Missing drives since iOS app 3.5 upgrade

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Missing drives since iOS app 3.5 upgrade

Postby weeezer14 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:32 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:- My morning commute drive showed up within 5 min.
- My morning commute yesterday is available.
- My afternoon commute hasn't appeared yet.

All are nearly exactly the same distance traveled. Drive processing is clearly not happy with something happening during some drives.

What kind of network switches are going on at each end? Cell to WiFi on each? Same encryption on each WiFi (grasping as straws here)?
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:34 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:What kind of network switches are going on at each end? Cell to WiFi on each? Same encryption on each WiFi (grasping as straws here)?

I usually have wifi off, so one end is LTE, the other is 3G. No known breaks in coverage during the entire commute.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby zexpe » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:35 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:- My morning commute drive showed up within 5 min.
- My morning commute yesterday is available.
- My afternoon commute hasn't appeared yet.

All are nearly exactly the same distance traveled. Drive processing is clearly not happy with something happening during some drives.

What kind of network switches are going on at each end? Cell to WiFi on each? Same encryption on each WiFi (grasping as straws here)?

I had the same pattern. It is possible my phone is connecting to a (possibly my) WiFi network upon arriving home that is interrupting the transfer. This wouldn't affect my morning commutes.
zexpe

Postby therubinator » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:57 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:2.) Data compression is turned on by default now. Client must be caching data to compress chunks and send. So it is possible we lose the buffer on shut down if it isn't successfully flushed.

I had always had Data Compression on in the previous version and never noticed this behaviour of missing drives, though.
Waze Area Manager
City of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
therubinator

Postby jasonh300 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:08 pm

CBenson wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:My theory is that if you end a drive and Waze can't immediately make an internet connection to upload the drive, the drive gets lost.

But you shouldn't lose the whole drive. At worst shouldn't you only lose from where you lost the internet connection.

The drive uploads haven't worked like this for a while. The entire drive uploads when you switch Waze off. This all started with the last beta before 3.5 was released, so it may not have become an issue to the general public until 3.5.

zexpe wrote:I had the same pattern. It is possible my phone is connecting to a (possibly my) WiFi network upon arriving home that is interrupting the transfer. This wouldn't affect my morning commutes.

I find that my drive reliably uploads if my final destination is home, where my phone connects to Wifi as soon as I pull into my driveway.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana or Mississippi Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby zexpe » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:38 pm

jasonh300 wrote:
CBenson wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:My theory is that if you end a drive and Waze can't immediately make an internet connection to upload the drive, the drive gets lost.

But you shouldn't lose the whole drive. At worst shouldn't you only lose from where you lost the internet connection.

The drive uploads haven't worked like this for a while. The entire drive uploads when you switch Waze off. This all started with the last beta before 3.5 was released, so it may not have become an issue to the general public until 3.5.

That explains a lot. Thanks. So if I press the "Switch Off" button the app isn't killed - just the GPS is switched off and drive uploaded? I was beginning to worry as to whether "Switch Off" would prevent a drive from being uploaded now.

jasonh300 wrote:
zexpe wrote:I had the same pattern. It is possible my phone is connecting to a (possibly my) WiFi network upon arriving home that is interrupting the transfer. This wouldn't affect my morning commutes.

I find that my drive reliably uploads if my final destination is home, where my phone connects to Wifi as soon as I pull into my driveway.

My problem is I park on the street outside and if it gets a Wifi connection upon arrival it may well not be a reliable one...

This 3.5 version seems like a backwards step in this regard.
zexpe

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:40 pm

My problem would be at the work end, too, if I didn't have wifi disabled, as the default wifi there requires AD domain authentication to get through to the internet, so most non-work data is blocked.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.1 | Waze v4.4.9904
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:56 pm

jasonh300 wrote:The drive uploads haven't worked like this for a while. The entire drive uploads when you switch Waze off. This all started with the last beta before 3.5 was released, so it may not have become an issue to the general public until 3.5.

Must be an iOS version issue.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.1.0.1
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby usa_8ximq376 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:38 am

just ran into this on my phone - however i had connectivity issues at the beginning of the drive, not the end, which was my return trip home - the trip there showed up fine however. would love to help find any rhyme/reason behind this!
--
shrtstck
iPhone5/Waze 3.5/ATL
usa_8ximq376

Postby jasonh300 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:02 am

CBenson wrote:
jasonh300 wrote:The drive uploads haven't worked like this for a while. The entire drive uploads when you switch Waze off. This all started with the last beta before 3.5 was released, so it may not have become an issue to the general public until 3.5.

Must be an iOS version issue.

If you mean the version of the actual iOS operating system, I upgraded to 6.0 and then 6.0.1 just about 2 weeks ago, but this problem started for me on October 6 (that I know of...maybe earlier) and that's around the time the complaints in the forums started. I think it may be unique to iOS devices though. Haven't noticed anyone reporting this with an Android, but of course, I don't read the Android forums either.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana or Mississippi Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App