Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby skbun » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:31 am

Borgholio wrote:For the love of God, please bring back "minimize turns"! That's the one navigation feature I want to see above all else. Nothing is more annoying than seeing Waze plot a zigzag pattern through side streets instead of the (more sensible) route of taking primary streets with a minimum of turns and intersections.

Just for sanity, is the area you're talking about properly populated with primary streets, etc.? Waze doesn't necessarily know a primary street is one unless it's been typed that way in the editor...

AM in SW Shasta, NW Tehama, Central Trinity Counties, CA; Mt Rainier Nat'l Park, WA

Postby Borgholio » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:39 am

skbun wrote:Just for sanity, is the area you're talking about properly populated with primary streets, etc.? Waze doesn't necessarily know a primary street is one unless it's been typed that way in the editor...

Nope, I'm talking about many areas that are fairly typical...primary streets forming a big grid with smaller side streets inside. Sometimes Waze will take a zig-zag course through side streets because it believes it will be quicker than going a slightly longer way over primary streets. It doesn't factor in all the left turns and stop signs that slow things down.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!

Area Manager - Southern California, Highway 395, Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County and surrounding area.

Image Image
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby petervdveen » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:03 am

I've got a trailer behind my cars sometimes.
As I'm then only aloud to drive 90km/h, when 130km/h is normal, I sometimes generate a trafficjam.

It would be nice to set my maximum speed then, so Trafficjams are not created that are above (for example) 70 km/h.

Postby Icebreaker1979 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:25 pm

Would love to see a road type = ferry and have the ability to mark it as open/closed based on a schedule and/or high water/repairs.
Area Manager: Lexington, KY
Android 4.1.1 - Motorola Atrix HD (MB886) - AT&T

Postby Suik » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:46 am

I think adding trucks to waze is fine - lot of them on roads (also at night). But I think there should be then a second separate drop-down menu, or an "on/off" button in the future in WME, as a parameter for a segment, to set separate conditions for routing, based on profile(?) chosen - could be applied to HOV lanes as well maybe. And then it would require also specification of truck-restriction for that segment (speed, driveable height, turn restriction, overtaking restriction, weight, dangerous load, etc.)

And so far I still say NO to bicycles, pedestrians. The usual GPS modules in phones in big cities IMHO can't fix your position with such a precision, that waze could for 100% distinguish whether you are on the road or pedestrian boardwalk which is right next to it. (plus imagine the fun with tons of segments with mixed driveability and weird routing during mapdate days - I hope many of us here already experienced and know what I'm talking about)
As somebody mentioned here emergency cars - their data would mess up the data from the jam created by "private cars" (if it all won't be profile-based). Honestly, for emergency vehicles drivers waze can only be a navigation app., they don't profit from other benefits, as they "can ignore" jams, red lights, police traps :D. And I don't believe they'll be reporting something during an emergency drive to an accident (which will be already reported by other wazers anyway :) ).

(Country is in my info :) )
BA-SVK & surroundings AreaManager, Soc. Med. XP
Renault Fluence 2011, 1.6 16V Exception+HTC One S, stock Android 4.0.4, waze
FB pg: Waze Slovensko / Twitter: @waze_slovensko / G+: Waze Slovensko

Postby Olestas » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:18 am

Yep, no pedestrians or bicycles. They are already cluttering GPS points with walks through some places not driveable.

Postby andnym » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:27 pm

I suggest to add the possibility to avoid roads allowed for non studded tyres only. There are such roads in Stockholm. And the law in Sweden requires vehicles to have winter tyres on during the winter period. Som people like myself use studded tyres and if I navigate with Waze it sometimes directs me to these roads where I'm not allowed to drive with my car.

Postby Colin-Pye » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:46 am

It likely would be handy to have a type of BUS, since they often make many more stops than other vehicles, and, as such, would maintain a lower average speed. And since passengers on a bus may still be using the app, it would make sense for them to be able to pick it.

Also, when you see one of them going off route, it's usually because something major happened to the road, but to know that, one would need to know bus routes, too.

Postby davipt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:48 am

Over here and AFAIK there are only the following exceptions:

- the typical taxi/bus roads where some roads, or just one of the ways, are reserved for them. For both-way bus we try to set it as private or red arrows, for one-way bus we set the road only the other way and ignore when there is an automatic report when some smartass goes through the street illegally.

- there are some cars that were converted from gasoline to Liquefied petroleum gas and there are some tunnels and closed parkings (public free/paid and malls) where they are not allowed in.

So in simpler words, for Portugal I don't see any need for changes, unless you want to aim at the taxi market, which would be an amazing idea as there are always plenty of them and having them populating the traffic information of the big cities would be amazing!
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby sk2380 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:39 pm

Unholy wrote:Hi folks,

We need your help:

Currently there is only one vehicle type in Waze - Private car.
All navigation methods in Waze are currently designated for the use of drivers who use private cars only.
Well... We're working on exciting stuff here at Waze HQ, but we need your help!

- Which types of vehicles should be added to Waze's client? (i.e truck, 18 wheelers, scooters etc.)
- which types of navigation would you like to see? ( HOV lanes, truck roads only etc.)

We're waiting to hear you all!

* Please elaborate as possible and state your country.

Type of vehicle: scooter(2 wheelers)
Type of navigation: only 2 wheelers road.

For example I am attaching a permalink: ... TTTTTTTTFT

In above you can see there is a bridge named as Z Bridge which is just for 2 wheelers.

CM India

Return to Waze App