Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Gas prices feature: everything you need to know

Postby Olestas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Create as many gas stations in country as possible, send developers list with most brands of stations and fuel types, price form and currency.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Coordinator: Latvia/Lithuania/Belarus
Country manager (Full coverage): Latvia/Lithuania/Belarus/Russia
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Sticks221 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:51 pm

Firstly, thanks for the new feature and to all those involved!

In the Beta forum, a question was posed by Dave2048 here http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23638&hilit=Beta regarding the layout of the gas price list and showing the address. Is this likely to happen as per the documentation and, could the same view be applied to updating of gas prices when selecting the nearby station? When trying to add a gas price at a motorway service station and there are two stations (one either side of the motorway), it's just a pure guess as to which one I am updating and being able to see the address would add much needed clarification.

Thanks in advance! :D
iPhone 5c • iOS 8.1.0 • Waze 3.9.1
Area Manager for Gravesham & Swale (Kent,UK)
Sticks221

Postby gianekaren » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:26 am

well..today instead of a different price I've a n/a everywhere... communication error?
Attachments
20120821064857.jpeg
20120821064857.jpeg (12.37 KiB) Viewed 2082 times
ImageImage
ImageArea Manager North East PA Image
Atrix 4G rooted 2.3.6
gianekaren

Postby Unholy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:17 pm

gianekaren wrote:well..today instead of a different price I've a n/a everywhere... communication error?

Hi,

Can you give me a perma link of this station or it's coordinates please?

Thanks,

Ori
Unholy
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby pixelgeek » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:07 pm

Just an idea:
Would it be possible to change the permission requirement so that one could add gas stations outside his/her editable area?

Here in Finland we are verifying the locations of gas stations using a tool which gives the coordinates where a gas station should be to see if someone added it already... If the aerial imagery is good, it usually is quite easy to spot where the gas station should be.. but now I have added/verified all the gas stations within my area... would love to add more, but the editable area is preventing me to do so... (and no, I'm not going to drive around the country just so that I can add gas stations...)
Wazing in Finland / Switzerland
AM Switzerland: Ostschweiz - St.Gallen - Appenzell
HTC Sensation / Android Revolution HD / Waze Beta Tester
pixelgeek

Postby Olestas » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:56 am

Just tried to enter prices for some different stations in Latvia. Gas price still not valid. But now it allow to enter all numbers, no more automatic 9 at the end. Does not help though :D

Stations:
ID: 266294
ID: 266295
ID: 281259
ImageImageImageImageImage
Coordinator: Latvia/Lithuania/Belarus
Country manager (Full coverage): Latvia/Lithuania/Belarus/Russia
Olestas
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby gianekaren » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:20 pm

Unholy wrote:
gianekaren wrote:well..today instead of a different price I've a n/a everywhere... communication error?

Hi,

Can you give me a perma link of this station or it's coordinates please?

Thanks,

Ori

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat=41.26709&lon=-75.83301&layers=BFTFTTTFTTFTTTTTTTTTFT
ImageImage
ImageArea Manager North East PA Image
Atrix 4G rooted 2.3.6
gianekaren

Postby FreeMan12 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:20 pm

I think that the selection of "Not Available" needs to either be expanded or more completely verified.

Here in the US many to most gas stations will list the price for regular unleaded and diesel on their big signs. I think that a lot of people are driving around entering prices as they drive by (dangerous, covered already), and entering "N/A" because they don't know the price of mid-grade and premium. As I understand it, this defeats the purpose of being able to enter your preferred fuel type and searching for it as you're driving.

I have some suggestions for fixing it:
1) Add an additional pop-up question when somebody selects "N/A" for a fuel price - "Does this station NOT CARRY this grade of fuel, or do you NOT KNOW the price for this grade?" with appropriate buttons to select. That way, drive byes could select NOT KNOW, leaving the old price.
2) Add an additional button saying "UNKNOWN" instead of just the "NOT AVAILABLE" button.
3) Only allow fuel price entry if the current speed is < 1MPH. This will completely eliminate the drive by entries, and people should be able to enter the price of all grades while standing by the pump.
4) Possibly combine 1 & 2. Always ask the question if someone selects "Not Available".
Samsung Galaxy S5 w/root

Indiana
FreeMan12

Postby foxitrot » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:35 am

FreeMan12 wrote:I think that the selection of "Not Available" needs to either be expanded or more completely verified.
Here in the US many to most gas stations will list the price for regular unleaded and diesel on their big signs. I think that a lot of people are [...] entering "N/A" because they don't know the price of mid-grade and premium. [...]

I have some suggestions for fixing it:
1) Add an additional pop-up question when somebody selects "N/A" for a fuel price - "Does this station NOT CARRY this grade of fuel, or do you NOT KNOW the price for this grade?" with appropriate buttons to select. That way, drive byes could select NOT KNOW, leaving the old price.
2) Add an additional button saying "UNKNOWN" instead of just the "NOT AVAILABLE" button.
4) Possibly combine 1 & 2. Always ask the question if someone selects "Not Available".

It would be solved by having only an "UNKNOWN" button available directly (for these who update the prices on-the-fly, this way they would thus only skip such invisible price and not damage its (although possibly older) value) and hiding the "NOT AVAILABLE" button somewhere deeper in the UI - for anyone else, who would take the care to find out the prices in the station and could make sure the fuel is REALLY not available.
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new social Android 4.0.xx.yyy (OP-X LOL-a-popp).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Nacron » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:58 am

Personally, I think there should be a way to report certain users who are just hitting correct price just to get the 8 points and probably while driving near but not close enough to see the gas prices. There are several users I know for certain that are just doing that because it says updated today and the price was from several days ago. Also, there needs to be a way to see the address of the station. I've seen it where there are several stations of the same brand on the same list.
2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i | Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 4 | 5.1.1 | Waze 3.9.8.0 RC beta
Android Beta | WME Beta
Hawaii SM | Bangkok, Thailand RM | Phitsanulok, Thailand AM
ImageImageImageImage
Nacron
Map Raider
Map Raider

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App