Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Apple and the iO6

Post by
I don't like the maps program on Apple's new software update. I will be sticking with Waze. I did try it out a little bit today and will try it out this weekend, but I've already decided not to use the Apple mapping program. On that note, I did notice something the Apple maps did that Waze doesn't do and I was wondering if there would be an update to programming of Waze. Here's what I noticed:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 7,62374276

I was driving down Wruzbach Blvd and ditched onto Sid Katz as soon as I hit a major traffic jam due to construction. As soon as I turned, I heard "turn right onto Tom Slick Dr" and as soon as I turned onto Tom Slick, I heard "turn right onto Hamilton Wolfe Rd." I noticed that as soon as I turned, Apple maps knew I turned and already had told me I needed to turn again, which is a very short distance. I know Waze would take just a little bit longer to update the route and I may have missed Tom Slick Dr because of that delay Waze has. Is there something in the programming that could be done to make Waze quicker at getting new directions when we veer off course? Or is there nothing that can be done because it's all based on how quickly GPS updates?

On another note, Apple upgraded Siri, so you can open apps just by voice, but the iPhone interprets "Waze" and "ways" and will not open the Waze app. I have no problem with opening it by hands, but this is the other thing I noticed.

POSTER_ID:8943870

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
txemt wrote:I guess Siri still has a few bugs.
:lol:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sk2380 wrote:It worked me both was like spelling W.A.Z.E and I found out new way as well I said Siri to "launch W.A.Zee.E " this worked best for me. I am using iPhone 5
Not sure if you noticed above, but over here, saying "launch sounds like waze" works fine.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by apcastig
The best way to resolve your issues with iO6 is brake away from the zombie's and join mother earth and all will be whole again... ;^) :idea:
apcastig
Send a message

Post by bgodette
letukka wrote:
txemt wrote:I noticed that as soon as I turned, Apple maps knew I turned and already had told me I needed to turn again, which is a very short distance. I know Waze would take just a little bit longer to update the route and I may have missed Tom Slick Dr because of that delay Waze has. Is there something in the programming that could be done to make Waze quicker at getting new directions when we veer off course? Or is there nothing that can be done because it's all based on how quickly GPS updates?
I don't know how this works, but I have a theory. Based on the GPS data, the maps app more or less knows where the vehicle is and how fast it's moving. But the iPhone also has a built-in compass and accelerometer. When you turn off route onto a side street, the accelerometer can detect the vehicle slowing down for the turn, and the compass detects the change in the vehicle orientation. Then the maps app thinks "hey, the guy is making a turn here, and based on the speed/location data I have we're most likely at intersection X now". It should be technically possible for the Waze app to do something like this.
+1 and likely what's going on.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by dfw76248
apcastig wrote:The best way to resolve your issues with iO6 is brake away from the zombie's and join mother earth and all will be whole again... ;^) :idea:
My how times change. Once that kind a response was reserved for IBM or Microsoft. As one who's been along for the ride since the Apple II in 1979, it actually brings a smile to my face. You made my day.
dfw76248
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Sounds like someone should get editing and using instead of bitching about a product that touts itself as "only as good as the crowd"... Says it all.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
That works in the UK too FYI.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by geoffb
txemt wrote:On another note, Apple upgraded Siri, so you can open apps just by voice, but the iPhone interprets "Waze" and "ways" and will not open the Waze app. I have no problem with opening it by hands, but this is the other thing I noticed.
Siri interprets as "Wahz," not "Wayz." I tried training Siri to eventually know I wanted Waze, but no luck. Also, trying to pronounce it how Siri says it only yielded, "it doesn't look like you have an app named was."
geoffb
Send a message

Post by invented
txemt wrote:
Spazinbc wrote:
ha, i would NEVER use Waze for mapping, especially since in my area it didn't even show rivers. I only use it to view/report traffic conditions and police. Other than that, it's Google maps, Nokia maps, or Mapquest for iOS 6 for me.

Where do you live, Spazinbc?
Could be "spaz in BC" Canada, where the basemap has no water and it's all gotta be drawn in.
invented
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
Spazinbc wrote: ha, i would NEVER use Waze for mapping, especially since in my area it didn't even show rivers. I only use it to view/report traffic conditions and police. Other than that, it's Google maps, Nokia maps, or Mapquest for iOS 6 for me.
So in other words, you contribute no useful data. You don't run the app and contribute traffic data. You report traffic conditions, which doesnt actually contribute to rerouting around traffic if you're not driving with Waze running. And you post in the forums complaining that the data is bad in a crowd sourced application that you don't contribute to.

Obviously Waze is not the app for you.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message