iOS 3.5.1 official feedback thread

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: iOS 3.5.1 official feedback thread

Postby TigPT » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:46 pm

I didn't found a topic or category for Feature request, so here it is.

Split this post if this is not the right place for it.

Feature Request: Simple speed limit indicator. Is always useful if not annoying and here is my suggestion.

If (waze know current road speed limit) and if (current speed is above current road speed limit) then (change the velocimeter image to one with the proibit sign or something like that).

Reverse this if speed is below or if enter a road of unknown speed limit.
TigPT

Postby jasonh300 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:54 pm

TigPT wrote:I didn't found a topic or category for Feature request, so here it is.

Split this post if this is not the right place for it.

Feature Request: Simple speed limit indicator. Is always useful if not annoying and here is my suggestion.

If (waze know current road speed limit) and if (current speed is above current road speed limit) then (change the velocimeter image to one with the proibit sign or something like that).

Reverse this if speed is below or if enter a road of unknown speed limit.

The problem is that there's no reliable way to gather this data without Waze going from a free app to a very expensive app.

It could be crowdsourced like a lot of the other data we currently have, but the data would have to be 100% complete before it would be reliable...that would never happen.

I had a GPS app on an old Window Phone several years back with a speed limit and overspeed alert feature. However, it seemed to guess the speed limit based on the road type. The problem was that is that it was rarely right. It often thought the speed limit was 45 when it was actually 30. Any interstate highway was set at 70, even through cities where the speed limit dropped as low as 50.
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
South-Central Regional Coordinator
(LA/MS/AR...contact karlcr9911 for TX/OK related issues)
U.S. Champ, Global Champ
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice
Ask me about Louisiana Editors Chat in Google Hangouts!
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby TigPT » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Well the info is available based on map editor crowdsourced but yes, it can't be 100% reliable, but thats is true for maps and other info on waze.
TigPT

Postby OldGnome » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:46 pm

TigPT wrote:Well the info is available based on map editor crowdsourced but yes, it can't be 100% reliable, but thats is true for maps and other info on waze.

There are a number of threads on this topic. The results boil down to, "yes, it can be useful information, but it won't be accurate enough to rely upon."

We all realize the maps are also crowd-sourced, but that happens as a result of driving and editing. There is no way to capture the speed limit information as a result of driving. It will never be anywhere near as accurate as the maps.
OldGnome

Postby McCracken808 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:43 pm

I would ask that Waze check it's ETA calculations. I regularly drive a route that takes me 1.5 - 2 hours with traffic. When I start the route, Waze gives me an ETA of 30-35 mins. It's wrong everytime.
Aloha,
Douglas

AM - Hawaii

ImageImageImage
Waze Resources:
Waze Wiki, Landmarks Guideline, Area Manager Wiki, Best Practices

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.1, Waze 3.8, Mazda3
McCracken808

Postby ahcheong » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:55 am

May I know why the map updated, but the paved route (red line) still appear in waze client?

I'm using iPhone 4 with iOS 6.0.1

Please advice.

ahcheong

Postby weeezer14 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:37 am

ahcheong wrote:May I know why the map updated, but the paved route (red line) still appear in waze client?

Please advice.

It has been this way for a very long time (or forever). You can think of it as a bug OR a feature -- it lets you verify that the roads ended up where you recorded them ;)
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14

Postby ahcheong » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:42 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:It has been this way for a very long time (or forever). You can think of it as a bug OR a feature -- it lets you verify that the roads ended up where you recorded them ;)

so waze will consider it as bug and try to fix it?
ahcheong

Postby perlin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:36 pm

McCracken808 wrote:I would ask that Waze check it's ETA calculations. I regularly drive a route that takes me 1.5 - 2 hours with traffic. When I start the route, Waze gives me an ETA of 30-35 mins. It's wrong everytime.

What are the origin and destination points of the route?
Join Waze. We have cookies..
perlin
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby perlin » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:28 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:
ahcheong wrote:May I know why the map updated, but the paved route (red line) still appear in waze client?

Please advice.

It has been this way for a very long time (or forever). You can think of it as a bug OR a feature -- it lets you verify that the roads ended up where you recorded them ;)

Red paved roads will disappear from the client after some time, regardless of map update process. Usually after an upgrade or a clean installation.
Join Waze. We have cookies..
perlin
Waze Team
Waze Team

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App