These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Small but critical feature, Logic flaw in the app

Post by parishwolfe
There is a small but really annoying thing that happens when you use the waze app, this is a behavior that is a logical flaw. Sometimes destinations are suggested, and that is good and that is ok. However, I am not always going to the place that it suggests. When you are very quick to input your destination and route, the suggested destination overrides and spins up a new route if you don't hit the X on the countdown.
For example, I open the waze app, it suggests that I go to work and starts the timer. I do not press the X to dismiss the suggestion. I am not going to work, I am going home, so I press home from the menu and the route spins up. Then at the end of the 5 or 10 second timer for the suggestion, it overrides and routes me to work instead. You could just remember to click the X each time if you aren't going where it suggests, But I shouldn't have to do this.

I contend that this is a logical flaw. If I click a destination from my list of recent places, It should dismiss the suggested destination as I have already told the computer machine where I want to go.

I have missed this nuance before and ended up going a ways out of my way because I didn't realize that my destination had changed. This is a small change that will save everyone a few seconds, and combined the time savings X Waze users = A lot of time saved. Please Save us from this 1st world problem!!!
parishwolfe

POSTER_ID:16976111

Send a message

Post by Davidbroembroem
This has happened to me as well a couple of times.
Davidbroembroem
Send a message

Post by G_W1Z
Waze automatically begins your route depending on the time of day. I'm not sure the exact time parameters, but it does this as a convenience to you based on the likelihood that you are going to a given place at a given time.

I can understand that you may go somewhere else entirely during that window of time and have to tap immediately to stop the navigation from beginning.

It's important to remember that Waze's primary function is for commuting. When you keep that in mind, it makes sense that these features are in place.
G_W1Z
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
G_W1Z
Pennsylvania SM | New Jersey LAM | District of Columbia & Maine AM
USA Regions: NOR, MAR, NER
A phoenix out of the ashes...together building a more perfect map.
» Waze Etiquette | PA Wiki | Glossary | Places | Lanes | Shields | JSG | Scripts «
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... anager.pnghttps://j.mp/2X2TtcVhttps://www.dropbox.com/s/3o2pi4wjn6w1s ... .jpg?raw=1https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/yezyes6g ... 0rem&raw=1

Post by kumiankka
G_W1Z wrote:Waze automatically begins your route depending on the time of day. I'm not sure the exact time parameters, but it does this as a convenience to you based on the likelihood that you are going to a given place at a given time.

I can understand that you may go somewhere else entirely during that window of time and have to tap immediately to stop the navigation from beginning.

It's important to remember that Waze's primary function is for commuting. When you keep that in mind, it makes sense that these features are in place.
The problem is that Waze won't cancel the suggested destination even if user has manually selected some other destination during the countdown. The route Waze will calculate is not the one user asked for.

There is two possible solutions for this
- Cancel & Go buttons should be modal, they should not accept taps anywhere else. Thus, user must cancel the countdown in case the destination is wrong.
OR
- Tapping anywhere else than go/continue is equal to hitting cancel.
kumiankka
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by mikeerage
I have seen the same issue myself. I just eventually notice that it is taking me to the wrong place. I never figured out what was happening, but it did annoy me to have to stop and re-start navigation when it did.
mikeerage
Send a message

Post by ramblinwreck_81
What you are describing does NOT sound like a bug. So, I think it fits as a feature request. Check the posted info in this forum to confirm for yourself this is not a bug. And if so, add it as a feature request. viewforum.php?f=657
ramblinwreck_81
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Answers: 2
Send a message