Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

RFE: Report police should allow more detail.

Post by Carcharadon928
I would like to be able to report the following details when I see a cop and, hopefully, see reports from others with some of this info in the future:
  • Driving/Stopped(May not be hidden exactly, just in a spot where you can't see him until you round a bend)
  • Radiating(Radar/LIDAR)
  • Lurking/occupied(Looking for next victim vs. already dealing with stopped motorist/accident/etc)
Any thoughts from others? Often when I see a cop it could be 20 minutes before I can stop to type.
Carcharadon928

POSTER_ID:10991194

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
cyclingpuppy wrote:What is the average time/delay on a report to go live?
Should be under a minute.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
You should never report a police officer in motion... By the time the report makes it to the Waze servers then out to the client the officer is long gone (and exponentially more & more difficult to predict location).

Any officer could have their RADAR/lasers on at anytime (and can turn it on/off), so you should consider it on all the time.

As for lurking/occupied, report it anyway. The aforementioned delay could be the difference between the officer releasing his target and waiting for the next one in the same spot.

As for hidden/visible, use your best judgement... Hidden could apply to the guy very visible from the road, but behind a blind curve where you can't see him till it's too late...
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by btrials
Police @ construction sites; I rarely encounter any of them running radar nor they're there for speed traps but more for safety so I feel they are somewhat of a useless report. The construction report itself would be more useful.

I do try to make a note quickly if they are running radar/laser or with a customer (already pulled over someone). Usually around here once they are done, they are back on the road so at least people know.

I guess if you're not running any radar/laser detector (or you're in VA and are illegal) it would be hard but at least it's not too hard to spot what a speed trap looks like. There definitely should be an option.
btrials
Send a message
btrials Area Manager Southern New Hampshire
Galaxy SIII Rooted Bel RX65 RadioScanner

Post by Carcharadon928
Good points, as a newb I hadn't considered the implications of system delays, etc.

Thanks for considering this.
Carcharadon928
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Don't know what the average is. But, twice I seen a car pull on the shoulder ahead of me and by the time I reached the car a hazard icon and popup have already appeared in waze.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by cyclingpuppy
What is the average time/delay on a report to go live?
cyclingpuppy
Send a message