Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby bigdragon26 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:54 am

I just finished reading the thread. (good for me (ha ha)) ;-)
I have made a post once about roads I can't drive. I'm an HVAC technician and I have compressed gas cylinders in my truck (ford E250 small truck) but in my province I have a couple roads I can't use. It would be nice if we could tell waze client app what type of vehicule we are driving. So when I'm driving the compagnie truck I can set it to my work vehicule and my normal car for the rest of the time.

Thanks

BD

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4
ImageImageImage
I can help you in English, Je peux vous aider en Francais, Los puedo ayudar en Español
bigdragon26

Postby bobbeaton » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:11 am

As a new Waze user, I find the point system somewhat of an enjoyable game. However, the playing field is not level. While I drive about 900 miles a week for work, I doubt I can compete with the truck drivers in terms of their weekly mileage (and point accumulations). Likewise, I doubt that the motorcyclists can compete effectively with either the 4-wheelers or the 18-wheelers. I think it would be more interesting for Wazer's who attend to the point system to select and compete within one of at least three vehicle type classes--commercial trucks, private autos, and motorcycles. I do recognize that other vehicle categories may be needed as well, such as RVs, buses, taxis, street cars, light rail trains and streetcars, etc. But, a simple stratification of vehicle types (e.g., truck, car, bikes) in the point rankings would be a great step in the right direction.
bobbeaton

Postby boodieman72 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Another vote for truck routes. Just think off all the data Waze could get with a truck drivers using it.
boodieman72

Postby Borgholio » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:41 pm

For the love of God, please bring back "minimize turns"! That's the one navigation feature I want to see above all else. Nothing is more annoying than seeing Waze plot a zigzag pattern through side streets instead of the (more sensible) route of taking primary streets with a minimum of turns and intersections.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby Borgholio » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:39 am

skbun wrote:Just for sanity, is the area you're talking about properly populated with primary streets, etc.? Waze doesn't necessarily know a primary street is one unless it's been typed that way in the editor...

Nope, I'm talking about many areas that are fairly typical...primary streets forming a big grid with smaller side streets inside. Sometimes Waze will take a zig-zag course through side streets because it believes it will be quicker than going a slightly longer way over primary streets. It doesn't factor in all the left turns and stop signs that slow things down.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Borgholio
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby BridgeAce » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:04 am

I find waze especially useful when I cycle somewhere instead of driving. You can pair up with your online Facebook friends much more easily.

But, it probably wreaks havoc with the waze maps (especially in towns and cities) so a transport-type button might lead to less map errors.
BridgeAce

Postby BridgeAce » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:56 pm

AndyPoms wrote:
ictag wrote:I find waze especially useful when I cycle somewhere instead of driving. You can pair up with your online Facebook friends much more easily.
Waze is NOT for use on bicycles.

Oh. Ok.
But my guess is that may have been the original reason for waze but that it's being increasingly used by pedestrians and cyclists because of the the cool new Facebook features. Particularly in Europe.
BridgeAce

Postby BridgeAce » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:40 pm

fvwazing wrote:Alas, we will find them in the traffic accident statistics, like these:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=pedestri ... 1&ie=UTF-8
https://www.google.nl/search?q=pedestri ... t&safe=off

OMG...I never used waze to navigate cycling or walking in town. That is crazy! You know the way already.
But waze is good for seeing which of your friends are also wandering around in town/cycling-to-work.
BridgeAce

Postby bryce7up » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:04 pm

+ 1 for the motorcycle option !!

In France, it is permissible for motorcycles to ride between rows .
The problem today is that the speed of data collected by the application are not good , but the events of alert should.
All waze' bikers should be able to contribute to signaling events without screwing up the datas
bryce7up

Postby CBenson » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:36 pm

I'm in the Washington, DC region of the United States and believe that you are not really serving the commuters here if you do not take the HOV restrictions into account. Thus the ability to designate HOV roads and HOV vehicles is needed. However, many of the HOV restrictions here are for only a portion of the day. Thus, HOV needs to be a quality/characteristic of the road (like toll is) and it needs to be able to vary based on the time of day. In other words, you will need to able to designate the road as HOV from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM. During that time only HOV type vehicles can use the road. Additionally, it matters how many occupants the vehicle has here. In other words, some restrictions are HOV-2 (restricted to vehicles with 2 or more occupants) and some restrictions are HOV-3 (restricted to vehicles with 3 or more occupants). So ideally, you would be able to designate between HOV types. But I believe that just a HOV designation would be useful, even if you could not distinguished between HOV types.

There is also much discussion about the recently opened HOT/Express lanes in the area. The lanes are available either if you meet the HOV requirement or if you pay a toll. Thus, it would be beneficial if you could designate a road as both toll and HOV and that would allow routing if you have avoid toll road off or if you select that you are HOV.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Turbo, Android 4.4.4, Waze 3.9.4.0
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App