These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Weather hazards

Post by txemt
Fog, hail, rain, snow. That's it. Why aren't flood and tornado on this list? Think about it....if it rains and rains and rains and rains (especially for an hour here in San Antonio) the roads flood and it usually makes it impossible to cross a road. As a wazer, I would like to know that. Around San Antonio, there are gates which activate when water in the area reaches a certain area. These gates block people from going down that road until the water level goes down. Actually, if it rains here in San Antonio, the lower levels to the interstates are prone to flooding and SAPD will shut down the level of the interstate and it will remain closed for about 6 hours or so.

Tornados? Think about this, too. There are many storm chasers from the professionals (like on the Discovery Channel) to the amateurs (I know 3 personally) who are out there in the bad weather catching the storm and chasing it around the state as it's on the ground. They are constantly reporting to 911 or news channels that there is a tornado on the ground. If they're using Waze, they could report it and those who are trying to get home know that a tornado is on the ground and to stay away from the area.

Another thought I just had on tornado reporting. If a tornado is reported, can Waze be configured to send an alert to everyone who uses Waze within X amount of miles from the report? If we look back at last year as tornados ripped through the DFW area, we will see video footage showing the tornado ripping through a truck storage lot, but what we will also see is the amount of traffic on the highways because this tornado struck during the afternoon rush hour. The DFW area has a population of 6.6 million people. Let's assume 40% of the population is not workforce related. That's 2.6 million people who are going to/from work everyday. Out of that 2.6 million, let's assume that 20% of those use Waze on their commutes to/from work, so that's 528,000 who are on the roads of the DFW Metroplex trying to get to/from work. If a tornado alert came through the app, they would be able to avoid the area, call loved ones to get them out of the path of the tornado, etc. It would also be the first GPS app to actually give weather alerts.

I'm just throwing both of these out there.
txemt

POSTER_ID:8943870

Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
txemt wrote:How come that list isn't available for those of us who DON'T use the voice commands?
Too long a list is too much time spent staring at the screen looking for the right item. Why would one not use voice commands?
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
You can always submit a request from the Support page and see what they have to say.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by txemt
How come that list isn't available for those of us who DON'T use the voice commands?
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
Because the voice prompt is too....damn, I just lost the word I was looking for.

Voice prompt turns on without me waving my hand or fingers across it. And when I want it to come on, it sometimes takes FOREVER to turn on. I've learned how far my thumb needs to travel to hit the alert I need to send out. I can almost do the entire thing without having to look at the screen.
txemt
Send a message

Post by txemt
Could it also be, as those of us go from state to state the options in the menu change. I can't see someone in North Dakota needing to report a hurricane, or someone in Miami or Honolulu needing to report snow.
txemt
Send a message

Post by WeeeZer14
There are more options via voice command (available in the US and Canada only right now) than there are options via the buttons. Including flood and tornado.

See this topic for details.
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator

Post by WeeeZer14
I could see having the ability to customize a quick list of weather situations. Depending on where you live, certain things are more likely to happen or to be an issue than in other places. In the US for example:
New England - Ice
Texas - Dust Storm
Kansas - Tornado
California - Smoke
Portland - Sun ;)
WeeeZer14
Send a message
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[img]https:///V68te[/img]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator