Apple and the iO6

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Apple and the iO6

Postby Kandralla » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:04 am

kentsmith9 wrote:Waze is taking a lot of factors into account to compute the best round including traffic information. I don't believe any other application does anywhere near the number of calculations done by Waze.


I think a bigger time issue is that, relative to other navigation systems, Waze lets you drive a really long way off route before it will recalculate. Waze's snap to behavior is way to optimistic regarding how likely it is that you're still on route.
Last edited by gerben on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed the quote
Area Manager for Pittsburgh and Erie, PA
Kandralla
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:15 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Apple and the iO6

Postby kentsmith9 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:21 am

For your GPS recalculate question, Waze is taking a lot of factors into account to compute the best round including traffic information. I don't believe any other application does anywhere near the number of calculations done by Waze. Normally it is pretty quick. Worst case you have to make an additional u-turn or maybe just the next left or right turn. Personally I find it a small price to pay for the incredible information it puts in my driving hands.

On your other question, I don't have Siri, so I do not know.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 4343
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:33 pm
Location: SF/SJ Bay Area of Northern California
Has thanked: 921 times
Been thanked: 1090 times

Re: Apple and the iO6

Postby letukka » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:45 pm

txemt wrote:I noticed that as soon as I turned, Apple maps knew I turned and already had told me I needed to turn again, which is a very short distance. I know Waze would take just a little bit longer to update the route and I may have missed Tom Slick Dr because of that delay Waze has. Is there something in the programming that could be done to make Waze quicker at getting new directions when we veer off course? Or is there nothing that can be done because it's all based on how quickly GPS updates?

I don't know how this works, but I have a theory. Based on the GPS data, the maps app more or less knows where the vehicle is and how fast it's moving. But the iPhone also has a built-in compass and accelerometer. When you turn off route onto a side street, the accelerometer can detect the vehicle slowing down for the turn, and the compass detects the change in the vehicle orientation. Then the maps app thinks "hey, the guy is making a turn here, and based on the speed/location data I have we're most likely at intersection X now". It should be technically possible for the Waze app to do something like this.
letukka
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:25 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Apple and the iO6

Postby letukka » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Spazinbc wrote:ha, i would NEVER use Waze for mapping, especially since in my area it didn't even show rivers. I only use it to view/report traffic conditions and police. Other than that, it's Google maps, Nokia maps, or Mapquest for iOS 6 for me.

A couple weeks ago, while on a business trip, I tried using Waze to navigate in an area that I was only marginally familiar with, and found that Waze is not particularly well suited for that purpose.
Waze is great if you already know how to get to your destination, though.
letukka
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:25 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Apple and the iO6

Postby MdSyah » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:41 am

Since the launching of ios6, I m having problem log in to Waze Dashboard. After I enter the user id and password and touch the log in, it will go back to the blank log in page again and again. This only happen to dashboard. The rest work fine. For Your Information the ipad in question is the new ipad. Therefore, what i can assume is, some of Waze features still not compitable with the ios6 in ipad new. Or someone in the forum who is on ipad new have the solution.
MdSyah
Image
Country Manager for Brunei, Malaysia, Singapore & Thailand
WazeBORNEO
Waze Malaysia
Waze Thailand
Image Image Image
Image
MdSyah
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:41 am
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: Apple and the iO6

Postby mi2001 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:43 pm

On another note, Apple upgraded Siri, so you can open apps just by voice, but the iPhone interprets "Waze" and "ways" and will not open the Waze app. I have no problem with opening it by hands, but this is the other thing I noticed.


Try spelling W A Z E. It works for me
mi2001
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:21 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Apple and the iO6

Postby michail71 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:46 pm

bgodette wrote:
letukka wrote:
txemt wrote:I noticed that as soon as I turned, Apple maps knew I turned and already had told me I needed to turn again, which is a very short distance. I know Waze would take just a little bit longer to update the route and I may have missed Tom Slick Dr because of that delay Waze has. Is there something in the programming that could be done to make Waze quicker at getting new directions when we veer off course? Or is there nothing that can be done because it's all based on how quickly GPS updates?

I don't know how this works, but I have a theory. Based on the GPS data, the maps app more or less knows where the vehicle is and how fast it's moving. But the iPhone also has a built-in compass and accelerometer. When you turn off route onto a side street, the accelerometer can detect the vehicle slowing down for the turn, and the compass detects the change in the vehicle orientation. Then the maps app thinks "hey, the guy is making a turn here, and based on the speed/location data I have we're most likely at intersection X now". It should be technically possible for the Waze app to do something like this.
+1 and likely what's going on.


Ah yes, I've noticed the lack of compass too in waze. That makes it appear slow to recognize what's going on sometimes.

I'm not sure if the accelerometer is used by other apps but it does sound like a good idea to help an app get its bearings.
michail71
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:11 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Apple and the iO6

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:01 pm

I've been frustrated by Siri numerous times. For one thing, she's terrible with understanding regional accents. If you have a notable northeastern or southern American accent, you can pretty much forget using her. If you don't say things exactly the way people sound in the Bay Area of northern California, chances are she'll misunderstand you. Second, if you need to use names of things not found in the dictionary, (or pronounceable indexes of your iPhone, like your contacts, or Bing or Google) and don't know how Siri would guess at pronouncing them (often her guess is wrong, but if you say it the right way, she won't understand), then she just guesses, usually coming up with something totally incorrect and useless. Further, there's nowhere to report these problems, because Apple knows they would be totally overwhelmed by all the problem tickets people would submit.

This is especially frustrating in a context where tapping out corrections is not possible, like while driving in the car.
Image
MENTOR, CM: United States, AM: Northern NJ, Upstate NY
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS 8.1.3 / Waze 3.9.1
PhantomSoul
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:00 am
Location: Union, NJ USA
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 338 times

Re: Apple and the iO6

Postby RoundTrip » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:33 pm

ways and W.A.Z.E both fail for me.

"was" seems to work, it is also how siri pronounces the app. If you say "launch was GPS" or "launch GPS was" you should get WAZE or a list of your installed GPS apps..

It may also depend a little on which region you have your language set to.
RoundTrip
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:39 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time

Re: Apple and the iO6

Postby sk2380 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:58 am

xbassman wrote:
mi2001 wrote:
On another note, Apple upgraded Siri, so you can open apps just by voice, but the iPhone interprets "Waze" and "ways" and will not open the Waze app. I have no problem with opening it by hands, but this is the other thing I noticed.


Try spelling W A Z E. It works for me


Works for me as well.....

It worked me both was like spelling W.A.Z.E and I found out new way as well I said Siri to "launch W.A.Zee.E " this worked best for me. I am using iPhone 5
ImageImage
Image
sk2380
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:41 pm
Location: India
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 44 times

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users