These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Max Speed Setting

Post by trinityerik
I would like to see a way to set your maximum speed.

Having the ETA calculated based on speed limits is great but some of us don't drive at the speed limit for various reasons (hypermiling or fuel economy, towing an RV or trailer, etc.). If we could set a maximum speed it would really help the ETA calculations to be more accurate.

An earlier post suggested a notification on screen (flash to red, an icon or some other notification) if the speed limit were surpassed. Combined with a maximum speed setting it could really help people stay legal when towing an RV or trailer. Most states have a lower speed limit when towing.
trinityerik

POSTER_ID:5724276

Send a message

Post by Daz_Kayak
as far as i was aware waze stores average speed data on each segment and that is how ETA is calculated.
Daz_Kayak
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
Waze doesn't use or even know speed limits! Travel times are based on the average speeds that wazers travel.

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by jjgrabbe
I agree with trinityerik. I rarely drive above 60 MPH. It saves on gas (by 15% or better) and reduces wear and tear on drive train and tires. I realize that Waze does not use the "posted" speed limit to calculate ETA, but it's not difficult to put a "max speed" setting on ETA calculations. Whether the posted speed or Wazer's average speed is used, it's all the same from a programming or calculation basis.

By the way, I am a professional programmer (but not for Waze), work with professional programmers and have professional programmers in my immediate family, so I fully understand the challenges involved in adding calculations and features such as this to an application. This comes down to a question of whether or not the creators of Waze WANTS to add this feature, not whether or not they CAN. :)
jjgrabbe
Send a message

Post by Manu-W
Can Waze be used as a hypermiling aid? If it can, I would love to know how. If it cannot, it would be a great feature to have!!!
Manu-W
Send a message

Post by sggirbekim
I agree that this feature would be useful for when towing. I know that California limits your speed while towing to 55mph.
Personally, while towing, I follow the truck speed limits just to get better fuel mileage (12 mpg at 60, 9 mph at 70).
sggirbekim
Send a message