Map Tiles failing to load?

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Map Tiles failing to load?

Postby CBenson » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:28 pm

jhfrontz wrote:they've got to be in a desperate race to . . . remain viable in the eyes of their VC

+1
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby CrackedLCD » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:43 am

I've driven areas with no map tiles before, when cellular data was both strong and weak so it could be either weak connectivity or a problem on Waze's end. The biggest missing chunk of data I had was about 40 miles long on a road trip. I checked my signal and even pulled up data from other apps no problem, but Waze was dead. In that case, I did a support ticket and they said there was a server problem that day. But in other instances I think it's due to having poor signal / no signal or being on GPRS/EDGE or 1x/RTT low speed data access. Waze is incredibly intolerant of slow data speeds, to the point that sometimes it says I have no connection even in 3G areas and while other background apps work fine.

The two areas where "missing road" URs are filed the most are two different stretches of interstate where only Verizon and AT&T have 3G service… everyone else is GPRS or 1x and I suspect Waze is just being a baby and timing out on those slow connections.
~CrackedLCD
AM for Baldwin-Mobile Cos., AL // Grenada-LeFlore-Carroll Cos., MS // Escambia-Santa Rosa Cos., FL // CM for the USA

HTC Droid DNA (Android 4.2.2) on Verizon Wireless
CrackedLCD

Postby iahim » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:48 pm

Would be cool if Waze could "learn" the locations with bad cell coverage and pre-download the tiles for those areas before you get there.
iahim

Postby jhfrontz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:01 am

I had the same thing happen to me tonight (driving in a new area, experienced repeated re-routing/proceed-to-highlighted-route updates, with the road itself missing from the map). I've seen dozens of URs in the past week or so with similar reports.
jhfrontz
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jhfrontz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:03 am

xteejx wrote:It is a data issue. If you have a route set, Waze should download some of those tiles, but without a net connection it cannot download them.

Meaning "an issue with waze's back-end failing to serve up data" or "an issue with the new client app failing to fetch the appropriate data"? I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with a bad cellular data carrier unless the latest version of the client app is suddenly a lot less tolerant.
jhfrontz
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jhfrontz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:00 pm

xteejx wrote:It's definitely too sensitive to slow data speeds and this may be the issue here.

It seems like something has changed recently in that regard-- like, maybe with the latest release of the client?
jhfrontz
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jhfrontz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:01 pm

Twister_UK wrote:
Please please PLEASE Waze, announce a freeze on all new feature development and spend the time and effort necessary to fix what we all know is broken in the existing code. Once the core functionality is working as it should do, then by all means layer on as much shiny shiny as you want, but until the core is fixed it's a slap in the face to all dedicated users each time you announce yet another new feature without doing anything about the long-standing problems we continue to face every time we use the client.

I can't see them doing that at all any time soon-- they've got to be in a desperate race to be more feature-rich than any of the other GPS apps, as well as to start generating revenue (and thus remain viable in the eyes of their VC). Unfortunately, as long as they "suck less" than Apple's map app, they don't really need to worry about making improved stability a priority.

That said, there are ways to do agile development without [overly] sacrificing stability-- if they had an effective automated regression testing environment (that could simulate network latencies, etc.), they could fix a lot of these problems before we ever see them. But that requires either starting from the get-go with something like TDD or spending a lot of resources retrofitting that into your development environment/culture.
jhfrontz
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Texernie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:30 am

While driving today (into new territory where tiles had not been previously loaded), I noticed several areas where the maps looked like a tile or two were missing. Another Wazer that I know reported the same thing. I use the Android version while he used the version for the iPad.

While working on some UR, I noticed a stretch of road that had 4 reports for missing roads. If I remember right, this is one of the same areas where I noticed the same problem.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-97.14 ... TTTTTTTTFT

With 4 reports on the same stretch of road, is it possible that the tiles didn't get generated?
Thanks,
Keith Henderson
Texernie

Postby Texernie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:28 pm

I know in the area I was driving, there was spotty cell coverage at times. The outages generally only lasted a few miles. The missing segments of the map looked like 1 tile, out of the several required for the area, was missing. You could see the missing tile approaching. I was being routed both times I went through the areas. You would think that if the issue was the cell network, that Waze would have picked up the tiles on of the 2 times.

The area that I linked to is an interstate and has good coverage for miles around. There are some "mountains" in southern Oklahoma that blocks the signals for maybe a half mile as you go over the top and hit a new tower.
Thanks,
Keith Henderson
Texernie

Postby Twister-UK » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 pm

xteejx wrote:And cache everything else too including reports, traffic etc to be sent when there IS signal but we've asked for hat numerous times.

And we'll continue to ask, demand, beg, holler, scream, shout and stamp our feet for it, until someone at Waze HQ takes an executive decision to make the coding team focus exclusively on features and functionality of genuine importance to a satnav client, rather than continuing to bloat it out with puff and eye candy and social networky-type crap that only serves to get in the way.

Just this morning, driving along a fairly busy country lane, 60mph limit and semi-blind bends, I came round one bend to find a car parked backwards in the hedgerow with another car parked next to it blocking half the road... exactly the sort of incident that calls for a Waze accident report. Unfortunately, having filled out the details and tapped the send button, I was then filled with a sense of impending doom as the phone screen was filled with the spinny Waze Wheel of Impending Failure, and sure enough about 30 seconds later I was greeted with the all too familiar error message containing it's almost always useless suggestion to try again later. Sure Waze, why don't I do that, why don't I wait for your flakey network code to re-establish a link to the rest of the world, and then send a fresh report about an incident which is now miles away...

Please please PLEASE Waze, announce a freeze on all new feature development and spend the time and effort necessary to fix what we all know is broken in the existing code. Once the core functionality is working as it should do, then by all means layer on as much shiny shiny as you want, but until the core is fixed it's a slap in the face to all dedicated users each time you announce yet another new feature without doing anything about the long-standing problems we continue to face every time we use the client.
L4 AM for NW London and Shetland Islands - HTC One X/Android 4.1.1
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ userscripts.org and Chrome Web Store
Twister-UK

Next

Return to Waze App