These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Intents on Android

Post by StefanSarzio
Besides having intents for navigating to certain destinations (which I found in another thread - any news on this?) I would like to have an intent for quitting the app. Right now I have to kill it the hard way. This always leads to something like "An error has occured, do you want to send a report" upon next start.

I use Tasker (http://tasker.dinglisch.net/) to automatically start and stop Waze when I'm in my car.
StefanSarzio

POSTER_ID:189995

Send a message

Post by MarkOnTheRoads
I am bumping this thread again because I really REALLY want to be able to stop Waze using an Intent on my android device. Guys, this shouldn't be a difficult thing to do and would make a lot of us in the Android automation crowd (I personally use Tasker) very happy.
MarkOnTheRoads
Send a message
Nexus 5X
Murfreesboro, TN

Post by mpawlicki
I also don't have an answer to your question on how to stop the app properly.
I use AutomateIt with manual triggers. I press a button on my phone and it sets brightness, starts waze, sets volumes, turns off wifi, etc.
When I leave the car I press another button that sets screen brightness and volume, and turn wifi back on, but I turn waze off manually. That's 2 clicks, not a big deal.
My phone also supports NFC. I will get into that soon, but basically I will be able to place a programmed NFC sticker in my car and swipe my phone over it to start the above triggers.
As I mentioned I use AutomateIt, the Pro version, and looking over it I see how to create a task that start an app, but I don't even see an option to turn an app off.
mpawlicki
Send a message

Post by naesstrom
either I'm completely reading your posts wrong... in the first post it seemed that you always used a taskmanager to quit waze instead of just shutting it down as you should. but when you get a reply to that you make a new one where it rather seem as you want waze to know when you enter or leave the car...

if you are complaining about repetitive tasks I must say that yours sound like laziness never seen before... pressing 1 Icon on the homescreen to start it, and another 2 clicks to quit... that can't be to hard :D

Sent from my HTC Tattoo using Tapatalk
naesstrom
Send a message

Post by naesstrom
Tasker sounds really cool *makes a note to check it out later*, one small question. I live in sweden and we're not so lucky to be able to buy the N1 yet (soon... really soon I hope) but I thought I saw in some video that it recognizes when you put it in the carholder... or was that an ad for the google navigation?

well, if it's for the N1 shouldn't there be some way of altering the settings so it starts waze when you put it there?
naesstrom
Send a message

Post by rapido
talking about intents: In the contacts list on my android phone, there is a "navigate to" next to a person's address. The link obviously opens Google Navigation, but if Waze would register to the correct intent I could select whether to open it with Waze or with Google Navigation. That would be great.
rapido
Send a message

Post by Ribs85
mlangen wrote:I am bumping this thread again because I really REALLY want to be able to stop Waze using an Intent on my android device. Guys, this shouldn't be a difficult thing to do and would make a lot of us in the Android automation crowd (I personally use Tasker) very happy.
Hi,

I stumbled across this old thread during a google search. I'm looking for intents that Waze supports, and I've ended up downloading the source to find the answer.

Waze only supports it's own "waze" (the widget uses this) intent, and the geo intent. There is no way to instruct waze to quit at the current time, other than by killing it. There is no technical reason the waze guys and gals cannot add this feature, however.
Ribs85
Send a message

Post by StefanSarzio
I've got a Nexus One.

Of course there is this menu button I could press to thereafter press an icon. But where's the point in that? I want things to happen automagically...what for do I have a smart/superphone, otherwise?

Of course I also could manually start Waze each time I enter the car. But in my opinion it makes much more sense to have my phone start Waze automatically.

Computers (and these phone are nothing short thereof) are made to automate boring, recurring tasks for humans - not to burden them with even more boring, recurring tasks.

Just my 2 cent.
StefanSarzio
Send a message

Post by StefanSarzio
I don't use a task manager - I use tasker. It's more like Locale (on sterioids *gg*).

I have it automatically start Waze as well as playback of my current podcast or favorite music (depending on my mood) as soon as it detects that I'm in my car.

When I leave the car it pauses playback and kills Waze.

Let's have a look at doing that by hand

1.) press unlock button
2.) swipe to unlock
3.) move a screen to the left
4.) move one more screen to the left
5.) start playback
6.) start Waze

...drive...

7.) press menu
8.) press exit
9.) press pause

That's nine actions saved on each drive. Or in other words: I'm half way at my destination when otherwise I would still be pressing buttons. :-D

Even if it would be just two or three actions - I'd still be lazy enough to have them automated for me.

Lazyness is the force behind all advancement. :-)
StefanSarzio
Send a message

Post by StefanSarzio
I have installed some (to me) otherwise useless apps. One for each Bluetooth device I own. BlueDock (you can find the app on the market) detects when one of these devices connect to my phone. It then starts the corresponding application.

Tasker detects the start of the app, kills it, and then performs the real tasks.

You can re-route incoming calls. At least someone on the Tasker forum does. I don't know whether it's provider specific. Of course you can also disable the ringtone - in case that's what you want.

To stay on topic: any word from the officials when it will be possible to control Waze from Tasker, or other programs?
StefanSarzio
Send a message