iOS 3.5.1 official feedback thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: iOS 3.5.1 official feedback thread

Postby davipt » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:20 pm

perlin wrote:
davipt wrote:It has been said before that "prefer road munching" is disabled on the backend and should not exist on the client but it sure as hell is working beautifully here in Portugal, mind sending me to weird roads while it rains like hell :)

This option is still enabled in countries where we don't have enough road data. It has been (and will be) removed only in countries where we have enough road data and the % of the road munching is not large.

Thank you. I love to drive and love even more to discover new roads, both for the pleasure of driving and for having more stuff to improve on the maps. I'd still suggest to keep the feature enabled as a hidden feature for editors/cm's, if not for munching new roads, at least to enhance the speed average of the least driven roads.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:15 pm

robin1979 wrote:
davipt wrote:Yes, it seems it's a per country setting, like the TTS and the language list. I've reported on 3.5 the setting was there (and still is on 3.5.1) but got a reply the feature wasn't working at all on the backend, but today I'm pretty sure it's still working as I had a lot of fun driving the crazy roads waze sent me to.

I've kicked this to the developers once again - I'll report back to you.

But please ask them to keep the feature, not to remove it! ;)
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:23 pm

JohnDoe75 wrote:
davipt wrote:It has been said before that "prefer road munching" is disabled on the backend and should not exist on the client but it sure as hell is working beautifully here in Portugal, mind sending me to weird roads while it rains like hell :)

Are you sure ? Can't find the option on 3.5.1

Yes, it seems it's a per country setting, like the TTS and the language list. I've reported on 3.5 the setting was there (and still is on 3.5.1) but got a reply the feature wasn't working at all on the backend, but today I'm pretty sure it's still working as I had a lot of fun driving the crazy roads waze sent me to.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:57 am

Continuation of this viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30575&start=320#p289299

I'd really like to ask waze to be less strict with the language options and the user's country and just let the user select whichever language he wants, and even enable TTS with the non-native language for whoever wants to risk it.

So my case on the other thread is basically this:
- a regular portuguese user can select the text and voice languages from a long set of options, which is great.
- myself I had tried to enable tts via the navigation code, and hence why my voice language setting had disappeared. I could change the text labels, with the same language list as before, but the voice language setting is not there, and whichever language was selected before (Portuguese or English or anything else) would stick forever.

Now the case that is making me envy of a friend, he's been some days in Germany, and when he came back his device has TTS enabled, and the list of text languages is smaller than mine (but fortunately still includes english and portuguese), and the list of voice languages includes two english and two german male/female combinations, nothing else, not even Portuguese).

So in my case I want to try the TTS in english and german, even if the portuguese road names will sound weird, and in his case he's listening to the road names in english and albeit can disable the TTS, can't switch to portuguese anymore.

So in conclusion, let us select *any* text language and *any* voice language and, hidden code, enable the tts and have it working even if not in the native language.

He tells me that the TTS, besides the reading the road names, has extra instructions that I never heard on my device, like "prepare for something", but I haven't heard his device myself. Mine just says "in 1km/800m/400m/200m do something".

please? ;)
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:50 am

It has been said before that "prefer road munching" is disabled on the backend and should not exist on the client but it sure as hell is working beautifully here in Portugal, mind sending me to weird roads while it rains like hell :)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30575&start=270#p285434

I've just done the test with and without the feature enabled, and with it disabled I got my direct route of minor/freeway, with it enabled I was sent through primary and streets in the middle of the forest (which I loved, the feeling of a thin street in the middle of trees with the fog and knowing no other car will be there), and around the villages, sends me through green dotted roads.

Anyway, the bug report here is: please DO NOT disable this feature. If you don't want it to be visible for the regular user, make it a easter egg code (liek the 2##2 debug).

This is a reminder that the setting is present on iOS and in Portugal, and here a confirmation that it must be working on the server.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:09 pm

And another one related to the social part, this time on the client.

If I go to the scoreboard on the client, I get completely weird results, both when compared with the web, and when compared with each other when selecting the four combinations of total/week and country/all countries.

For example, I have 15 facebook friends according to the web dashboard (16 if counting a unfriended one that doesn't go away) selecting all/all countries I see only 6 entries; weekly/all shows me 8 entries, all different from the last 6; all/country 7, and week/country 5, can't see any relation between the screens. Both "all countries" screens should show the 15 guys, and both "country" should show the 13 same-country friends.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:09 pm

OldGnome wrote:
davipt wrote:I didn't get the relation between the two things. You can just set waze to not post anything on facebook and twitter, and on 3.5 it even comes disabled by default (thank you for that!)

I don't know that it should be necessary to tweak the settings in both places, but I did and it stopped the messages appearing in my timeline.

Again, just setting to off the six settings on the client (which are disabled on 3.5.*) will stop any post related to trips, reports and eta's into twitter and facebook. If it didn't for you, you should have reported an issue.

And in my case I have no "friends of friends" setting neither on the client nor on Facebook, only "friends only", and hence the bug of a friend-of-friend becoming connected to me on waze. There are a lot of foes-of-friends I don't want to see me on waze, ever.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:58 pm

OldGnome wrote:
davipt wrote:I have yet another issue, this time a very serious one as it involves privacy. I think this is related to the backend, so kick me somewhere else if you which.

I've just received on my client's inbox a message that a certain user on facebook is now connected to me. Unfortunately I have "only my friends" selected, not "visible to friends of my friends". That guy seems to be a friend of two of my friends though. So I shouldn't have become connected to him at all. I don't see him yet on my friends list on the client nor on the dashboard, but I think those are updated only once per day. PM me if you need more details. My facebook account is private (friends only), so I expected waze to behave similarly.

I disabled the sharing both on my iPhone and in Facebook. That eliminated all of my Waze posts appearing in my FB timeline.

I didn't get the relation between the two things. You can just set waze to not post anything on facebook and twitter, and on 3.5 it even comes disabled by default (thank you for that!)
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:40 pm

I have yet another issue, this time a very serious one as it involves privacy. I think this is related to the backend, so kick me somewhere else if you which.

I've just received on my client's inbox a message that a certain user on facebook is now connected to me. Unfortunately I have "only my friends" selected, not "visible to friends of my friends". That guy seems to be a friend of two of my friends though. So I shouldn't have become connected to him at all. I don't see him yet on my friends list on the client nor on the dashboard, but I think those are updated only once per day. PM me if you need more details. My facebook account is private (friends only), so I expected waze to behave similarly.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:53 pm

kylemore3344 wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
simonhowes wrote:App for iOS loses every setting such as map colour, speed reverts back to km/h, voice navigation defaults etc after an update.

Is this ever going to be fixed? Really off-putting, not just to me but other Wazers too.

That should only happen if you delete the previous version first. I've never seen this happen. And unless people just don't say anything, I don't think this is a widespread issue.

This happens to me after each update. I never delete the app first.

Regards,
Mark.

The settings reset also happens on logout/login, and updating from 3.2.* to 3.5 forced a relogin (via Facebook) and did the reset for everyone. I don't know about the update from 3.5 to 3.5.1 as I did a uninstall / install on purpose. No version before 3.5 lost any settings for me, btw.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App