Vehicle types/ Navigation types

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Vehicle types/ Navigation types

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:13 pm

CT State Police has been known to sit in the median between the HOV & Regular Travel Lanes and do both speed & HOV enforcement at the same time. Our HOV lanes are under utilized, so you could be doing 65+ in the HOV lanes and the regular lanes are sitting at 30mph or less...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby slandrum » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:21 pm

For clarity, HOV stands for High Occupancy Vehicle. We used to call them carpool lanes, now they are HOV lanes.

High occupancy is somewhat of a misnomer, near where I live it usually only requires 2 or more people in the vehicle (not exactly what I'd call high occupancy). Some places require 3 or more people in the vehicle to use the lanes.

Some vehicles get exemptions to allow their use with a single occupant (hybrid and all electric sometimes qualify, buses and motorcycles are usually allowed as well). Two seaters are sometimes allowed in an HOV 3 lane with 2 people.

People cheat a lot, and the cops definitely watch for and will ticket when you don't have the required number of people in the car.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Postby ttetsuya » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:22 pm

Desidered New Vehicle Type: Bicycle, Motorcycle

I use my motorcycle everyday for communting so it would be great to be able to use Waze on my motocycle too.

Waze it's great, thanks a lot for doing it.
ttetsuya

Postby obananas » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:07 pm

HOV vehicle type definitely needs to be added. I commute on the LIE in Long Island NY
we have a HOV land and since there is no differentiation between it and the main freeway all traffic reports are combined. During rush hr waze often reports incorrect traffic. The main freeway is traveling below 10 mph and the HOV lane is clear. It starts to make waze useless.
obananas

Postby itnives » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:30 pm

I Totally agree with this I think it would help a lot. HOV is really big over here in northern virginia. Great Idea CBenson plus if there is away to avoid EZPASS lanes in the route that would be a really nice feature. Too many times I have gotten put on to those lanes using my gps and having to pay a fee.
CBenson wrote:I'm in the Washington, DC region of the United States and believe that you are not really serving the commuters here if you do not take the HOV restrictions into account. Thus the ability to designate HOV roads and HOV vehicles is needed. However, many of the HOV restrictions here are for only a portion of the day. Thus, HOV needs to be a quality/characteristic of the road (like toll is) and it needs to be able to vary based on the time of day. In other words, you will need to able to designate the road as HOV from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM. During that time only HOV type vehicles can use the road. Additionally, it matters how many occupants the vehicle has here. In other words, some restrictions are HOV-2 (restricted to vehicles with 2 or more occupants) and some restrictions are HOV-3 (restricted to vehicles with 3 or more occupants). So ideally, you would be able to designate between HOV types. But I believe that just a HOV designation would be useful, even if you could not distinguished between HOV types.

There is also much discussion about the recently opened HOT/Express lanes in the area. The lanes are available either if you meet the HOV requirement or if you pay a toll. Thus, it would be beneficial if you could designate a road as both toll and HOV and that would allow routing if you have avoid toll road off or if you select that you are HOV.
itnives

Postby DaJoNel » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:25 pm

Navigation type: Unpaved road (well-maintained, frequently-used gravel)
Plains Region
NE, MO, IA, KS, MN, SD, ND
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DaJoNel
State Manager
State Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:21 pm

DaJoNel wrote:Location: USA
Navigation type: Unpaved road (well-maintained, frequently-used gravel)

We've asked for this to be a checkbox several times. Please see local guidelines (by state) for more info on how to type these roads. For example in CT all unpaved roads are typed as "Dirt Road/4x4 Trail" (as long as a sedan can drive on the road), however in Louisiana "Dirt Road/4x4 Trail" is used more for roads that a sedan can't drive on.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DaJoNel » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:14 pm

This distinction is worthless because the road type appears as little more than a walking trail in the client.
Plains Region
DaJoNel
State Manager
State Manager

Postby AndyPoms » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:46 pm

DaJoNel wrote:This distinction is worthless because the road type appears as little more than a walking trail in the client.
It actually effects routing based on client settings.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DaJoNel » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:49 pm

Yes, I know. However, many of the gravel roads in my area are major access routes. Many POI are unreachable without the use of these gravel roads. I was specifically referring to the visual appearance of these roads that make them quite nearly invisible in the client.
Plains Region
DaJoNel
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App