Apple and the iO6

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Apple and the iO6

Postby txemt » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:00 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
Spazinbc wrote:ha, i would NEVER use Waze for mapping, especially since in my area it didn't even show rivers. I only use it to view/report traffic conditions and police. Other than that, it's Google maps, Nokia maps, or Mapquest for iOS 6 for me.

So in other words, you contribute no useful data. You don't run the app and contribute traffic data. You report traffic conditions, which doesnt actually contribute to rerouting around traffic if you're not driving with Waze running. And you post in the forums complaining that the data is bad in a crowd sourced application that you don't contribute to.

Obviously Waze is not the app for you.

I have to agree with you Jason. Why complain about something you know nothing about and don't use often enough to know how beneficial it is for you. I bet this guy is one of those people that will report a "general error" about the map and there's a "user reported GPS" a block long and a "Waze provided route" 5 miles long and we can't figure out what's going on. :)
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby letukka » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Spazinbc wrote:ha, i would NEVER use Waze for mapping, especially since in my area it didn't even show rivers. I only use it to view/report traffic conditions and police. Other than that, it's Google maps, Nokia maps, or Mapquest for iOS 6 for me.

A couple weeks ago, while on a business trip, I tried using Waze to navigate in an area that I was only marginally familiar with, and found that Waze is not particularly well suited for that purpose.
Waze is great if you already know how to get to your destination, though.
letukka

Apple and the iO6

Postby stevecody » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:27 pm

For Siri, say "Launch sounds like Waze" and it works. You can even shorten it to "Launch like Waze". Both work for me, every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Steve Cody
iPhone 4 - Verizon - iOS 6.0.1
AM: Columbia, SC and Sumter, SC
stevecody
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby txemt » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:09 pm

Spazinbc wrote:
ha, i would NEVER use Waze for mapping, especially since in my area it didn't even show rivers. I only use it to view/report traffic conditions and police. Other than that, it's Google maps, Nokia maps, or Mapquest for iOS 6 for me.

Where do you live, Spazinbc?
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.
txemt
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby invented » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:24 am

txemt wrote:
Spazinbc wrote:
ha, i would NEVER use Waze for mapping, especially since in my area it didn't even show rivers. I only use it to view/report traffic conditions and police. Other than that, it's Google maps, Nokia maps, or Mapquest for iOS 6 for me.

Where do you live, Spazinbc?

Could be "spaz in BC" Canada, where the basemap has no water and it's all gotta be drawn in.
HTC one, GPE, Android 4.4
invented

Postby floppyrod84 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:42 am

Sounds like someone should get editing and using instead of bitching about a product that touts itself as "only as good as the crowd"... Says it all.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Postby sk2380 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:58 am

xbassman wrote:
mi2001 wrote:
On another note, Apple upgraded Siri, so you can open apps just by voice, but the iPhone interprets "Waze" and "ways" and will not open the Waze app. I have no problem with opening it by hands, but this is the other thing I noticed.

Try spelling W A Z E. It works for me

Works for me as well.....

It worked me both was like spelling W.A.Z.E and I found out new way as well I said Siri to "launch W.A.Zee.E " this worked best for me. I am using iPhone 5
sk2380
CM India

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
sk2380

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:01 pm

I've been frustrated by Siri numerous times. For one thing, she's terrible with understanding regional accents. If you have a notable northeastern or southern American accent, you can pretty much forget using her. If you don't say things exactly the way people sound in the Bay Area of northern California, chances are she'll misunderstand you. Second, if you need to use names of things not found in the dictionary, (or pronounceable indexes of your iPhone, like your contacts, or Bing or Google) and don't know how Siri would guess at pronouncing them (often her guess is wrong, but if you say it the right way, she won't understand), then she just guesses, usually coming up with something totally incorrect and useless. Further, there's nowhere to report these problems, because Apple knows they would be totally overwhelmed by all the problem tickets people would submit.

This is especially frustrating in a context where tapping out corrections is not possible, like while driving in the car.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS 9.3.2 / Waze 4.6
PhantomSoul
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:03 am

sk2380 wrote:It worked me both was like spelling W.A.Z.E and I found out new way as well I said Siri to "launch W.A.Zee.E " this worked best for me. I am using iPhone 5

Not sure if you noticed above, but over here, saying "launch sounds like waze" works fine.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby floppyrod84 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:34 am

That works in the UK too FYI.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84

Previous

Return to Waze App