Wazers on the map

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Wazers on the map

Postby stevecody » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:12 pm

Hey all,

When do the Wazer icons appear on the map in my mobile device, and do they update their location periodically? I'm just wondering when my icon is on the map and how often my position is updated. I frequently pass wazer icons but they are long gone so I have no idea when they were actually at that location or not.
Steve Cody
iPhone 4 - Verizon - iOS 6.0.1
AM: Columbia, SC and Sumter, SC
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager

Wazers on the map

Postby rbthomp76 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:40 pm

I wonder about this as well. Sometimes I pass an icon on the map but there are no cars there.. Ghost wazers I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbthomp76

Re: Wazers on the map

Postby dmcconachie » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:54 pm

Wazers positions on the map are delayed by anything up to 5 minutes and aren't always accurate either for privacy reasons.
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby stevecody » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:02 pm

Thanks. That makes sense.

I think I'll get my wife to turn Waze on while we're out driving and she can track my Wazer and see how often I'm updated.
Steve Cody
iPhone 4 - Verizon - iOS 6.0.1
AM: Columbia, SC and Sumter, SC
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:45 pm

stevecody wrote:Thanks. That makes sense.

I think I'll get my wife to turn Waze on while we're out driving and she can track my Wazer and see how often I'm updated.

I've done this before, and depending on speed, it can be miles different. The view of Wazers in the app is also limited to something like 40, so depending on density, you will only see a fraction of actual wazers. This feature is to give a sense of community and be an actual representation of everyone's true location. That would take up way more of everyone's data plan that it already does, impact the Waze servers sending this data, and would significantly slowdown the app if it was trying to update the position of 2000 wazers near you.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby keepitmovin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:03 am

i think the concept of showing people on the map is great. but the way it is now is totally useless. if the person is not where it says they are they might was well not be there at all. it would be nice to have it real time for the people that want to opt in for example, understanding privacy concerns etc.
keepitmovin

Postby ncc1701v » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:39 am

If you want other Wazers on the road to be able to find you, it's not so easy (privacy). If you want someone at home to be able to find you, there's good ole Glympse.
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:14 am

Real time would be near impossible and completely hose the entire Waze network. Millions of people would opt-in and then we'd have network gridlock with the servers trying to keep user location sent out every second. Your phone would also run at a crawl speed as it tried to keep hundreds of local Wazers updated in real time on the map.

No thanks.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby keepitmovin » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:45 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Real time would be near impossible and completely hose the entire Waze network. Millions of people would opt-in and then we'd have network gridlock with the servers trying to keep user location sent out every second. Your phone would also run at a crawl speed as it tried to keep hundreds of local Wazers updated in real time on the map.

No thanks.

ok...so what is the point of showing them when they are not really where it shows they are? maybe the icons should appear as ghosts.
keepitmovin

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:11 pm

keepitmovin wrote:ok...so what is the point of showing them when they are not really where it shows they are? maybe the icons should appear as ghosts.

Just the sense of community is one. Also, you can still tap on someone and ping them. If they didn't show on the map at all, you couldn't do that. And for those who don't care/don't want to see them, or those who are bothered by the tardiness of locations ;) , they can decide not to show the Wazers.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Waze App