iOS 3.5.1 official feedback thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: iOS 3.5.1 official feedback thread

Postby davipt » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:24 am

Here's yet another set of possible issues:

1. on my iOS local waze log files (postmortem) I have the following line, average one per second, but with periods of dozens per second, and periods of one per some seconds, filling up megabytes of disk space:
[11:01:53 Error] (sprite) no image found for small_yellow_arrow [poi.c:534 (poi_display)]

iDavi:2012.12.07.11.03 bruno$ dir
total 16704
-rw-r--r-- 1 bruno staff 6970538 Dec 7 11:03 archive_postmortem
-rw-r--r-- 1 bruno staff 1577536 Dec 7 11:03 postmortem
iDavi:2012.12.07.11.03 bruno$ wc -l *
76206 archive_postmortem
17166 postmortem
93372 total
iDavi:2012.12.07.11.03 bruno$ grep 'no image found for small_yellow_arrow' * | wc -l
iDavi:2012.12.07.11.03 bruno$ grep -v 'no image found for small_yellow_arrow' * | wc -l

2. sometimes I loose the ability of getting the map scrolling with the car. Pressing the icon on the left side to center on my position does nothing, no scroll, no zoom back to my position. Need to restart the app to solve it. Sometimes it even switches to 2D. I can't yet relate if it's when a popup appears or something, but I do have these lines on the logs right before I restarted the client:

[10:22:52 Warning] Canvas module 3D is not ready!!! Can not call OGL functions! [canvas3d.c:347 (canvas3_ogl_updateScale)]
[10:23:31 Error] RemoveAlert() - Failed (List is empty). ID 185691169 not found [RealtimeAlerts.c:1063 (RTAlerts_Remove)]
*** Starting at 07/12/2012 10:23 ***

PS: this may be related to me changing the file "user:Map.Show top bar on tap: yes", which I turned off again, but "user:Map Icons.Show on screen on tap: yes" is correctly working (tap on map shows and hides the center/north/zoom in/zoom out icons correctly)

3. I'm pumping the waze voice instructions via bluetooth to my volkswagen based radio (no music from the iPhone though), and after I receive or make a call, waze stops giving me voice instructions.
I can only see these relevant lines on the logs. between 20:27 and 20:29 there was the voice call.

[20:27:50 Warning] WST::OnHTTPAck() - Succeeded [websvc_trans.c:1106 (OnHTTPAck)]
[20:29:22 Warning] OPENEARSLOGGING: The Audio Session was interrupted. [AudioSessionManager.m:519 (audioSessionInterruptionListener)]
[20:29:44 Warning] Sound play failed 'play' command [sound.m:324 (play_file)]
[20:29:45 Warning] OPENEARSLOGGING: The Audio Session was interrupted. [AudioSessionManager.m:519 (audioSessionInterruptionListener)]
[20:29:48 Warning] Freeing all canvas tiles [canvas_tile.c:1785 (canvas_tile_free_all)]
[20:30:40 Warning] OPENEARSLOGGING: The Audio Session interruption is over. [AudioSessionManager.m:530 (audioSessionInterruptionListener)

I've also sent my logs via client. case 1 happened a lot yesterday between 20h and 21h19 and this morning between 10h and 11h. Case 3 happened yesterday around 20h29 and 20h43.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:17 am

bz2012 wrote:Yes, reasonably sure. Trying a 'reboot' on my iphone.
REBOOTING (turning off and back on) seems to have FIXED the problem!!!!

Next time simply try a airplane on-off, to force a re-registration into the packet switch network and ensure there is a "3G", "E" or "o".
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:58 am

fvwazing wrote:I could not use "Airplane mode" to simulate this behavior because that would shut down GPS as well.

You can just disable data connection, next to the disable 3g setting.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:55 am

xteejx wrote:Bars is signal level. It has nothing to do with the actual data speed. For Waze to work correctly you have to be using 3G (HSDPA), EDGE and GPRS simply won't cut it, they're not quick enough to provide a constant data stream.

