Disable snap / autozoom COMPLETELY

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Disable snap / autozoom COMPLETELY

Postby AKumarMangalick » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:16 pm

The mobile app needs to have an option NOT to snap the map automatically to the current position. It is SUPREMELY annoying to be looking around the map and then find that it automatically snaps back to my current GPS location. In fact, it seems obvious to me that the app should have this option. :roll:

A user will often want to scan around by hand, such as when stopped at a light, or prior to making a trip. The target icon allows one to snap back manually at any time.
AKumarMangalick

Re: Disable snap / autozoom COMPLETELY

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:19 pm

I like the snap-back as I can pan around at a stop light and then start driving without having to tap the me-on-map button. I like that it will just snap back for me. So, a setting would be nice, but not disabling.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:15 pm

sharpstik wrote: Is there some reason why this is not being done? Do the programmers ever monitor this forum?

Wazers specifically asked for the snap-back so they could stop previewing/panning around and start driving when the light changes and Waze would auto-snap back to their current location. More people prefer this feature than do not. Waze has not added a user UI preference setting since 2011.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby alexs001 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:02 am

My wish for autozoom is that if I have it off, it should remember its setting. I like to put it on maximum zoom on unfamiliar roads, but setting a new destination causes it to zoom out.
Area Manager: Kelowna, BC
alexs001

Postby argus-cronos » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:22 pm

It was possible in the good old days... a checkbox for disabling this would be nice in deed.
argus-cronos
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby daknife » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:28 am

Either that or change it so that it only snaps back if you start moving. If sitting in one place (and allow for GPS jitter) it should stay where you have panned it too until you hit the target icon telling it to snap you back. But once you start moving it snaps back. That would be the most logical set-up, it's manual unless you start moving.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby eno75 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:38 am

The annoying++++ part about it is you go to the place you're looking- and just as you're focussing in on what you want to look at it re-centers on your position.

I suspect this thread was made immediately on the heels of one such experience or a series of them. I know it frustrated me to the point that I was going to drive over my phone with a bulldozer. (What you call an anger management issue I call passion)

Anyway- I fully agree that we should be able to disable it completely... But as said above that it should be a setting.
Ian "Eno" McLeod
eno75

Postby eno75 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:16 am

Why is it that you can choose NO AUTOZOOM an yet it still does?

456 I just can't win with this ap
Ian "Eno" McLeod
eno75

Postby gamersea » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:17 pm

I like it sometimes, other times it annoyes me so much! I would like some more option on the zoom overall.
gamersea

Postby sharpstik » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:03 pm

I heartily agree. This "feature" makes using Waze very difficult. Usually my wife is navigating while I drive and every few minutes she starts cussing because she is trying to examine traffic ahead and within five seconds or so is snapped back to the current position.
At first I thought that we must be clueless and couldn't find the setting to control this, but when I got on the forum to ask about it, saw that there seems to be no way to fix it.
I would like to see an option to set this time to variable seconds, or temporarily disabled completely.
Is there some reason why this is not being done? Do the programmers ever monitor this forum?
sharpstik

Return to Waze App