Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby fvwazing » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:33 pm

Cross-bikes??? As I made the image of the trail next to the stairs, I just missed the opportunity to catch a mother with toddler in a seat, she was too fast. And no cross-bike involved, no helmets even. And no navigation too.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Olestas » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:51 pm

Please people, just do not use waze with bikes or pedestrian. For now at least.
Olestas
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Andres-3 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:21 am

Are there any news about putting on a road a "weight limit"? In my country (Estonia), there are many cities, that can't allow trucks above 8 tonne or so. That idea, in my opinion, is brilliant.
Andres-3

Postby leocylau » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:39 pm

Volum1 wrote:Are there any news about putting on a road a "weight limit"? In my country (Estonia), there are many cities, that can't allow trucks above 8 tonne or so. That idea, in my opinion, is brilliant.

+1
UK WikiWaze StatusUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

Newcastle upon Tyne AM, HK CM
Motorola Razr i
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby fernandoanguita » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:32 am

Borgholio wrote:For the love of God, please bring back "minimize turns"! That's the one navigation feature I want to see above all else. Nothing is more annoying than seeing Waze plot a zigzag pattern through side streets instead of the (more sensible) route of taking primary streets with a minimum of turns and intersections.

I definetely agree !
I have got zigzag routes many times just to save a few meters instead of going straight by the major roads, saving time and money (brakes and gas).

Gas savings routes would be a quite reasonable benefit to get this feature back.

Best regards to all active and proactive wazers on the road, reporting online info, or behind the keyboards editing those valuables streets and turns !
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Fernando Anguita Geissbuhler
CM Chile-Experto en Edición y Localización
RM7 Thailand-AM Saudi Arabia
WIKI de Latinoamérica
Dudas?? revisa Como editar Mapas.
Questions ?? Check the wiki first
fernandoanguita
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby Riamus » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:58 pm

Gas Savings (or an Economy Route) would be great for many users. Unfortunately, that's not really possible without a lot of work. Yes, you can limit turns, but that's about all. Because there aren't stop lights or stop signs shown, you don't really get any indication whether you are stopping or just driving slowly through that section of road into the next. So you can't really determine how economical it is. Also, there isn't any way to indicate hills and grade of hills to determine what is most economical.

So although that would be a great feature, I don't see it ever happening. However, we can provide a least turns routing option fairly easily and that would at least help some people at least a little. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I think if we add another option like that, we should consider a set of sliders with a 100% maximum to help indicate what you prefer. People might prefer few turns, but aren't willing to drive 2-3 times further or longer to avoid a few turns. Having the slider would let us set something like - 50% time, 0% distance, 50% turns. In that case, you care equally about time and turns, but don't care at all about distance. So routing will allow you to drive any distance, but will equally limit time and turns. That would take some work to get working well, but I think it would be a good option to provide good control over how you are routed.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby wisedraco » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Need to be add bicycle-type.
Also i see there in waze is already motorcycle icon - it means, a motorcycles works correctly in waze? in example, with motorcycle i can drive mostly even if cars traffic is standstill - it does not generate wrong data for them, who sits in their "metal canns" ? :D
Latvia.
wisedraco

Postby fvwazing » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:20 pm

Gas-savings are an interesting idea but foremost it is a can of worms. Waze needs elevationdata for that (could be derived from gpsdata but with a huge errormargin) and a LOT of variables on the car. Cars with regenerative braking or hybrids have complete opposite characteristics from combustion engines, for instance. I know of not a single navigation that masters it.
Waze jezelf!
600K+ edits
AM for some 25.000 km² around Maastricht, the Netherlands
iPhone 3Gs / iOS 6.0.1
fvwazing
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby wisedraco » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:24 am

fvwazing wrote:Gas-savings are an interesting idea but foremost it is a can of worms. Waze needs elevationdata for that (could be derived from gpsdata but with a huge errormargin) and a LOT of variables on the car. Cars with regenerative braking or hybrids have complete opposite characteristics from combustion engines, for instance. I know of not a single navigation that masters it.

LOT of variables not need. very hard elevations is similarly fuel-wasting on any type of vehicle.
another side is - realization of that idea is resource consuming, and need to be new models and heights data. on another side - mostly all locals already know, where hills is it, and what he can route around that things. also i do not know, what big in reality is that problem, because i live in latvia, and there we practically not encounter with hills and so. as so there must be thinking and decision about - how large practical impact we have from that thing realizing. for example, many electric vehicles do not have recuperation mode, because in everyday traffic gettings from recuperation is very small. recuperation work good as speed increases, from city speeds it return in batterys in braking almost nothing, as fact...maybe there is similar situation?
wisedraco

Postby torone » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:22 am

police/firefigther/ambulance
torone

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App