These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Do you leave your client running?

Post by
Hey all,

When I first started using the app, I would turn it off every time I turned off the car, but I had problems with my points updating.

Through trial and error I have found that the only way to get my points to update reliably, is to leave my client on, whether I'm driving or not.

Typically, just before midnight the data upload will occur, and then I can quit the app without consequences.

Problem is, leaving the Waze app running seems to wear on the battery life of my Samsung Galaxy S3.

What do you do? Have you also found that leaving the app running all the time is required?

POSTER_ID:10483724

Send a message

Post by able2ru
I haven't seen a clear answer to this question. I've read that you must leave Waze running to get your points and alerts. Is this:

a) With the actual program running with the map displayed, or can it also be

b) With the actual program not displaying (such as returning to the home screen or accessing another app or making a phone call) but with the Waze icon displaying in the notification bar?

If (b) does not count as the app Waze is running, what is the purpose of putting the icon up in the notification area if Waze isn't actually running, and (?) recording points?
able2ru
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
If you have data connection when you shut down Waze it should upload before it actually exits. If it doesn't have a data connection there will be an icon and msg at the top of the screen.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
Please note that you do need a data connection at the end of your drive for it to upload to Waze.
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by AndyPoms
If you don't have a working data connection to Waze, the top of the screen will show "Searching Network...". This also happens when switching between connection types (Cell Network/Wi-Fi. 3G/4G, etc)...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by Bigbear3764
Turn it off when done driving. It will load your drives at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by gerben
Please note that it is not needed to upload logs to record your driven miles/km's. The upload logs function sends the program logs to Waze so they can use it to troubleshoot crashes and other problems.
gerben
Send a message
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
[img]https:///EcBKq[/img][img]https:///WS6zp[/img][img]https:///Y17fx[/img]https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/35/luiconring.png

Post by Grid64
rvnash wrote:I use an iPhone.

I don't understand what people mean by leaving your client running. If I start Waze, and then switch to another App, is it still registering my driving? If it stays idle for a long time in the background, is it still registering? If it stops registering will it pick up again when I start driving? How can I tell? Do I need to make the app "active" again to make it start?

I also don't know what you mean by "shutting it down". So does killing the app by clicking on the "x" in the running app list count as shutting it down, or are you talking only about the "close" button in the app? Does clicking the "x" cause an upload? If the upload fails, does it keep my data if and try later when I restart the app, or just throw it away?

Can Waze explain with some clarity how all of this works?
I thought Waze shuts off after it's running in the background for 10 minutes. You'll still have the Waze notification icon in the notification bar but when you go back to the app you'll notice it has to load again as if you're launching the app for the first time.
Grid64
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by Grid64
novarider79 wrote:Is there a way to automate shut down of Waze when removed from the car dock?
Not natively. However, if your phone has NFC you can buy an NFC chip, place it in the dock, and use an app to make it exit Waze when it's not in the dock. You can also have the chip make it so it launches Waze when it's placed in the dock. :)
Grid64
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by Ikkabar
You should always stop the Waze client if you are not driving your car. This avoids any false data that may lead to phantom traffic jams if you're stopped on a lightly trafficked road.

The client will upload your drive data, but there will be a delay until the drive session is processed and is shown in your drive list. Your points for the drive are only updated once a day, so you won't see them increase immediately.
Ikkabar
Send a message
Area Manager for North Co. Antrim & North Co. Derry/Londonderry, Northern Ireland - Twitter
"Mapping the world one segment at a time"
iPhone 4S (iOS 6.0) & Waze 3.6
If I'm not editing, I've got lost in Minecraft.. or Farming Simulator..

Post by JohnDoe75
Why don't you manually upload your logs by going to Settings, Help and then Send Logs.

And yes you should turn off the app with the Switch Off button.
JohnDoe75
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message