Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Forum rules
Waze App Useful Resources

Map Tiles failing to load?

Post by
While driving today (into new territory where tiles had not been previously loaded), I noticed several areas where the maps looked like a tile or two were missing. Another Wazer that I know reported the same thing. I use the Android version while he used the version for the iPad.

While working on some UR, I noticed a stretch of road that had 4 reports for missing roads. If I remember right, this is one of the same areas where I noticed the same problem.

https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-97.14 ... TTTTTTTTFT

With 4 reports on the same stretch of road, is it possible that the tiles didn't get generated?

POSTER_ID:8121022

Send a message

Post by CBenson
jhfrontz wrote:they've got to be in a desperate race to . . . remain viable in the eyes of their VC
+1
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CrackedLCD
I've driven areas with no map tiles before, when cellular data was both strong and weak so it could be either weak connectivity or a problem on Waze's end. The biggest missing chunk of data I had was about 40 miles long on a road trip. I checked my signal and even pulled up data from other apps no problem, but Waze was dead. In that case, I did a support ticket and they said there was a server problem that day. But in other instances I think it's due to having poor signal / no signal or being on GPRS/EDGE or 1x/RTT low speed data access. Waze is incredibly intolerant of slow data speeds, to the point that sometimes it says I have no connection even in 3G areas and while other background apps work fine.

The two areas where "missing road" URs are filed the most are two different stretches of interstate where only Verizon and AT&T have 3G service… everyone else is GPRS or 1x and I suspect Waze is just being a baby and timing out on those slow connections.
CrackedLCD
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
It is a data issue. If you have a route set, Waze should download some of those tiles, but without a net connection it cannot download them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
I get that sometimes too. Without a reliable 3G HSDPA connection Waze will just sit there with 'no data connection'. It's definitely too sensitive to slow data speeds and this may be the issue here.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
And cache everything else too including reports, traffic etc to be sent when there IS signal but we've asked for hat numerous times.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
I've had issues since 3.2 but no real fix yet :-(

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
Agree with twister completely but I can see the point of raising money. Pointless having features that don't work though and adding more on top of the broken core functionalities.

floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by iahim
Would be cool if Waze could "learn" the locations with bad cell coverage and pre-download the tiles for those areas before you get there.
iahim
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
I had the same thing happen to me tonight (driving in a new area, experienced repeated re-routing/proceed-to-highlighted-route updates, with the road itself missing from the map). I've seen dozens of URs in the past week or so with similar reports.
MisterMooCow
Send a message

Post by MisterMooCow
xteejx wrote:It is a data issue. If you have a route set, Waze should download some of those tiles, but without a net connection it cannot download them.
Meaning "an issue with waze's back-end failing to serve up data" or "an issue with the new client app failing to fetch the appropriate data"? I'm pretty sure it's not an issue with a bad cellular data carrier unless the latest version of the client app is suddenly a lot less tolerant.
MisterMooCow
Send a message