These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.
Post by jm6087
genemahan wrote:It’s especially irritating as it seems like an extension of a liberal agenda, and fine to see it once, but every time I log in it’s very annoying. What tech companies need to understand are two important things;
1) Anything they add to an app, a lot of people won’t use, and some will find it really annoying. Therefore ALL new features (not just this one) need to have some sort of function allowing users to turn them off.
It is an advertisement, just happens be to Waze advertising. Since most tech companies are a for profit business, they tend to sell advertisement space to be able to offer a FREE product.
Even when you use google to search for something, there are always ads to be seen. Most websites have advertisements all over their page.
genemahan wrote:2) For new features that seem to include some sort of political agenda, this applies even more so.
How is offering carpool a political agenda?
There "About Us" section states:
"Waze is all about contributing to the 'common good' out there on the road."

One way they are trying to contribute to the 'common good' out there on the road is offering Carpool which can take cars off the road and make traffic faster for everyone. No one says you have to participate in Carpool (I personally don't) and the ads only pop up when sitting still or when first starting up, so it does not interfere with the actual use of the app either.
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
wthomp11 wrote:
karlcr9911 wrote:What pop-up? The Carpool announcement was disabled last week.
I'm in Ohio. The annoying carpool announcement continues. It came up and wouldn't leave the screen, no matter how many times I hit the remind me later button. (Which the whole thing is not aligned with the safety features of the rest of the app. If I have to hit multiple buttons to prove I'm the passenger, why would this pop up and require me to press a button to get rid of it while in driving?)

To get rid of it, so I could see where I'm going I had to Close the app, download and open a different map to get home.

The message you quoted from @karlcr9911 was almost a year ago. They pop-ups disappeared for a little while but it is still a major push for the company.

I don't recall ever seeing any ad/pop-up stay on the screen while driving.
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
DeWayneKuhn wrote:This 'feature' had become so annoying that I stopped using Waze completely. Now only using Google Maps.

So Waze lost all advertising revenue from me for this silly distraction that cannot be disabled.
This 'feature' only pops up when stopped. If you don't see it, you will see another advertisement popup. After all, it is a company that needs to make money.
Good luck with Google Maps since they don't tend to update their maps as quick as the Waze volunteers.
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
usa_1nflwqxj wrote:Where is the search button on the live map...can not find it. Walker Smith
It is in the top left of the livemap page, not in the Waze App where you are asking the question and unrelated to the "Carpool Icon" that this actual thread is discussing.
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
philklingelhofer wrote:How about it? I really don’t want this blocking my screen
I am not sure what you are referring to. The "carpool reminders" don't block the screen while driving. The only time that they may show up is when you are at zero speed, which will still happen with other ads if not the carpool reminder.
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
crm17 wrote:
jm6087 wrote:
philklingelhofer wrote:How about it? I really don’t want this blocking my screen
I am not sure what you are referring to. The "carpool reminders" don't block the screen while driving. The only time that they may show up is when you are at zero speed, which will still happen with other ads if not the carpool reminder.
I often hit the thumbs up to thank someone, while moving, and it opens the car pool full screen.

I cannot tell you strongly enough how much I love Waze in general but HATE this car pool nonsense.

I have stopped recommending Waze to others because of it.
Pressing the thumbs up won't open the cap pool screen, you must be dragging from right to left just enough to get the car pool screen to open. Happens to me occasionally, I just do a quick drag from the left to the right to hide it again. Easy fix
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
RexGuinnMeow wrote:It discusses the issue being fixed, but it is not. I was on a trip on Saturday and Sunday and it popped up repeatedly.
What is popping up "repeatedly"? Do you have any screenshots of the popups? If you can provide screenshots, we might be able to get an understanding of what you are actually seeing.
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
RexGuinnMeow wrote:Seriously, you’re going to pretend like you don’t know what I’m talking about? This whole thread is about one thing. Here is a screen capture. It pops up repeatedly without me touching the phone or anything and on many occasions you can’t swipe to clear it. The only way to clear it is to back out of Waze and swipe the app away the restart it.
I am not pretending like I don't know what you are talking about. As I stated, I am trying to get an understanding at what you are seeing.

That screen has never popped up on me while driving. In fact that screen does not "pop-up", it slides in from the right (as is evident from the black bar on the left). The only time I see that screen is if I am trying to select something on the screen and I accidentally drag from the right side. As I said in my earlier post, when I do get that, I just swipe back to the left from where the chevron on the left is at. That brings back my map.

One other thing is to make sure you have the current version installed (4.51.2.1)
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
RexGuinnMeow wrote:Seriously, you’re going to pretend like you don’t know what I’m talking about?
RexGuinnMeow wrote:Thanks for your useless reply. It pops up on me all the time as it does most of the people in this thread. Read before you reply.
I requested information (screenshot) to try and ensure I understood what exactly you were seeing and provided feedback based off your question, screenshot and personal experience.
There is no need to continuously be rude. If you actually read my response before your rude comments, you will note that I was given information based off what happens to me.
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
DblD022 wrote:If there is not a way to disable this junk I'll abandon Waze like a lot of others have.
Being that this forum is not regularly monitored by Waze staff, mandating the volunteers fix something "or else" won't do any good.
DblD022 wrote:It's the slide in that's the problem. With the vehicle bouncing around it's difficult to not cause it to pop "slide over". Make carpool a toggle in set-up somewhere.
The vehicle bouncing alone would not cause the slide over. Something must be interacting with the screen.
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