANY. 5c here, 8c there. Ugh. Guess my answer to my own question.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
I can think of schemes where a gasstation-owner would want to manipulate prices in his neighborhood and Waze would want to detect that,to prevent such cheating. Or someone does inaccurate pricing, driving by, and thus create systematic errors. It is perfectly possible to detect such "errors" using comparison of historical data and there should be no need to hold up the publishing for confirmation. After some time it would get noticed that often the price is wrong anyway and the user could be blocked (or better: ignored).
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
thePunishERD wrote:We have an issue with gas prices here in Panama. Gas was always sold per gallon, but not anymore, now it's been sell per liter. So now the price shown by the gas stations is around $1 per liter, when it used to be around $4 per gallon.

Here is where the problem begins. When we try to update the prices in the app, it sends us an error because prices that low doesn't seem correct to Waze.

Also, the prices used to have 2 decimals, but now they have 3 decimals.

So we will appreciate if you can take this into consideration and do the fixing ASAP.

Thanks you for this excellent app!
Welcome to the metrical part of the world, Panama! I have no doubt that Waze can adapt the display/entry issues for Panama sooner or later, but I am very curious about what will happen if you look up gasprices when you are close to the border with a country that (still) uses the imperial system. Will you see only liter-prices or a mix of liters and gallons?
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1

Post by fvwazing
olestas wrote:Why would someone translate name? :D
We have NO idea, really.
fvwazing
Send a message
Waze jezelf!