Speedometer displays slower than car

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Speedometer displays slower than car

Postby Lonewolf147 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:19 pm

jasonh300 wrote:Try your Drive A Mile test again. Divot based on mile markers in a different location.

OK, I'll try it again in a few different locations.

Thanks everyone else for the input. 8-)
ImageImage

Motorola Droid 4, rooted
Lonewolf147

Postby OldGnome » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:15 pm

jasonh300 wrote:Car speedometers generally read high to keep you out of trouble.

This matches my experience exactly. I drive many different cars (I travel a lot for business) and have used a Garmin and now Waze. Whenever I have passed a "you are going this fast" sign, the speed on the Garmin/Waze matches very accurately to the sign. I have also done a driving test and the Garmin/Waze are more accurate than the speedometer.

Some vehicles (especially those with a digital speed readout) have more accurate speedometers than others.

YMMV
OldGnome

Speedometer displays slower than car

Postby rbthomp76 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:44 pm

I use Waze on an iPhone 4S. I also have a Garmin that run as well (guidance is pretty well covered). I have noticed that the speed on Waze (and thus the iPhone) is behind when starting and stopping. Once I get to a set speed, both the iPhone and the Garmin agree. My speedometer doesn't but that is a tire thing.

So, I think the GPS units in phones don't update as quickly as a stand alone GPS unit. But then against that is just a guess on my part based on what I've seen.

Perhaps that is what your seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbthomp76

Postby Sahirsiddiqui » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:22 am

My experience is that both Waze (& my old Garmin GPS) show speeds almost exactly 10km/hr slower than my actual speed.
Sahirsiddiqui

Postby simonhowes » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:30 pm

My little Mazda MX5 Miata and two Ford Focus speedo shows 70mph but Waze and my Garmin satnav show 63-65mph. I have tried holding an anemometer out of the window and Waze was correct. Cars are normally given -10% tolerance at max, also switching wheels and tires to different sizes can have an effect if the circumference is different. My friends Range Rover and Audi R8 match Waze perfectly.

iOS isn't accurate. You can only poll for a location once every 15 seconds plus it also use AGPS, DGPS would be the best way to get accurate readings.
AM for West Midlands (UK)
http://audioguy.co.uk/
simonhowes

Postby xteejx » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:01 pm

Also, speedometers are 10% too fast by design. This includes digital displays.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
xteejx

Previous

Return to Waze App