Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby Riamus » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:14 am

That would be where you'd select fewer turns + fastest, without regard to distance. In most cases, that would take you down the highway instead of through a town. I'm sure there could be some tweaking to make it work in at least most situations and each user can choose how to use it. If someone wanted just 100% fastest (the checkbox setting we have now), they could still do that. I think this would just add more options for those who could use some more options in how it calculates the route.
Riamus

Postby goimir » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Most turns on major roads are OK. I can think of a few routes where "less turns" would actually be detrimental to a route. Where you have the old main street which runs along a river, for instance, which is heavily commercialized, vs taking the highways that go around the city. Something like 421 Main st, Jermyn, pa to 57 Robert St, Nanticoke, PA. There are no turns; it's a 35 mile straight shot. It would take you through every town ever and about 150 traffic lights. That's about 2 hours of driving, vs 45 minutes if you took the highway.
goimir

Postby Riamus » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:18 pm

goimir wrote:Now that I've done some map editing, here's an idea for "truck mode"

Favor major roads. Don't use a road of a lower classification to get between two of a higher classification.

Also, maybe this belongs in the map editing forum, and maybe it's already addressed in the wiki, but there are lots of alleys given the same weight as actual streets. There are some alleys in Pittsburgh that are all of 10 feet wide. They're meant for wheeling your garbage can into and maybe dropping your groceries at the back door.

Similar to your suggestion about truck routes, I think having a routing option of "fewer turns" would be of benefit not just to cars, but especially to trucks as they probably don't like having to make a lot of turns if they can avoid it. Someone suggesting a slider option for choosing what kind of routing to use and I think that's a good option. With the current 2 options and then a fewer turns option, you would have 3 sliders that are locked to equal 100% so that if you move one, the others adjust with it so the total is always 100%. If you wanted to have fewer turns and still wanted fast, but didn't care at all about distance, you might adjust them to 50/50/0 and it would find a route that is fast with few turns, no matter the distance.

And you're right about some alleys being very narrow. That really isn't limited only to alleys, though. For example, some old underpasses can't easily be navigated by vehicles from both directions at the same time. A narrow road option that could be applied to a segment may be valuable and could even be set to automatically place a warning icon as you come up to it. From what I hear, they are shrinking the width of parking lot roads, so they could do the same for any segment marked as narrow so it's also visual. I'd limit such an option to not allow it on major highways or freeways. Probably also prevent it on minor highways as well, but that depends on whether or not you can find narrow sections on minor highways.
Riamus

Postby goimir » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Now that I've done some map editing, here's an idea for "truck mode"

Favor major roads. Don't use a road of a lower classification to get between two of a higher classification.

Also, maybe this belongs in the map editing forum, and maybe it's already addressed in the wiki, but there are lots of alleys given the same weight as actual streets. There are some alleys in Pittsburgh that are all of 10 feet wide. They're meant for wheeling your garbage can into and maybe dropping your groceries at the back door.
goimir

Postby Cornath » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:43 pm

I could see adding support for truck drivers. Maybe give them a way to designate route restrictions (height, weight, hazmat, etc...). As far as affecting the listed speed of traffic, some companies govern their vehicles at 55-60, so this may show traffic congestion on th the app if there are several trucks using waze near each other.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
Cornath

Postby fvwazing » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:42 pm

deeggo wrote:@fvwazing just because it's the village of Weert, doesn't automatically make it disaster area. That'll make some unhappy residents ;-)

That was a roadclosure-benchmark some time ago: a big fire causing all streets up to 2km downwind to get closed, including a freeway. Roadclosure failed just as spectacular as the fire as 30 or 40 Wazers could not close any street at all.
fvwazing

Postby woyteck79 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Please make a mode to account for road signs i.e. low bridge, slope steepness and truck/lorry restrictions (or general weight limits).

New vehicle types:
truck/HGV/tralier/TIR - largest vehicle in normal traffic on the road.
Bus - usage for bus lanes
Van/Lorry/Delivery - vehicle above 3.5t but below 7.5t (often allowed in town centres)
Motorbike - treat data from them differently (allow passing traffic)
NO bicycles - maybe they need Waze for cyclists as separate server.
Emergency vehicle - allow all turns.
train/tram - navigation OFF, traffic reporting OFF.

Road types:
- separate unpaved road from 4x4 trail and add extra option to allow using 4x4 trails.
- get bus/taxi/motorbike lane type (could be with extra selection starting with BUS as default and ability to tick taxi and/or motorbike when needed)
- add HOV/express lanes.
- add tram tracks.

Add alerts:
- road surface damage (potholes)
- disaster area/ road closed/no go zone (route all traffic around it unless destination is within - but give warning)
woyteck79

Postby deeggo » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:10 am

@fvwazing just because it's the village of Weert, doesn't automatically make it disaster area. That'll make some unhappy residents ;-)
deeggo
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Riamus » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:02 am

Special modes for emergency personnel sound great, but how do you determine if someone is really supposed to have access to it? It's one thing if you can't do anything special beyond perhaps seeing additional information. It's something else to be able to do something not normally allowed, such as blocking off an entire section of streets (something that could be severely abused). If there's a good way to give emergency personnel what they can use without it becoming a problem, then I'm all for it.

Regarding the initial question about being able to see where the emergency is on a divided road, I wonder if there can just be a note on the hazard that says what direction the road is going? It doesn't have to be a perfect mechanism, but basically 8 cardinal directions. N, S, E, W, NW, SW, NE, SE. It can be based solely on the direction of travel at that exact point and determined by the angle of the road at that point and whether it's on the right or left side of the road (different countries need to of course handle it differently depending on which side the cars drive on). You could probably get by with 4 directions instead of 8, but it could be confusing if you're right at a center division. That could be tested to see if it's a problem or not. If not, I'd just use the 4 major directions.

E.g.
Minor accident
Main St (westbound)
Riamus

Postby fvwazing » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Something like "define desaster area", maybe?
[ img ]
[ img ]
fvwazing

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App