Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Re: Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Postby foxitrot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:26 am

Nacron wrote:Haha caught a user who just confirms prices for points. This Aloha gas station has been closed for a year yet he's still confirming the prices from last year

Maybe the always-only-confirmed prices should be reset after the default timeout period (two weeks ATM) and need to be manually entered at least once in a while? (Could be inconvenient, if some prices really do not change, but it would solve this way of cheating.)
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby deeggo » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:15 pm

CrackedLCD wrote:Let me guess — you tap on the station name, then on the grade of fuel you want to report, and… nothing happens. You have to tap on it twice? Maybe three times? That's how it does on my Galaxy S Showcase.

+1
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby pvaladares » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:07 pm

Nacron wrote:
pvaladares wrote:
Bruno3589 wrote:Hi, I have problems too when trying to insert gas pricing in Italy with the Android app version.

When I am near or into the gas station landmark and I try to update gas prices, I get an error telling me that GPS is unreachable, even though it's not true (GPS is active, has signal, and Waze is using it to navigate).

I got the same error with both Waze 3.2.2.2 stable and 3.4.99.110 Beta, so I can't figure out what the problem is (I also tried clearing the cache, which did not help).

True. Today I had the same problem while updating most of gas stations in my way (maybe some anti-spam feature?).
Below I attached 2 examples

1 - Real GPS position
2 - Gas station
[ img ] [ img ]

Try look on category map search at the gas stations on the map within the app. the gas station might be placed incorrectly on the map. Discovered this when contacting support about a misnamed gas station. (sorry about the huge pics)

[ img ]

[ img ]

The red arrows point to where the gas stations should be. In the first pic, the two stations were a full block away from where they were supposed to be, so when you try to report it at the west most gas station, the gas station is not found.

Actually, the gas stations positions is good. Not a GPS related problem.
In online editor I realized the brand field was empty.
I think that is the problem.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
pvaladares

Postby mapcat » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:10 am

Nacron wrote:The top two ranked people in Hawaii weekly have probably 90% of their points from drive by confirmation of gas prices, almost all the time the prices are "confirmed" by them and are wrong.

Report them to support. Note the stations, time you saw the bad prices, and what the correct prices were. How many points are they getting by doing this?

FWIW, nobody's reporting prices around me (besides "3rd party") and the prices are wrong here too.
mapcat

Postby Nacron » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:26 pm

mapcat wrote:
deeggo wrote:I would like to propose a smaller number of points for just confirming prices already put in. I fear people will just confirm prices of every station they pass, for gaining points.

That's not fair to the person who pulls into the station to add prices, and then sees that someone else got them first.

They're only worth 8 points anyway. Hardly an incentive to cheat.

Oh yeah? The top two ranked people in Hawaii weekly have probably 90% of their points from drive by confirmation of gas prices, almost all the time the prices are "confirmed" by them and are wrong.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby deeggo » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Come on Mapcat, I'm only signalling that the way the gas prices feature works now isn't very safe and reliable. I just want to make sure that the quality of that part of Waze's information is as high as possible, and I see room for improvement. I never said I'm concerned about people copying my information or whatsoever. Couldn't care less. Why did you feel it necessary to drag that in here, and even advice me to occupy myself with another part of Waze?

As for editing and driving inequalities, what's that got to do with this? I know it works that way. So, if one thing's bad in the world, next we accept all things to be bad?
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby deeggo » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:47 pm

mapcat wrote:That's not fair to the person who pulls into the station to add prices, and then sees that someone else got them first.

They're only worth 8 points anyway. Hardly an incentive to cheat.

I disagree. That person only has to hit confirm. The first person had to fill in the numbers, so did more work. It's not unfair that there'd be a difference in points.

There have been people chit chating 'hi' to the whole world, reporting speed cams every x meters on long stretches of roads, closing URs in large numbers. So yes, people do weird things for points. This will just be another way.
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dmcconachie » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:24 am

olestas wrote:I do not see prices too (Latvia).

It hasn't been activated in Latvia yet.

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie

Postby CABB13 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:28 am

dmcconachie wrote:
Billderwent wrote:Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it from a search. Are there any guesses when this feature will becomje available in the UK?

It's already live in the UK!

via Tapatalk

None of the stations in my area show prices, nor will they allow me to enter prices :/
CABB13

Postby TonyG-UK » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:21 pm

dmcconachie wrote:
Billderwent wrote:Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it from a search. Are there any guesses when this feature will becomje available in the UK?

It's already live in the UK!

What was I saying about users not using this feature the way it's currently implemented because of the UI.
TonyG-UK

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App