Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Still encountering bug upon APP initialization w/latest rel

Post by
Still encountering bug upon APP initialization w/latest 3.5.1.0 build.

This issue was previously reported: http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... ly#p285992

And is still prevailing. Logs have been sent to WAZE team for analysis.

POSTER_ID:7395886

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
And you have done a clean install correct? (Delete, reboot phone, install from app store. The reboot is actually important in this case.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Joe, you may also want to put Waze into debug mode by navigating to 2##2. Then shut down and start it up again. After it throws the error, upload logs from Settings or Help. Then, open a nanorep ticket from the QuickHelp box on the Support page. Use the Email function and in the details, note the time that logs were uploaded.

(2##2 is a toggle between warning and debug mode. Warning is the normal mode. You should switch it back when done with the above.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
joeclassic wrote:Enabled debug mode and reproduced the issue twice followed by uploading of logs to WAZE.
Good stuff. I really hope this can help them nail down that bug. It seems pretty reliable, so finding the error I hope will be easy.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
tmigar wrote:Exit Waze using home button.
Like gerben said, use the actual correct way to Exit Waze which is the Switch Off button in the main menu. Otherwise, Waze just runs in the background and then you force-kill it. Not the right way to do it at all.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sivigamer wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Like gerben said, use the actual correct way to Exit Waze which is the Switch Off button in the main menu. Otherwise, Waze just runs in the background and then you force-kill it. Not the right way to do it at all.
Using an in app menu is not the normal way to exit an iOS app or any mobile app for that matter. It shouldn't give errors for quitting.
Waze is not a "normal" iOS app and therefore requires something different for proper exit. Apple Maps doesn't quit when I background it either if it's navigation mode. Are you calling that not "normal" as well? There are certain apps which have flags to work in the background, such as VoIP and navigation apps. Many of them do not exit when hitting the home button. That is just the way these kinds of apps are designed to work. Users need to know this to understand how to properly use the apps.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
HarveyMRichards wrote:I think sivigamer is saying that the normal iOS way to fully exit an app is to double click the home button, which brings up the recent apps, hold down an app and when the app jiggles, click on the upper left (-) button.

So, when I use the switch off button within the Waze menu, does Waze cease to operate even though it's still active in the recent apps list?
Apps in the multi-task list are not necessarily running. All apps recently used, running or not, are listed there. Waze happens to keep running when the home button is tapped. Most applications are not written this way and cease operation and receive no CPU time nor memory allocation once they exit. The applications in the multitask list are, by and large, not using CPU or memory.

When you exit Waze using the "Switch off" button in the main menu or use one of the various voice commands to accomplish the same, it properly exits and is allowed to finish upload of any pending drive data before terminating.

Search the 'net and you'll find many articles about people's misunderstanding of this list.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
HarveyMRichards wrote:I have found that my GPS apps, Navigon, Motion X, and Trail Maps to name a few, will continue to run while still in the mutli-task list. In fact they will run my battery down very quickly. Therefore, I try to make sure I remove them from the multi-task list.
I am curious how one proves they are running, exactly? I would love to be able to find that out. Anecdotal info is one thing, but something which could show CPU time would be excellent. I have had no issues with Waze when shut down the correct way, FYI. The GPS icon stays on for 10-15 seconds, but I think that's an iOS lag.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
HarveyMRichards wrote:Will Waze run in the background?
Oh, yes, definitely. It is designed to run in the background at all times, navigation mode or not. Lots of drivers run Waze in non-navigation mode. The only way to properly quit the app is to use the function within the app.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
rcenteno_davis wrote:Now I haven't written any iOS app before (and this is directed at the app developers) but is there a way to detect the difference between a true app crash vs. the removal-by-icon-dance?
This "crash" log upload is fixed in the next version already. However, as noted before, when you force close the app by using the multitask list rather than using the provided "Switch Off" button, you are possibly going to cause problems because 1) the app is still running, and 2) data about your drive (and therefore points) may be lost due to not allowing Waze to upload data.

Using the Switch Off button is a heck of a lot faster than tapping home, double-tapping home, holding on the icon, tapping the - button, and tapping home. That process is longer by probably 10 seconds. I fail to understand why anyone would rather do that than just tap Menu->Switch off.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by alien12345
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Using an in app menu is not the normal way to exit an iOS app or any mobile app for that matter. It shouldn't give errors for quitting.
alien12345
Send a message