Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Time Limit for Reports

Post by Faelandaea
What is the time limit for reports?

The reason I ask is I commute 98 miles every morning to work and I keep seeing the same cars still on the shoulder I reported before, but my reports from the prior morning are, of course, gone. Is there a time limit on reports or is there some troll driving down the road removing reports?
Faelandaea

POSTER_ID:17606314

Send a message
Faelandaea Nicholas Dravin
Class A CDL Driver

Post by Faelandaea
Wow. That short huh? Okay, thanks. I can understand such a short time for police and accident reports, but for abandoned vehicles on the road I’d think they would have done like half a day or something. Still good to know though. Stay safe and take care.
Faelandaea
Send a message
Class A CDL Driver

Post by Faelandaea
trainman74 wrote:
Faelandaea wrote:Wow. That short huh? Okay, thanks. I can understand such a short time for police and accident reports, but for abandoned vehicles on the road I’d think they would have done like half a day or something. Still good to know though. Stay safe and take care.
In my experience, "vehicle stopped on shoulder" is more often a case of someone having temporary car trouble than it is a completely abandoned vehicle, so it seems more appropriate to have a relatively short timeout on the reports. (Also, I mostly drive around Los Angeles, where they usually get cars off the freeway shoulders quickly.)
Yeah here in Colorado cars on the shoulder tend to be there for quite a while. We know they are abandoned because as you drive by they have orange tags on them from where the State patrol tagged them ... basically tags telling future State Patrol that the car has already been checked. Also, if cars aren't removed in x-amount of days from the tag being placed, the State Patrol has them towed.

Typically when I drive my commute from Pueblo, CO to Denver, CO at 4 am, I see the same cars on the shoulder for up to three days at a time. I end up having to report them every morning, but now that I know it is only a 30 minute timer, I am going to go ahead and stop reporting, because there is no way in heck another Waze user is going to happen by there within 30 minutes at 4 am LOL
Faelandaea
Send a message
Class A CDL Driver

Post by kumiankka
Faelandaea wrote:What is the time limit for reports?

The reason I ask is I commute 98 miles every morning to work and I keep seeing the same cars still on the shoulder I reported before, but my reports from the prior morning are, of course, gone. Is there a time limit on reports or is there some troll driving down the road removing reports?
Report stays on the map for 30 minutes or so. If another wazer thumbs up the report, it extends the time for 15 minutes.
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by trainman74
Faelandaea wrote:Wow. That short huh? Okay, thanks. I can understand such a short time for police and accident reports, but for abandoned vehicles on the road I’d think they would have done like half a day or something. Still good to know though. Stay safe and take care.
In my experience, "vehicle stopped on shoulder" is more often a case of someone having temporary car trouble than it is a completely abandoned vehicle, so it seems more appropriate to have a relatively short timeout on the reports. (Also, I mostly drive around Los Angeles, where they usually get cars off the freeway shoulders quickly.)
trainman74
Send a message

Post by trainman74
Faelandaea wrote:Typically when I drive my commute from Pueblo, CO to Denver, CO at 4 am, I see the same cars on the shoulder for up to three days at a time. I end up having to report them every morning, but now that I know it is only a 30 minute timer, I am going to go ahead and stop reporting, because there is no way in heck another Waze user is going to happen by there within 30 minutes at 4 am LOL
Yeah, I would say that an abandoned car on the shoulder isn't as urgent of a report as someone that's pulled onto the shoulder due to car trouble -- the latter might have someone right there changing a tire or doing other work, so it's more important to watch out for that than a car with no one around that's obviously not going anywhere for a while.
trainman74
Send a message

Post by usa_9nvdc1lj
Is that time limit also true for short term construction such as minor road repairs? DOT construction probably being the exception, i.e. long term, months of work.
I reported some road construction this morning a came back an hour later and the Construction alert was gone.
Tnx
usa_9nvdc1lj
Send a message