Do you leave your client running?

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Do you leave your client running?

Postby rvnash » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:04 pm

I use an iPhone.

I don't understand what people mean by leaving your client running. If I start Waze, and then switch to another App, is it still registering my driving? If it stays idle for a long time in the background, is it still registering? If it stops registering will it pick up again when I start driving? How can I tell? Do I need to make the app "active" again to make it start?

I also don't know what you mean by "shutting it down". So does killing the app by clicking on the "x" in the running app list count as shutting it down, or are you talking only about the "close" button in the app? Does clicking the "x" cause an upload? If the upload fails, does it keep my data if and try later when I restart the app, or just throw it away?

Can Waze explain with some clarity how all of this works?
rvnash

Postby JohnDoe75 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:51 pm

Why don't you manually upload your logs by going to Settings, Help and then Send Logs.

And yes you should turn off the app with the Switch Off button.
CM France
RM IDF - AM Paris France
AM Auffains (Fains-la-Folie), Ygos-Saint-Saturnin France
AM Trentino, Augusta (Sicilia), Suvereto (Toscana) Italia
AM North & Center Portugal
JohnDoe75
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby rvnash » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:06 pm

What an odd place to put that functionality. Uploading the logs is not a "Setting" and it doubly is not a "Help" activity. It would be nice if there were a top level button in the main menu for "Logs" where you can see what logs you have that have yet been uploaded and do it from there.
rvnash

Postby gerben » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Please note that it is not needed to upload logs to record your driven miles/km's. The upload logs function sends the program logs to Waze so they can use it to troubleshoot crashes and other problems.
Nokia Lumia 920 (WP8 3.7.6 client)
Countrymanager The Netherlands
ImageImageImageImage
gerben
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby mattlach » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:12 pm

mdqueenz wrote:The Waze app should only be running while actively driving. Leaving it on while at home/work etc... Is polluting traffic data by reporting non existent traffic.

Ahh,

I presumed they used some sort of algorithm to decide when to collect data and when not to, otherwise how do they know if someone hasn't stropped on their own accord, rather than sitting, stuck in traffic?

I had 3 iPhones in a row. (original > 3G > 4) NEVER AGAIN!
mattlach

Postby thefatveganchef » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:11 pm

mattlach wrote:
mdqueenz wrote:The Waze app should only be running while actively driving. Leaving it on while at home/work etc... Is polluting traffic data by reporting non existent traffic.

Ahh,

I presumed they used some sort of algorithm to decide when to collect data and when not to, otherwise how do they know if someone hasn't stropped on their own accord, rather than sitting, stuck in traffic?

The way they know is by you shutting off the app. There really isn't any other way for them to know.
(Formerly crazycomputingdotnet / ccdn)
http://crazycomputing.net
http://thefatveganchef.com
thefatveganchef
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby novarider79 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:13 pm

Is there a way to automate shut down of Waze when removed from the car dock?
novarider79

Postby douglasr007 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:42 am

rvnash wrote:I use an iPhone.

I don't understand what people mean by leaving your client running. If I start Waze, and then switch to another App, is it still registering my driving? If it stays idle for a long time in the background, is it still registering? If it stops registering will it pick up again when I start driving? How can I tell? Do I need to make the app "active" again to make it start?

I also don't know what you mean by "shutting it down". So does killing the app by clicking on the "x" in the running app list count as shutting it down, or are you talking only about the "close" button in the app? Does clicking the "x" cause an upload? If the upload fails, does it keep my data if and try later when I restart the app, or just throw it away?

Can Waze explain with some clarity how all of this works?

I thought Waze shuts off after it's running in the background for 10 minutes. You'll still have the Waze notification icon in the notification bar but when you go back to the app you'll notice it has to load again as if you're launching the app for the first time.
LG Nexus 5, waze version 3.9.8.0 (beta)
Area manager: Sarasota and Venice area, FL
douglasr007
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby douglasr007 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:48 am

novarider79 wrote:Is there a way to automate shut down of Waze when removed from the car dock?

Not natively. However, if your phone has NFC you can buy an NFC chip, place it in the dock, and use an app to make it exit Waze when it's not in the dock. You can also have the chip make it so it launches Waze when it's placed in the dock. :)
LG Nexus 5, waze version 3.9.8.0 (beta)
Area manager: Sarasota and Venice area, FL
douglasr007
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby OldGnome » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:21 pm

Interesting thread.

All this time, I thought I was turning Waze off to keep from draining the battery. Between Waze and my music app, I can run my iPhone down pretty quickly.
OldGnome

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App