Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Post by krankyd
Hi guys,
Glad to be on the forums again!

Recently Waze has added Gas Station prices as one of the crowd sourced features it offers to its millions of Wazers around the world.
While the experience on the Waze app should be the same for all users, the back end works a little different - based on your country - and therefore when you're editing Gas Stations, you'll notice a different behavior in Different countries.

Not familiar with this feature and want to see how it works on the app itself? See our wiki article here.
The purpose of this post is to explain where we stand in the matter of adding new gas stations, and updating gas prices.

Adding a new gas station vs. Adding a new landmark:

The list of gas stations you see when searching for Gas stations near your location comes from a special list of Gas Stations, and not from the general list of landmarks.
Adding new stations to this list depends on the country you're in.

In the US:
* Waze has a full set of Gas Stations, and at the moment we're not able to update stations on this list.
* Adding a new landmark of Gas station type will NOT add the station to the list. It will add it to the map, and if you enter a name, you will be able to search and navigate to it - just like any other landmark - but won't be able to update prices.
* We currently don't have the Gas prices feature available in Canada.

In all other countries of the world:
* We have added Gas / Petrol brands based on your feedback so far, so when you add a gas station landmark in your country, you should see an option to choose a BRAND.
* No Brand choice in the ediotr? Contact us and send us the full list of brands in your country. See this part of the wiki article for more info on what we need in order to add it.
* Once you update the gas station, it will be added to our lists, and once your country has the gas price feature (see below), you will be able to update the price for that country.
* Keep on updating more gas stations - you're making great progress (see this blog post by Edon for more details).
* Once we feel a country has good coverage of gas stations, we will enable the gas prices feature in that country (see below).
* Waze is also checking various options to have a full list provided and updated to the system (as we did in the US). Once we have these lists, we will integrate them with all the gas stations you've entered. You will also notice new gas station landmarks will be added where they were missing. In other countries (outside the US), you will be able to edit gas stations even if they are imported.

In any way, your work on the gas stations now will not be lost - so for those who have already started mapping gas stations, keep up the good work!

======

Updating Gas Prices:

In the US:
* We get new prices update automatically once a day, but we still rely on the community to keep them updated, as gas prices change frequently.

In all other countries of the world:

* In most countries the gas price feature isn't available yet, as we're waiting to have a good coverage of the gas stations before starting the service.
* We will slowly add this feature to more and more countries as we feel the coverage there is sufficient. As mentioned before, we're working on adding a full list of gas stations to a few countries, and hopefully we will have the gas price feature in your country in the near future too!
krankyd

POSTER_ID:84

Send a message
wazing like a hurricane

Post by kevinhome
I think it would be a great idea if members had the ability to update petrol prices also when logged in on MAP UPDATES. Many times I have past petrol station but didn’t have the opportunity to add updated fuel prices or could have do so in a safe way as I was mobile at the time. If the feature was available within the onlinne update mapping, I could have done this when at home and logged in. This again would also be another safety feature and another way to share information on fuel prices.
kevinhome
Send a message
Last edited by kevinhome on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by kodi75
(1) How do I mark a gas station as temporarily "closed?" The Maryland House rest area on I-95 has been closed for months! (Due to open in the late Spring 2014). Someone keeps updating the gas prices every day.

(2) in the app, this gas station is referenced as "White Marsh Gas" while in the editor (and on the ground) it's a Crown.

[edit]
I did a futher search and found this possible answer
sketch wrote:
russblau wrote:FYI, I changed the brand to "Unbranded" and the name to "Temporarily Closed", and moved the old name into the Description field.
I'd recommend changing the brand to [blank]. Choosing "Unbranded" will make Waze show "Unbranded" in the report prices list. Choosing [blank] will show "Temporarily closed" when a user tries to report prices. One is straightforward, one is confusing.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Last edited by kodi75 on Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by kodi75
In the last few days, when selecting a Gas Station to navigate to, the "Info" tab is unavailable:
Oops! Something went wrong. We're working on it right now ..."
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by kodi75
When updating fuel prices, the decimal (or comma) separator is no longer required.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by ks3j
krankyd wrote:Hi guys,
In the US:
* Waze has a full set of Gas Stations, and at the moment we're not able to update stations on this list.
* Adding a new landmark of Gas station type will NOT add the station to the list. It will add it to the map, and if you enter a name, you will be able to search and navigate to it - just like any other landmark - but won't be able to update prices.
I see that this is a year old, and I'm hoping it's something that's been fixed by now. Saying that "Waze has a full set of gas stations" naively assumes that new gas stations aren't being built every day, which they are, and that old ones aren't closing down, which they are. My area has a few examples of both.

Is the ability to update the gas stations under development? It would make sense, since just about everything else in Waze is crowdsourced.

In addition, I have found quite a few gas stations in my area that are displaced as much as half a mile from their actual locations. Does moving the gas station landmark result in correct navigation, or is the incorrect position "sticky?"
ks3j
Send a message

Post by ks3j
Thanks, Alan. Good news.
ks3j
Send a message

Post by kwhistle
Waze been horrible since the last update. Gas prices included. I'm in Indianapolis, IN, USA. Was just led to a gas station a few miles away only to realize the price was 52 days old!!!
kwhistle
Send a message

Post by Laakkus
I have it here (Finland)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Laakkus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png
Area manager: Some cities
Country manager: Finland
Suomenkielinen Wiki | Asemien tarkistus | Editointiohje
i9300 | Resurrection Remix | Waze 3.9

Post by Lant1
Hi. Please fix the fuel price updating feature! I have successfully updated one gas station during the last 3 months, the other attempts results in an error message saying "the price does not seem to be correct". This has occurred on several different gas stations, with different brands and locations.
Lant1
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message