Sure they are, for regular driving and loading the maps and routing and everything else. Only for TTS, which I hacked only recently, GPRS may not be enough to get new street names TTS files before one leaves the street already, but the standard instructions and previous street names are cached.

bz2012 are you sure you can open websites, both http and https, and can use other services like the email client via IMAP? Aren't you behind some limited access APN from ATT, WAP style with a WapGW (http proxy) allowing only HTTP?
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:23 am

fvwazing wrote:Image

(Mind the little triangle and the red line in the middle)

And the lack of any "o", "E" or "3G" on the right of the operator name ;)
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:59 pm

CKyle86 wrote:The problem occurred mostly while traveling on I-74 between Champaign, IL and Indianapolis, IN in both east and west directions. It also happened while traveling west somewhere between Ulen, IN and Crawlfordsville, IN on Indiana State Rd 32 (https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-86.62 ... 382&zoom=1).

This area has spotting cell phone reception if that helps.

Looking at the GPS data I'd say there's either pretty bad GPS devices driving over there, or that area has quite bad reception, or, being an European, assume some conspiracy theory and wonder if there are some military weird stuff going around ;)
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:39 pm

CKyle86 wrote:My only complaint right now is that about once every 50 - 100 miles while navigating major highways, it will think I left the road for a second. It then makes the "calculating route" noise and asks me to proceed to the highlighted route. It continues to tell me to proceed to highlighted route and makes the calculating route noise about once a minute until I finally reach an intersection or exit. It would be far less annoying if it only made the noise the first time.

Are you by any chance driving through a toll road whilst having the "avoid tolls" enabled? I've seen this exact behavior in that case:
- on the editor, assure the whole road is marked as toll road from the first to the last paid segment.
- on the client enable "avoid toll road"
- drive into the toll road albeit the client advice you otherwise
- once inside the toll road, the client will try to reroute, and will constantly, for each individual segment, make the reroute noise and tell me to proceed to the highlighted road and at the end of the segment that I've reached my destination. >:)

Related to this, there is still a bug where waze will homicidally route people on freeways on the opposite direction, in an desperate attempt to avoid tolls roads if the alternative is too far away. I've already posted a note into our Portuguese facebook page, but we still get daily user reports for this major issue. Fortunately it's not everywhere that there are cities where the only way to enter is to pay the toll and the only free alternative is some 140Km long.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:28 am

perlin wrote:
robin1979 wrote:
perlin wrote:Nope. It's a server issue, so on this version :)

Well, it's still happening here 8-)

Time?

Either cache or one needs to switch off the client. It kind of works now. It's still not aligned. Sorry for uploading the full size images ;)

4121 / 11:24 = first, 4123 / 11:25 = second, letters are lower, shadow is different.
Attachments
IMG_4123.PNG
IMG_4123.PNG (127.02 KiB) Viewed 547 times
IMG_4121.PNG
IMG_4121.PNG (126.07 KiB) Viewed 547 times
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:11 am

perlin wrote:
davipt wrote:I think I found out a minor regression on 3.5.1. When the client starts on my iPhone 4 I see the nice new splash screen with the better image quality, and then for less than half a second before the maps are shown, I see the old splash screen with less quality and bigger letters. It's the bigger black letters below waze that are more noticeable.

Should be fixed now.

On the upcoming 3.5.2 you mean right? ;)
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:43 pm

I think I found out a minor regression on 3.5.1. When the client starts on my iPhone 4 I see the nice new splash screen with the better image quality, and then for less than half a second before the maps are shown, I see the old splash screen with less quality and bigger letters. It's the bigger black letters below waze that are more noticeable. Can try to screenshot them, but it's gonna be hard ;)

PS: this time it was easier to grab them. Here's the screen I see for one second or something depending on the speed of the device, and then the screen I see for less than a second before the map shows.
IMG_4114.jpg
start screen iphone4
IMG_4114.jpg (11.72 KiB) Viewed 636 times

IMG_4115.jpg
second start screen split second iphone 4
IMG_4115.jpg (14.13 KiB) Viewed 635 times
Last edited by davipt on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App