These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by kelemvor33
TheDonger7 wrote: This is not a Waze issue, it's an OLED manufacturing issue. How can you blame the developers for what is an inherently flawed OLED technology? It is the plasma days all over again, just not quite as bad. But it exist.
It's a flaw in the technology that can easily be circumvented by developers who know what they're doing and who want to get around it.

You can simply move elements of the app around by a few pixels each time you open it so they aren't in the exact same place every time
You can used better UI color design so there aren't white things right next to black things which makes the burn in more noticeable.
You can have a system that dims the screen when it's not needed so any possible burn in doesn't happen as quickly.

There are plenty of development strategies that can be used to get around the OLED issues but Waze is choosing not to.
kelemvor33
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by kelemvor33
Still haven't heard any response from Waze about this even though it's affecting tons of their customers. You'd think if a company is physically damaging their customer's devices, they'd want to do something to resolve the issue... Especially because the fix is so simple.

1) Make the white borders around and inside the orange button turn black when the app changes to night mode. Everything else turns dark except the button borders stay white which causes the burn on.

2) Make the bottom status bar, the orange button, the speedometer area, etc shift around slightly each time you open the phone so the bar isn't in the exact same place.

Why is this so hard to figure out?
kelemvor33
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Attachments

Post by kelemvor33
Well, apparently Waze has no intention of fixing the problem because they keep passing the blame onto the AMOLED manufacturers instead of admitting it's their own app design. Strange how Waze is the only app I use that has anything burned into the screen. Even games that I play that are on my screen far longer than Waze is have no burn in at all.
kelemvor33
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Last edited by kelemvor33 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by kelemvor33
Crysallis wrote:I was looking at my screen last night for the first time with a solid color... and I noticed burn in on the bottom half of the screen... I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8+
Does the 8+ have the button on the bottom left corner where you can double tap it to hide the bar with the home/back/etc buttons on it? I can do that on my 9+. I had to rig up a tasker script to toggle that on and off each time I use Waze since the developers have refused to acknowledge the problem and don't seem to care they are ruining people's devices. At least this way I can move the button up and down by hiding or unhiding the bar since Waze can't just put that in the app on their own.
kelemvor33
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by kelemvor33
kumiankka wrote:Also, being a power saving option, it's triggered by battery level only, so it has to be activated manually if the phone in fully charged or charging.
This has been a complain by everyone in the Beta community since they released Battery Saver 2.0. BS 1.0 didn't have the battery level restriction and was actually useful as a battery saver and a screen saver. BS 2.0 is only a saver when your phone is already mostly dead so it's mostly useless.

However, I use a Tasker profile to automatically tap the Waze screen in certain places to automatically turn on battery saver mode for me since Waze took that ability away.
kelemvor33
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by kelemvor33
Yes, it's a limitation on AMOLED screens. However, it's fairly easy to design your app to overcome those limitations. Not having bright white objects surrounded by black objects. Not having bright objects permanently on the screen and always in the exact same place. Plenty of other "tricks" developers can use.

There are 2 or 3 specific UI elements that Waze has on the screen permanently. The orange butt, the Speed limit, etc. Those items are also bright white surrounded by a darker color which enhances the speed at which burn in will appear. All Waze has to do is admit that they could change the UI a bit to make this issue go away but they haven't.
kelemvor33
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by killerz298
I do a lot of driving and def have orange circle burn in on my Note 5. I downloaded a program which shifts the pixels to prevent it from getting any worse.
killerz298
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
ChrisWaters wrote:Have any Waze users who have a newer OLED screen encountered burn-in issues? I just upgraded to an iPhone X -- which has an OLED screen. I use Waze during my 35-minute commute each morning and evening ... and want to avoid having my screen be damaged.

Apple says they've 'engineered the Super Retina display to be the best in the industry in reducing the effects of OLED burn-in'. How effective that engineering is, especially for use with apps like Waze, remains to be seen. No pun intended. ;)
We got one screen burn-in report from an Android user in the Finnish forums, but I have the same make and model myself with no issues what so ever. Don't keep your screen brightness maxed out all the time and you should be fine.
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
I haven't experienced burn-in on my Galaxy S8 (yet...) and I prefer it that way, so I keep the screen off most of the time and drive by voice instructions only. Every now an then I turn on the screen to check couple of next turns and then back to black screen.

Recently Waze got a new power saving option that can dim the screen if there no instructions or warnings ahead. It's nice feature on long trips but useless when driving in urban areas as there is always next turn close ahead and screen stays on all the time. Also, being a power saving option, it's triggered by battery level only, so it has to be activated manually if the phone in fully charged or charging. Power saver should be developed some more and turned into a screen saver. Basic funtionality is there already. All it needs is more triggers and thresholds that actually make sense in city driving.
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message

Post by kumiankka
RPfand wrote:I have a Samsung S8 and waze burned in my screen. I have a 30 minute drive to work and home everyday. I am uninstalling and will use Google maps.
Burn-in doesn't show up in screenshot. That's by definition. You have to take a picture of your phone's display with another camera to show the damage.

My solution for avoiding burn-in is to keep screen off. When I need to see the map, I wake up the screen for a moment and turn it off again.
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Send a message