Battery Drain

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Battery Drain

Postby Nikka93 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:35 pm

Hi Guys, i'm on Samsung S8 totally stock firmware and updated.

Since many months with beta app i've seen a huge battery drain even if i don't use waze at all.
So i didn't installed other beta version and i used the regular one from PLAY STORE.

But now i've problem also with the regular app.

Probably is not the app that uses energy but it launches some process in the background.
When i have waze installed i got not more than 3.45h of screen, only unistalling waze i go up to 5h...

I tried everything also tried to wipe cache from recovery but the problem is still here.

I Always have location on.

I can't survive without waze!
Nikka93

Re: Battery Drain

Postby Nikka93 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:44 pm

Any chance to get help?
Nikka93

Postby crusdepelos » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Hello.

Have you tried to restore the app?
Just write this text in the search bar:
##@resetapp
Wase will be closed. You open it again and reconfigure it from 0.

You can also try the new "Battery saver" utility,
You can activate it from the general settings of the app.

Do you really need to have the location always active?
When you do not use an app that really requires precise location (Waze, Google Maps, ...) i recommend that you set the location in the "Battery saving" mode. In that mode the battery of your device will last much longer.

Regards.
bq Aquaris X • Android 8.1.0 • Waze actualizado
crusdepelos
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby jr1982jr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:55 pm

I had an S6 & S7 before my last phone switch and I have to tell you, the screen was absolutely (and still is) the far biggest user of battery. With my new phone, it has a magnetic car mount so I just click it into the powered mount and it always is charging.

Since you're using an Android, charge the phone fully before an upcoming trip then use the phone as you normally would do. Immediately after the drive, look at the battery utilization by application by going into Settings.Battery. This will tell you how much battery was used since the last 100% mark at the top and each application at the bottom. Your situation will be unusual if Screen is not #1 by a large percentage.

If Waze is every close, then you might try Battery Saving, or an app reset. You are also able to drive in what I call "blind mode" where you turn off the screen once you start. I sometimes do this when I know the route well, have no charging mechanism and want to know about upcoming changes, etc. Generally, I always drive with the phone charging now though.

Thanks,
jr1982jr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby jr1982jr » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:59 pm

There's a nice article on android battery utilization here: https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/ ... d-0162267/

Enjoy,
jr1982jr
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby NotontheT » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:48 pm

I've been experiencing this since the last update. The battery drains even while the phone is plugged in. 15 minutes of use with my phone plugged in actually dropped the battery more than 10%. Waze appears at the top of my battery drain list. It's not the screen being on or location services. I looked at the battery saver option, and all that does is dim the screen, which is useless when the screen isn't the issue.

I had this same issue maybe a year or two ago. I ended up restoring the previous version of the app from a backup and waiting on the next release before updating.
NotontheT

Postby centauri » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:46 am

I'm experiencing the same issue with waze v4.34 and up on IOS.
centauri

Postby radgastr » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:26 pm

It's something with graphics rendering, which cause battery drain, I think.
I lowered resolution in system settings on my Galaxy S7 and phone is not heating now.
You can try
radgastr

Postby m_jurrens » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:04 pm

Same problem with my iPhone 10. I will leave my phone in my car at work, because I have to, and will come back to a dead battery. Low and behold, even while not navigating after arriving, Waze is secretly usurping the battery, I assume acquiring and beaconing it’s location that hasn’t changed in 8 hours.
m_jurrens

Return to Waze App