Gas price updates from 3rd Party are very wrong

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Gas price updates from 3rd Party are very wrong

Postby Mike-1323 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:20 pm

kentsmith9 wrote:I also continue to see regular updates from 3rd party that includes N/A on various combinations of fuel grades including one station recently that had all four as NA and 3rd party was the last to touch it.

Personally it is such a joke that I don't even consider most of the the fuel price data valid because of the 3rd party updates being so inconsistent and screwing up what appears to be the very valid user entered data at other times.

That's about the way I feel about it. The unreliability of the 3rd party updates makes it pointless to use Waze to find the best deal for gas.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby cverbil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:34 pm

Many people just click on price update, whether the existing price is right or not, just for the points. After all, Waze is just a game for most people...it's all about the points.

It is so easy to manipulate prices, by entering pretty much anything you want. Waze backend is not intelligent enough to know what is a realistic price, and what is not.

And trust me, even the Waze programmers are not intelligent enough to write an algorithm that makes sense of elastic pricing theory, such that exists in the retail gasoline marketplace.

You are right though, in that the pricing database in Waze is worthless. Hey...guess what...the users get what they pay for!
cverbil

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:58 pm

cverbil wrote:Many people just click on price update, whether the existing price is right or not, just for the points. After all, Waze is just a game for most people...it's all about the points.

This thread is not about gas prices entered by Waze users.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Previous

Return to Waze App