Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby garoutel » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:24 pm

petervdveen wrote:
Riamus wrote:Don't say never.

never.

:lol:
Waze 3.7.7 • AM Sud Htes-Alpes (05) • AM FeedTheWaze 04-05
garoutel

Postby goimir » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Now that I've done some map editing, here's an idea for "truck mode"

Favor major roads. Don't use a road of a lower classification to get between two of a higher classification.

Also, maybe this belongs in the map editing forum, and maybe it's already addressed in the wiki, but there are lots of alleys given the same weight as actual streets. There are some alleys in Pittsburgh that are all of 10 feet wide. They're meant for wheeling your garbage can into and maybe dropping your groceries at the back door.
goimir

Postby goimir » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:14 pm

Most turns on major roads are OK. I can think of a few routes where "less turns" would actually be detrimental to a route. Where you have the old main street which runs along a river, for instance, which is heavily commercialized, vs taking the highways that go around the city. Something like 421 Main st, Jermyn, pa to 57 Robert St, Nanticoke, PA. There are no turns; it's a 35 mile straight shot. It would take you through every town ever and about 150 traffic lights. That's about 2 hours of driving, vs 45 minutes if you took the highway.
goimir

Postby harling » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:43 pm

Borgholio wrote:Sometimes Waze will take a zig-zag course through side streets because it believes it will be quicker than going a slightly longer way over primary streets. It doesn't factor in all the left turns and stop signs that slow things down.

Actually it does factor in turning delays... when that data is available. When/if you can afford to take the time, driving those suggested routes a few times will provide Waze with that information, and it will "learn" that taking those side-streets isn't such a bargain after all.

(This assumes there are no problems with the map--e.g., wrongly restricted turns, disconnected roads--along the better route.)
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:41 am

syntax2600 wrote:
davipt wrote:So I guess the first thing to ask is a Waze mood for Police, so we can see you driving on the map and avoid you ;) (not kidding, a Police mood could make sense, ask it!)

I'd use a police mood. Why not?

In some jurisdictions, the police with whom Wazers concern themselves are more in the revenue business than the safety business (for whom case a "Police" mood would be self-defeating).
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby honzacaf » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:04 am

Bay Area, CA

Motorcycle mode

Today i was riding my motorcycle from work (hwy237/Great America) to Race St. at San Jose. I could have went thru Hwy 101-Hwy87-hwy260-race street (10 min max, even in traffic), it was guiding me thru Santa Clara streets to avoid 101.
I can go thru traffic without problems, and I am using waze for accident reports, possible police radar an other conditions on the road, but I am not very interested in traffic since I am all of the time in the carpool lane going 50-60mph while others go 20-30mph.

So motorcycle mode would be pretty cool

Thank you waze
honzacaf

Postby hsanivaram » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:05 am

Hi wazer from India!

Here we have toll roads where only commercial vehicle is supposed to pay tax. Therefore i would love if taxi is update in it.

On its selection toll demarked for taxi will be activated on waze.

Vehicle type: TAXI
Navigation Type: Ability to mark commercial tolls.
hsanivaram

Postby Hypersky75 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm a truck driver (18 wheeler) in Canada and would LOVE to have such a vehicle category added in the waze client.
As for truck navigation, I've seen very few truck-only roads segments so far, but a lot of no-trucks-allowed ones. There is also the question of weight, size, and hazardous material restrictions, but I think that would be too complicated for now (unless you guys are up for it!). I currently handle those with a truck GPS anyway, but I always have waze running beside it for traffic and live incidents reports. My GPS is also slow at re-routing, so waze is a great backup since it re-routes very quickly.
A truck driver mood, and a few different truck (and trailer) color choices for the vehicle icon display would be nice too.
Hypersky75

Postby Icebreaker1979 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:25 pm

Would love to see a road type = ferry and have the ability to mark it as open/closed based on a schedule and/or high water/repairs.
Area Manager: Lexington, KY
Android 4.1.1 - Motorola Atrix HD (MB886) - AT&T
Icebreaker1979

Postby icissel » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:18 am

I know this is an older thread and perhaps this has been addressed already. I work in emergency services and often times an accident is posted on waze before we even hear about it. When an accident occurs on a highway or other road where opposing traffic is divided by medians or barriers it makes it difficult to determine the exact location of the accident and the best route (i.e. getting on an on ramp to go north when you should go south). It would be great if there were an emergency mode where users could select their service area and view a list of recently posted accidents (or even recieve them as push notifications) to help find the best route to the accident.
icissel

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App